Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008

svfineromance is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svfineromance
My wife Flora and I live on a Whitby 42 and have done so for eight years. We live in Saint Thomas, Virgin Islands, work November through May and cruise from June through October.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2008
Tundra Tim

Timothyputt is on a distinguished road
Who has a boat set up on land as a home, I know it has been done. Someone has to have some pics, I have an old wooden hull (chris craft) not sea worthy but enough left to make a cool cabin!!! There must be some web sites but I cant find any,(any help) Thanks Tim
Old 12-16-2008
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
I ran away screaming last October, bought a 76 year old 39' cutter, & have been living aboard since. The boat is dirt simple. DC electricity...no refrigeration...hand pump water. I sailed her from Onset Mass. down to Cobb Island & now living aboard in a marina til spring. Love the peace& tranquilliy, the chores, & the projects. I'm not going back.
Old 01-07-2009
jelzibob

jellyellie is on a distinguished road
My boyfriend and I are living aboard our Colvic Victor 34 in Portsmouth Harbour, UK. We're working for a bit them going cruising.
Old 01-07-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I bought a 22' GFRP sloop for less than the price of first, last, and deposit. Everything is in good shape, and my rent is $250 a month! I am planning on putting in a tiny galley, converting one berth to dry storage, and going cruising. (There are always too many berths on boats... it's a selling point.)
I found that reflectix insulation was probably the most well spent $25 of my life, and that a flexible aluminum exhaust duct, routed out the companionway hatch, proves extremely useful for lantern and cookstove exhaust.
Old 01-07-2009

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
This is a cool thread.

But it is missing some important information from most everyone that posted.

Very few people mentioned the type and model of boat they are living on, and the disadvantages and advantages (obviously as they see them) for their particular boat.

For those that have lived on multiple boats, a comparison of each would be helpful.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 01-07-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Half way aboard our Endeavour 42.

I scrolled back through this thread to see if I posted. I noticed a very large number of posters with less than 10 posts. Many with only 1 or 2 posts.
Not sure what that means but that's pretty unique for this site.

Hey all of you one timers, come back for seconds.
Old 01-07-2009

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
We live on a 43 young sun. We are a family of 5 and seem to have plenty of room. The center cockpit gives us a nice aft cabin and seperation of space. Only thing I dislike is the narrow sidedecks.
Old 01-09-2009

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I have lived on my Challenger 32 sloop for 4 years, very spacious for a sailboat, also lived on a Challenger 35 ketch for 8 years before that, no difference in interior space, the boat has everything I could wish for regarding comfort and sailing ability. The boat willl be ready to sail this spring, only a roller furling left to buy, after replacing and refurbishing everything from the water system to the mast. Spent a few k but only paid 11k for the boat so she's worth around what a decent one goes for now, but her monetary value is secondary to the utility she gives me. The livaboard way of life is the closest I'll ever get to true independence, and the beauty of the West coast as my backdrop makes me really appreciate what I have, specially at this time of year. Only advice I have is don't skimp on the boat's needs, it is your foundation for everything else and worth the investment to support a lifestyle that, thank God, is not for everyone.
Old 01-28-2009

livesonjura is on a distinguished road
If you live frugally, like me, and have no sea anchors... wife &/or children, then a 30' er is a good choice. If you're new to sailing, have no money, or don't care about how popular your boat ranks, then get a cheap, diesel auxillary, sailboat. I sail/liveaboard a Lancer 30, they're a dime-a-dozen and easy to sail single-handers. I believe that you will find a marina to be the most liveable option -showers, bathrooms, electricity, fresh water, internet access, easy access to supplies, sociability with other sailors, for reasonable yearly rates. Transient daily rates are outrageous though. Cruising is a part-time affair for most liveaboards in my experience.