Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
in 1990 i bought a 34 ft sloop and moved on board..lol and adapted from there--is an individual thing--gooood luck--i am still living on board--but now i have a 1 ketch ..lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Really it's quite simple.
1. read posts in this forum until you know everything
2. start selling your crap
3. get financing or cash for a boat + survey + sea trial + slip
4. find a good marina for liveaboards. protected water, low prices, internet, nice people
5. buy the best boat
6. fix it so it doesn't leak and stays warm/cool
7. live on it!

There's volumes of information on little gadgets that make life easier, or what to do about bugs, condensation, theft, fire, food. Living aboard is easy, but living well requires doing your homework.
Old 04-15-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
My wife and I were together 2 years and decided to go for it.

1. We dreamt about it, and read everything we could. Still much to learn.
2. We took classes from Coast Guard Auxilary.
3. We bought a small boat so that I could learn on.
4. We made the decision to do it.
5. We sold the small boat.
6. We started selling everything in house on Ebay.
7. We found our boat.
8. We put our house up for sale.
9. We gave away everything that wasn't sold on Ebay.
10. We found where we wanted to live on our boat.
11. We had our boat trucked to Florida and moved aboard. Still much to learn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'sounds like most learn by doing. Buy the boat...move aboard.
Old 05-28-2010

nev is on a distinguished road
We have been living aboard our 42 foot Passport Sailboat for some 10 years. There were three of us to begin with and we are down to two now. Loved the beautiful teak interior and spacious qualities while still being able to sail incredibly well. It also has a bathtub and shower that doesn't leak! It has been a joy and never a disappointment. When we were choosing a boat we thought of all the economic concerns like most of us and finally spent a bit more and got a solid, totally insulated and wonderfully designed boat. Many we saw had issues, and these issues just grow as we have seen with many of our boating friends over the years. Choose a boat suited for the climate you will be living/ sailing / cruising in. good luck. enjoying life
Old 05-29-2010

shibbershabber is on a distinguished road
The best way to transition into being a liveaboard is the Band-Aid method...

Just do it, set a goal, set a date and make it happen.

We made the decision to liveaboard, having never owned or sailed a boat before. We put the house up for sale, started getting rid of our "stuff", ignored all of the nay-sayers and made it happen.

We finally sold the house... within a couple of weeks we were living on our very own sailboat. We havent looked back and have ZERO regrets.

Dont make excuses, make it happen.
mek likes this.
Old 08-03-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
My wife and I managed to do the whole thing in record time it seems. We were about 6 months from concept to living aboard. After we figured that we wanted to do it, it became a mania. Getting rid of the stuff was the easy part. At her suggestion we hired an estate sale company who came into the house and sold all of our stuff! It was amazing! After the sale they took what was left over to charity. We didn't have to do anything.

Finding the boat was a slight issue but we were looking at a costal cruiser and they are everywhere here in Seattle. We found a good one and then had to line up moorage. (We couldn't get the boat till we had somewhere to put it!)

After looking all over the seattle area we started calling all of the marinas and putting ourselves on Liveaboard lists. It looked like there was going to be a long time to wait as the lists in some cases were running 6 years to get a slip.

It turned out though that there was a guy we met while walking around the neighborhood we now live in. He was on land and working on a garden on the shore line. He asked what we were doing and we told him we were looking for moorage we could live in. He literally said "Why don't you just take my slip in the next door marina? I have a few extra slips..." WHO SAYS THAT? Who has EXTRA SLIPS? It turned out he was legit. He lived aboard right there in a lovely houseboat, and he indeed had other slips. Several. But only one big enough for our 36.

Well in the end we bought the boat and guess what? It didn't fit into the slip! We ended up having to go to another marina and plead with the owners to let us stay. They were our saviors and we have helped out at the marina any way we could ever since.

There are several things to note about this story:

Get rid of your stuff with the help of an estate company. It's easy and clean and you'll probably get more for your stuff than you thought you would.

Finding a good boat is'n as hard for a first timer as you might think.

Getting a slip is a pain in the butt, but can come from the most unlikely of places.

Being a member of a community can not only save you in a time of need, it can make living on your boat more enjoyable and fulfilling than you could imagine.

I love living on my boat. My wife and I have decided that it is a permanent lifestyle for us. Our next boat will be capable of going anywhere we could ever think to go. We can now think of a whole lot of places...
Old 08-03-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone else noticed that the majority of "Wow-I-want-to-liveaboard-right-now!-how-do-I-do-this-what-boat-do-I-need?!-I-need-to-do-this-right-now!" threads seem to be started by breathlessly excited dreamers who disappear after less than five posts here?
Old 08-03-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the majority of "Wow-I-want-to-liveaboard-right-now!-how-do-I-do-this-what-boat-do-I-need?!-I-need-to-do-this-right-now!" threads seem to be started by breathlessly excited dreamers who disappear after less than five posts here?
Guilty on absence but still working very hard to make it happen.

Well, some of us are busy trying to make it happen (house for sale, suing old boss for 20K in back wages, selling off stuff, filling savings, finding the right boat, getting pre-approved on said boat, working a new very busy job to support it all) and don't have as much time to post about it here.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
You passed the 5 post mark a long time ago blacky, but thanks for explaining your absence- I was wondering what happened to you.

You are now excused. Go back to doing whatever you were doing.

Anyone else have anything to explain? Hmmm?