Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I too joined this site looking to become a liveaboard, and I am still in the process. The only reason I'm not living aboard this very second is no one will accept my offers on their boats, even when I offer them fair value. I'm looking for something 35-40'.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2010

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
I too joined this site looking to become a liveaboard, and I am still in the process. The only reason I'm not living aboard this very second is no one will accept my offers on their boats, even when I offer them fair value. I'm looking for something 35-40'.
Just keep it up. Keep in mind that the sailing season is winding down, and folks will be looking at paying another winter storage for a boat they don't want or can't afford. I also think there are a lot of folks out there with boats listed that they really don't want to sell. You know "if I could get this much I could buy boat X so I if I don't sell for that I won't sell." Even if there boats are not worth that at all. There does not seem to be a lot of movement here in the Hudson Valley as most of the boat on the market seem to have been on the market for years. One broker was telling me yes, make an offer of half of what he is asking, it has been on the market for 4 years now. Obviously not worth what he was asking.
Old 08-15-2010

ERJpilot is on a distinguished road
Add me to the list of newbies saying I want to liveaboard. I have been thinking seriously about it for over a year, and in the last 4-6 months I have been doing much more detailed research. I hope to be living on a boat soon but I so far have done a lot of hoping and it hasn't happened yet. Luckily I have a friend that has a sailboat (although not a liveaboard) for some advice, and even better is I have recently met someone living on their boat that has been Extremely Valuable for the advice they have been giving me.

I had been concentrating my efforts on boats that were 35' and larger since that was about as short as I could find that didn't seem too cramped. He mentioned a Morgan 33' Out Island and I have recently checked out a few of those and been pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness.

Moral of the story, if you can find someone doing it already, get as much advice from them as you can, its a great resource! These and other online forums have proven awesome as well so read as much as you can too, there is a TON of advice to be had. (of course always take it with a grain of salt)
Old 11-07-2010

RNGypsy03 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

We started on a 27' Coranado, with a 2 adultls, one teenager, and one 8 year old. We also had 2 70 lbs golden retrievers. We did this for a year. It wasn't as hard as it sounds. Everything had its place and we kept everything in its place. My family was coming from a 5,000 square foot home, so it was certainly an adjustment. Looking back, those were some of the best times.... We didn't know enough to hesitate...so we didn't...Just go for it!

We are back for another venture, and getting yet another sailboat ready to go. We plan to leave next spring, but are already living aboard with our dogs. Follow the adventures of the dogs via their blog. (an invention to entertain the folks back home) We'd love to see you follow us. Encouragement of any kind is always welcome!

Sailboat Dog
Old 01-18-2011
AL C

capnscruffy is on a distinguished road
still mulling it over

Personally I'm finding the above two things to be really creating a balancing act of "What boat do I want". I want to go big enough to meet MY unique needs of comfort and livability, but anymore than that and I'm delaying my ability to start my lifestyle dream of breaking away from land for long periods of cruising.

That's what I'm trying to settle on right now: Will I be content on my little 27" for a couple of years while I save for a bigger one?
Old 01-19-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We were looking at larger(45-47) boats and found one that was newer but only 40ft. But the layout of the 40 made it feel bigger than the 47s. The problem is that we were looking at boats with large aft cabins. Then we realised that we will spend ver little time in the aft cabin and mostly asleep. A large aft cabin usually means a CC boat and I really did not want a CC. We ended up buying a 1997 Caliber 40lrc.

We sold our house, one car and most of all our belongings. Our house had a mortgage but we were solvent. We bought the boat with cash so our saving benefit may be more than others. We also walk to work which save a lot on gas and vehicle maintenance.

House expenses = ~$25,000/yr (mortgage, taxes, insurance for house and additional car, fuel oil, cable TV, internet, electricity)
Boat expenses = ~$10,500/yr (slip fee, 6 month of electricity, diesel(heat), storage unit, full boat insurance)

* does not include mainenance as they cancel each other out generally.

We are saving a boatload of money. But we are in our 40s and have put a lot of equity into our home and also benefitted from the real estate market conditions when we sold. We bought the house at bargain prices and then spent about $35,000 renovating. We actually made money living in our house for 12 years. Our house expenses are high because we insured 2 cars, had full cable TV and internet(included in slip fee). Our heating bills have gone way down. Even though the boat is not well insulated it is a smaller space to heat.

We were fortunate that we did not get the itch to live aboard until we had already acquired some assets.

So financially it works great for us and we are as comfortable onboard as we were in the house. We are also very green now relying largely on solar and wind for most of the year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-03-2011

cat571 is on a distinguished road
Finally did it...but not where you would think!

I sold my house finally and found the boat I had wanted for years...a 1986 Catalina 36, in mint condition and affordable. I moved aboard Dec. 18th, and never saw the temp get above 23 degrees for 2 weeks. My weiner dog "Gus" was about to leave me, but he finally settled in and we are doing great!

We are on the Snake River at the base of Hells Canyon...465 miles up-river from Astoria, with plans this year of heading for Illwaco. I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 36 years, so I wanted to get the most out of life as possible while I can. I have my USCG captains license and have had for 10 years.

The one problem I had was the space issue..moving aboard after being a homeowner was a little rough..the folks I bought the boat from left me EVERYTHING that they had collected over 20 years also..so the drawers..closets..everything was already full of stuff...but I found I liked their stuff better than mine...so YARD SALE at the storage units.

Been at it 6 weeks now and patiently waiting for the weather to break....happy sailing all!!...and good luck!
aussiegal likes this.
Old 02-03-2011

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
And the bigest reason is to just make the move and do it !
Old 02-03-2011

cat571 is on a distinguished road
meador....use the calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post

What I found with the help of many web sites and a little buying power...the asking price for my boat was 45k...and I eventually got it for 37k....from what I have seen with market values...it seems most are selling close to 10k below asking...so that will give you an idea of what you can afford. When the time comes...get a survey..unless the boat is low balled..then save the 1k that will cost. Transport is an issue too..depending on where you buy...and of course the dreaded sales tax...unless you document it...cheaper..but kind of a pain...still requires a recent survey..and a pile of paperwork. If you are leaving the country...documented is the way to go!
Old 02-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat571 View Post
,...and of course the dreaded sales tax...unless you document it...cheaper..but kind of a pain...
It seems like you are suggesting that documenting a boat with the USCG will allow one to be exempt from sales tax. That is not the case.

It isn't that hard either. File some paperwork and wait. The only pressure may be the time you are essentially unregistered/documented, but you just carry a copy of your application, which would suffice. Then, when your doc arrives, you must have the name and hailport properly displayed.

Congrats on getting aboard. Sounds like it has been everything you hoped for.