Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007
Fairly Average Member

paulfoxBVI is on a distinguished road
Cal 39 with racing rig and cruising keel. Pretty comfortable, living on a mooring in Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, British Virgin Islands. Pulling her out in early Aug to avoid foul weather. Have some work that needs doing, but I hate life on the hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
I live on two boats. Kinda of. We live on a small lake just inside the locks that connect to Puget Sound. My parents bought a houseboat lot, (it's sort of like buying a condo, but it's just a slip in small community of floating houses). Our space is 50' x30', big enough for a house, but we have boats there instead. Our main "house" is a Bavaria 50 Sloop and my "bedroom" is my Santana 2023 (23', no head room). I'm rafted up to my dad's boat, so it's easy to use their head and galley, but then I still have my own space. We bought the Bavaria in Spain about 5 years ago, because the boat we sailed over was destroyed in storm (long scary story) and I just got mine last summer. I sail the Santana almost everyday, but the main house stays where it is unless it's off cruising somewhere.
Old 07-06-2007

oceansea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanta
Mike I quick ps to you

I am still working full time so I had to keep my truck but total cost for living at the marina were less than $500 a month. My slips fees were $180 of that the rest was food, fuel, personal needs, insurance and incidentals. You can''t have any debt but living aboard take far less than a land ancored life...

What do you mean by "you cant have any debt"? Some people may be interested in living aboard to reduce expenses ( $600 / month for a tiny apt in SF is too much for my taste right now ), in part to pay off debt.
Old 07-11-2007

svforever is on a distinguished road
The wife and I live aboard a CSY44 Cutter. It is a walkover (two separate cabins with the center cockpit seperating them), built like a tank. Lots of room and storage space. 400 gal of water, 100gal of fuel and more than enought little fix-it projects to keep me more than busy.
Old 07-13-2007

Kimandray is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kimandray
We've been out for two weeks now and it really depends on what you do... if you anchor out and eat on your boat the expenses are none... going to a marina will run you anywhere from .70 cents to three dollars a foot, plus electricity, eating at restaurants normal spending at stores, etc.... you can fit a cruise to any budget... but a budget is a MUST... no what you have and what you can spend, then adjust.... alway have a "kitty" for the unexpected.. We just had to do some minor repairs and thankfully met some fellow sailors who helped us... Otherwise it could have been quite expensive... Good luck!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimandray
We've been out for two weeks now and it really depends on what you do... if you anchor out and eat on your boat the expenses are none...
I'd say minimal, not none... you still have to buy the food at some point to replenish what you're eating.

Quote:
going to a marina will run you anywhere from .70 cents to three dollars a foot, plus electricity, eating at restaurants normal spending at stores, etc.... you can fit a cruise to any budget... but a budget is a MUST... no what you have and what you can spend, then adjust.... alway have a "kitty" for the unexpected.. We just had to do some minor repairs and thankfully met some fellow sailors who helped us... Otherwise it could have been quite expensive... Good luck!!!!
People have cruised on a very wide range of budgets. I know of one guy who sailed around most of the world for less then $1000. I know of a couple that spends that much a week...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Sailingdog,
How long are you planning to be afloat to and from the BVIs on your tri?
Old 07-14-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Wife and I - Sabre 38 on our own pier. Simple, cold in the winter but still great.

dave
Old 07-17-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
My husband and I live aboard the Schooner MISTRESS. She is an Eldridge McInnis design number 138. She is an Eastward Schooner and was built by T. H. Soule in South Freeport Maine in 1930. I just found her original brochure which was made in 1929. She spent most of her 70 years on the Great Lakes and enjoyed many a good race. We brought her to St. Augustine, FL in May of 2000 and my Master Shipwright husband did a major rebuild on her that took 12,500 hours, 12,000 were his alone. We launched her last July, and have done a bit of cruising. We have lived at anchor since the launch and have finally just sold our house. In about a month or two we will be heading up the east coast of the US, then winter in the Caribbean, and then off for an around the world cruise. We are in no hurry and will probably take about 10 years to do it.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 08-16-2007

Doug_53 is on a distinguished road
Well over a year aboard now and we still love it. There have been times when we have asked each other if we are doing the right thing. So far we are. Not much sailing this year but hey **** happens right. Looking forward to the fall winds. We have also moved our Boat th Seattle and our marina is a lot better.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.