Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003

mark71565 is on a distinguished road
Living aboard and learning to sail, or vice versa

Thanks Eryka,
You are so right. Never wait til we are 95 for what we can do today! And who knows, we might not even live to be 95! OUCH... well, I am taking your advice and negociating with my boss over an older sailing sloop he is trying to get rid of. It needs alot of TLC but I think I can get it cheap. Once again, thanks...
my email is mark71565@yahoo.com if ya want to chat... my yahoo IM is simply mark71565

Thanks!
mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2003

thefantasea is on a distinguished road
Living aboard and learning to sail, or vice versa

Your comments, "My dilemma is thus: Living aboard and learning to sail, or vice versa. Since I have never been sailing, it seems to be stupid to buy a boat simply as a place to live. Do people do that? Or should I learn to sail and then buy the boat? It''s like the old question of the chicken and the egg. ", lead me to suggest that you take a look at the board on this website related to "crew wanted".

If you can hook on for a little sea time on someone else''s boat, you''ll be able to make quite a few of those decisions that have you puzzled at the moment.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2008
MI RHON II

mirhon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mirhon
Mark - Just do it - but i would suggest learning how to sail some first. Hope you don't end up living on a hook a small marina would be nice. I have lived on a hook before for short periods of time waiting for my own live aboard slip to become available. For me it wasn't too bad because I had a small dingy with a motor to get ashore. But give yourself the chance to live aboard your boat, you'll never regret the experiences you'll go through.
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mirhon—

I seriously doubt that Mark gives a rat's ass... since he hasn't posted on this forum in FIVE YEARS. As I stated previously, you really shouldn't be dredging up dead threads for no good reason. Please do check the dates on the posts before you reply. Again, I'd highly recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of your time here. It has tips on searching sailnet, writing a good post, etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-31-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Hell I was going to reply to Mark myself.....
Old 12-31-2008
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Old Posts

Sounds like there are some on here that really get bugged when an old thread is reactivated. If that is so bad, why not lock them?

Perhaps it's not intended, could be a misunderstanding.. perhaps the different ways that some people communcate. Someone may be having a bad day, maybe it's a regional thing. It does seem that there is a more caustic attitude on this board than some. I suppose if it's promoted by the moderators, it would tend to trickle down to others.

I know, if I don't like it, I can always find some other place to post.

JMHO