Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Living aboard? Where to start?

My wife, Nancie, and I moved aboard in 1972 shortly after graduating from college. We practiced living in a small space first by renting a small trailer and not using all of that limited space. Of course, as many people in their early 20''s, we could easily pack all our belongings in our car. We cruised south from Maryland in the spring of ''72 aboard our 1969 Whitney 30 to Florida. Now, serveral boats later and with our two raised aboard children grown and living ashore; we are retired and cruising with the seasons from New England to the Carribean. I may be less able than many to suggest where to start a living aboard adventure since we have never lived in a house as adults, but living aboard does not require limitations in comfort, expenses, or any qualities of living. Don''t hesitate to enjoy the adventure. Stewart Force www.aythya1@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

After about 3 yrs now of reading the various posts on here, and most of the books recommended, the main piece of advice I have to offer is to be realistic about what you are going to actually do. NOT, what you''d like to do, or want to do, but what you actually WILL do.

Unless you plan to live at a dock and keep your land based life, then to me, it does become something of a philisophical question, because living aboard while cruising is a major change in lifestyle. In one sense, it is much like the difference between working for someone, or working for yourself. When you work for yourself, the degree of risk and responsibility are much greater, as well as the dedication needed to make it work, but the rewards can be much greater as well.

That isn''t to say that one is better than the other. It''s only to point out that you need to really understand what it is you truely want and expect from living aboard. Once you''re sure of that, then you can have a better idea of what you need to make it happen.

When I cast off the docklines this spring, it will be as a coastal cruiser, not because I wouldn''t like to sail around the world, but because I know that is what I will do. And while I drool over the Outbound 44, I''m setting off in a Pearson 28-2, because that''s all the boat I''ll need. And determining what you need, to me, is where you start.

Fair winds and best of luck,
John

Old 01-01-2006

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful advice...glad you offered it. I have been gradually learning to think in terms of "what I will do vs. what I would like to do"...it is easy to dream big...but sometimes dreams need to happen in small steps.

Your post made me feel as if I am on the right course...thanks.

Bobbi
SV Kokopelli
Old 12-30-2008
MI RHON II

mirhon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mirhon
It's certainly nice to have these dreams. Above everyone has left you with alot of good information about boating and many of the costs. I lived on my 30 foot sailboat for over 2 years, she was my second boat. The one and only thing I haven't read from the above is, what about some Coast Guard courses in safety and navigation. You plan on using your boat to cruise on and not just to live on, what about learning boat repair. Remember you have only been sailing, what did you say once, you're going to need some real learning here before you embark on such a journey. I know some about sailing but I once got caught in a hurricane with winds of over 80 knotts of the California coast, if I didn't know what to do I would have lost my boat and probably drowned as well. So my suggestion is for you and your wife to take these courses together so you both have an understanding. Good luck and live your dreams.
Old 09-07-2009
Capt Ron

southwindphoto is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the great advise