Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010
5 year plan

Geister is on a distinguished road
I'm still working on it too.
Don't give up on me yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
An alternative plan

Or you could go cheap like this fellow found in Nanaimo harbour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2010
California Dreamin'

CaliforniaDreamin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CaliforniaDreamin Send a message via Yahoo to CaliforniaDreamin
So is it really possible to get started living on a boat cheap? I am working my butt off to sell off my stuff and save up my money, but it seems like it's ages away before I will ever be able to afford a boat. Honestly, I just want something I can live on until I can buy a bigger boat.

Where does one find boats for sale on the cheap that actually float? I mean, I don't assume I'm going to get a luxury yacht for a grand or a anything, but where's a good place to start if I can't like get financing?
Old 08-03-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
I think being broke can make it simpler. When I first decided to live on a boat (late 70's?), I bought a really cheap sailboat, had a really big yard sale, and moved aboard.
Old 08-03-2010
California Dreamin'

Send a message via AIM to CaliforniaDreamin Send a message via Yahoo to CaliforniaDreamin
What's the smallest boat I can really use as a live aboard option? I mean I know if it gets too small I cannot legally use it as a live aboard.
Old 08-03-2010
California Dreamin'

Can you suggest a boat? Or any you would advise against?
Old 08-03-2010
santana 22

randejo is on a distinguished road
landlocked for now

i too am working towards my goal of living aboard and to chime in on boat size let me say this i am no expert i have been doing a lot of research and most of the marinas i could find online that take liveaboards i the san fran bay and sac delta want at least 30ft or larger i have found a few that say 27ft and i found some that say 32ft or 35ft now are these marinas saying this to keep out low budget sailors? and what do you do when you cant find a legal liveaboard slip? what are the alternatives? i am looking in the 30ft range for me and my girl and my dog
Old 08-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of marinas have a minimum LOA, usually around 30-35' for liveaboards. There is no LEGAL minimum LOA requirement for liveaboard boats AFAIK. As to what boat to get—a lot depends on what your personal requirements are. I know of people living aboard boats as small as a Flicka (20') and a NorSea 27.

It takes a certain type of personality to liveaboard a small boat. You need to be organized and neat and prefer simplicity over luxury or material goods.

For a single person, boats as small as the Flicka are workable, only if you can deal with the lack of space, lack of amenities, etc. I'd point out that a shower is generally not available on boats less than 30' LOA, and also not a necessity for living aboard, since most marinas will have shower and restroom facilities.

More important are having a good berth—since sleeping is a major part of living aboard, and a good, workable galley, since eating is also a major part of living aboard.

As for finding a "legal" liveaboard slip, many marinas will "allow" you to liveaboard, especially if you are courteous, clean and keep your boat in tidy shape. The major opposition to living aboard at many marinas is a desire to prevent the marina from becoming host to a bunch of derelict, unkempt boats. Having some liveaboards at a marina is often a good security measure, since they are present to keep an eye on what is going on there.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-04-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
I lived on board a 26' LOD double ender for years. By preference I was on the hook most of the time. By good fortune I was not in the land of the politically correct.
Old 08-04-2010

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A lot of marinas have a minimum LOA, usually around 30-35' for liveaboards. There is no LEGAL minimum LOA requirement for liveaboard boats AFAIK. As to what boat to get—a lot depends on what your personal requirements are. I know of people living aboard boats as small as a Flicka (20') and a NorSea 27.

It takes a certain type of personality to liveaboard a small boat. You need to be organized and neat and prefer simplicity over luxury or material goods.

For a single person, boats as small as the Flicka are workable, only if you can deal with the lack of space, lack of amenities, etc. I'd point out that a shower is generally not available on boats less than 30' LOA, and also not a necessity for living aboard, since most marinas will have shower and restroom facilities.

More important are having a good berth—since sleeping is a major part of living aboard, and a good, workable galley, since eating is also a major part of living aboard.

As for finding a "legal" liveaboard slip, many marinas will "allow" you to liveaboard, especially if you are courteous, clean and keep your boat in tidy shape. The major opposition to living aboard at many marinas is a desire to prevent the marina from becoming host to a bunch of derelict, unkempt boats. Having some liveaboards at a marina is often a good security measure, since they are present to keep an eye on what is going on there.
I'll add the Dana (24') into the small boats to live aboard.
Most of the boats <40' have sit-down showers.
Marina's that allow liveaboards either charge more or have the electric
metered.
Marina's in town will be more expensive then remote marinas.
You probably want to look for a marina with: laundry onsite, free wireless, clean facilities, and if you don't like running to the marina bathroom then a in-slip pump-out service.
Costs will run from $200 (NC) to >$1000 (Key West, FL)
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul