Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Ah which C&C boats are good, this was a 32 the C&C was a bit more than the newport but a ver nice boat that has the nice updates done to it. Thanks for the post about the newport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you haven't considered all of this, you probably should before making the leap.
Or do as many who wish to believe, by comparing living on a 25' leaky stinky, to the 1,000sq/ft luxury apartment...kinda wish I could do that as I think that is part of what it takes to liveaboard for years with no money. I could with motorcycles saying they were so much cheaper than cars even as I road year round in Winterpeg because I couldn't afford both and wanted to ride.

If you can convince yourself that a motorcycle is a direct replacement, not just of a car but of a pickup truck, then you should be able to tell yourself that living aboard is cheaper but I'm alot more reasonable and less deluded these days. Which explains why studies show deluded people are the happiest.

I'd say if you can convince yourself that boating is cheaper, go for it, reality can take a back seat to desires. You can make it happen.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 03-15-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Actually I live on a 1987 newport 30 mkIII.

Pros
-6'4" headroom
-propane oven/stove
-shower in head (may need water pump + heater)
-16 hp universal diesel (mine, anyway)
-hull liner. very few places is the hull itself visible, cuts down on condensation.
-anchor locker
-totally glassed-in keel bolts
-plenty room, cushions all over the place.
-70 gal water tank, 30 gal diesel
-port settee pulls out to same size as full bed

Cons
-blisters on some
-if i could redesign it, i'd give more hallmarks of an offshore. smaller companionway, two anchor rollers (the one is pretty small), deeper bilge, latches everywhere to prevent a great dumping out on capsize, lexan cabin windows for strength. some have glassed the hull liner to hull in places for stiffness, but i never noticed a problem.
-some say the hull deck joint leaks, but I've never provoked that.
-hull liner gets in the way of doing stuff to the hull
-plastic gate valves for thru hulls, need ball valves
-icebox, though huge, is insulated w/ worthless fiberglass and hard to get to
-holding tank is 12 gallons!

Weird
-glassed-in wiring

Mine had wiring completely redone, on account of zeus, but it did not support 2 space heaters without running another outlet to the breaker.

All told, for a liveaboard, I feel she's a fine boat. I'd love to say I've tested her offshore, i'll let you know when i do.

Last edited by nailbunnySPU; 03-15-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Thanks guys. Not to sound pushy but I still am not sure what brands are considered high end brands and low end brands.
Thanks
Uh, oh.

You will likely hear opinions.
Old 03-16-2010

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
from craigslist, just on the wrong coast,
For $25k you should be able to find something good, I just got a P-35 for close to what the one below.
Find some boats you can afford, then find the one that is calling to you, or is that the other way?

'78 Catalina 30 Sailboat - $11500 (Palatka)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-20, 6:05PM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 Catalina 30 sailboat.

Roller furling jib AND main, wheel steering, bimini top, air conditioning, refrigerator, autopilot, shoal draft. Atomic 4 engine recently rebuilt.

Large cockpit with cushions, very spacious and comfortable interior.

$11,500.00 obo. Email if interested.

Old 03-17-2010

damies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
I could with motorcycles saying they were so much cheaper than cars even as I road year round in Winterpeg because I couldn't afford both and wanted to ride.
I find that funny, it is a common myth that motorcycles are cheaper than cars. I have proven they are not (I was trying to work out if it would be worth while to get rid of 1 car and replace it with a bike), I have compared my Wife's Honda Jazz (Aka Fit) to several motorcycles Including Vespa's, the Jazz is always cheaper. My other car and my previous car are both cheaper to run than the Jazz. I have only ever owned 3 & 4 cylinder cars, but the motorcycles would be cheaper than a 6 or 8 cylinder cars.

As always everything is relative. Living aboard could be cheaper than living in an apartment, depends which boat + Slip combination you are comparing to which apartment.

All I will advise, do your sums realistically, and if it makes sense go for it. Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, just don't use being cheaper as your justification.

It seems you've made up your mind, so I wish you all the best.

Dave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, who made a plastic gate valve???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
Actually I live on a 1987 newport 30 mkIII.

Pros
-6'4" headroom
-propane oven/stove
-shower in head (may need water pump + heater)
-16 hp universal diesel (mine, anyway)
-hull liner. very few places is the hull itself visible, cuts down on condensation.
-anchor locker
-totally glassed-in keel bolts
-plenty room, cushions all over the place.
-70 gal water tank, 30 gal diesel
-port settee pulls out to same size as full bed

Cons
-blisters on some
-if i could redesign it, i'd give more hallmarks of an offshore. smaller companionway, two anchor rollers (the one is pretty small), deeper bilge, latches everywhere to prevent a great dumping out on capsize, lexan cabin windows for strength. some have glassed the hull liner to hull in places for stiffness, but i never noticed a problem.
-some say the hull deck joint leaks, but I've never provoked that.
-hull liner gets in the way of doing stuff to the hull
-plastic gate valves for thru hulls, need ball valves
-icebox, though huge, is insulated w/ worthless fiberglass and hard to get to
-holding tank is 12 gallons!

Weird
-glassed-in wiring

Mine had wiring completely redone, on account of zeus, but it did not support 2 space heaters without running another outlet to the breaker.

All told, for a liveaboard, I feel she's a fine boat. I'd love to say I've tested her offshore, i'll let you know when i do.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-17-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by damies View Post
All I will advise, do your sums realistically, and if it makes sense go for it. Just because it's dearer doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, just don't use being cheaper as your justification.
It is kinda funny because I insisted my Motorcycle was cheaper even though:

The extra insurance alone would pay for the pickups annual fuel bill.

The bike was bought new and worth about 5x the pickup.

I went through at least one tire per season, often two if I had even a little fun. The cost of one set of stickies was more than all four on the truck, which would then last years, not months.

My riding and safety gear cost as much as the truck.

And I still had to use a truck often borrowing or even renting,

Yet I wanted to ride so told myself it was cheaper. Money wise I would have been way ahead of the game if I just rode in the summer but that isn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to ride all the time so it was fun.

It wasn't until I was real broke that I looked at things objectively then it was park the bike and get a real job. Maybe being a little deluded can be a good thing.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 03-17-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by damies View Post
I find that funny, it is a common myth that motorcycles are cheaper than cars.
I'm glad you are amused but my 35 years of riding experience tells me it's not a common myth. In many cases (though not all of course) a motorcycle can be much cheaper than a car to purchase, maintain and even insure.

Part of the argument that cars are cheaper is based on servicing them, which many car owners simply don't do.

It depends on what you are comparing.

Compare any car to this.

Kawasaki Ninja 250 (fully capable of freeway speeds, of carrying hard bags and extended rides and touring)

Initial cost: $3,000

First Service: $250.00 (if at dealer)

Gas mileage: 65+ (yes, 65+ mpg)

Insurance (rider over 25): 180.00 year.

Chain at 15,000 miles: $150 (if replaced at dealer)

Rear Tire at 15,000 miles (they last that long on this bike): 150.00 if replaced at dealer.

Even if the engine only lasts 50,000 miles (which you can get out of the little thing if you take care of it), that's still only two of these in 10 years for a total cost of $6,000 purchase price.

You can buy 5-6 Ninja 250 motorcycles for the cost of an entry level honda or Toyota.

It really depends. The most expensive production BMW isn't more expensive than many entry level cars. Most Japanese motorcycles are less expensive than almost any production car to purchase. Most production motorcycles get 40mpg.

So they can be cheaper.
Old 03-17-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just curious, who made a plastic gate valve???
Can't say. They're common in newports. I'm not sure they're not ball valves, in some places they're called such.
Newport 27 Thru-hulls and Gate Valves

They talk more about the 30 here
Newport 30 Mk II -- seeking one. What to watch for?

Incidentally, they bring up a pedestal leak, which I just discovered.

Last edited by nailbunnySPU; 03-17-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.