Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Thanks man. I found a really nice 60's tartan im going to look at i figure as long as it can float i can live on it and upgrade/work on it over time. I agree with you since i will not be racing speed is not a major issue. Well best of luck to you, sounds like you guys have a good bit of work into your boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
I Just bought a 1967 35ft Alberg Ericson, and she is sooooooo sweet, Take a look at the old Albergs before you buy, you can live on them, and go cruising with ease!
Old 04-24-2010

OK will do. I actually am currently eying a Pearson 323. But I will look at the alberg. Thanks for the tip
Old 04-25-2010

Well i got kicked out of my house because my mom is insane. So i am going to be selling everything i have. Which is about 10-15k in stuff so that should get me a nice boat.
Old 04-25-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Once you're happily living in your own digs, not only will your life be better, your mother might seem a little more sane as well.
Old 04-25-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
solman, you sound like this guy:

"Ladies, I have a yacht, and I'm looking for crew..."

Seriously, if your mom is that nuts, i hope the stuff you plan to sell to fund your new floating home is in your possession right now, and not hers.
Old 04-25-2010

Yes it is actually at my friends shop. I have about 4k in turbo charger parts alone, and various sundry items haha. bljones that is true I actually want too be a captain of a boat so I can say excuse me miss do you have any captain in you, then if she says no I say would you like some. lol I plan on when I get my grant for school I will get my BS degree and then get my 6 pack with towing endorsement and later after I get the correct amount of hours get my master 100 ton. I will let you guys know how my search goes. But yeah my mom freaked out on me and started throwing things at meand saying I was a hunk of **** and so on, and what did I do... Bring my girlfriend over, it was a nice family bonding moment.
Old 04-25-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Yes it is actually at my friends shop. I have about 4k in turbo charger parts alone, and various sundry items haha. bljones that is true I actually want too be a captain of a boat so I can say excuse me miss do you have any captain in you, then if she says no I say would you like some. lol I plan on when I get my grant for school I will get my BS degree and then get my 6 pack with towing endorsement and later after I get the correct amount of hours get my master 100 ton. I will let you guys know how my search goes. But yeah my mom freaked out on me and started throwing things at meand saying I was a hunk of **** and so on, and what did I do... Bring my girlfriend over, it was a nice family bonding moment.
Have as much fun as you can while you are young.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2010

This is true, I also need to get out of my rather toxic situation and what better way to do it.
Old 05-22-2010
in over my head

sync is on a distinguished road
Good for you man….

I’m 22 and I’m moving onto my boat this July if all goes well. I never figured there was any one else even close to my age doing this…..Good luck with the boat hunt. Just take your time with it….I think staying in the 30 foot range is a good choice for a lot of reasons. For one, a lot of marinas, at least around here, charge a flat rate, or lower rate per foot for anything less than 28 or 29 feet. I’ve found this to be true with a few boat yards too when getting estimates for haul outs and bottom jobs. Ive been thanking God lately I only have a 27 footer.
I bought a 76 Catalina 27 a few months ago and I love it. Theres just enough living space and I never feel like its too much boat for me to take care of. Sure a few extra feet would be nice, but even 3 extra feet would have cost me so much more between my slip fees and the bottom job.
As far as price ranges go, someone mentioned about 5k, which is so true. I paid 7K for mine and that included an outboard and a $3000 nav system. But, I will have put 3k more into it before I move in. Mostly just a ton of little things….Just be ready for that, I wasn’t……
I also wanted to stress something mentioned above about 70’s sailboats being more resistant to blistering. Its so true. A lot of boats made in that era, where constructed with thicker and denser glass than later models. This saves a lot of money when you go to get a bottom job. Yeah, the wiring, plumbing, and other things might be more worn than a newer boat, but that’s the easy stuff….The stuff you can fix when its sitting in the slip. (When I say this, I don’t mean to sound like I know what I’m talking about, but Ive learned these things from asking and listening to people far more experienced than I am.) I’ve lived in FL for less than a year. I’m a flat lander from Northern Illinois so this is all still new to me….

Good luck with everything though man….If you think about it, PM me and let me know how it goes.