Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009

bselly is on a distinguished road
Marjorie and I (and two cats)have been living aboard our Endeavour 32 for a couple years at a marina. We have never felt like we needed more boat, even with the only quarter berth dedicated to kitty litter. (With a full length curtain and vigilance over the box, there are no smell problems.)

There is something interesting about how a boat can seem smaller in a marina than at anchor, as well. If the boat starts to seem small, we take it out to anchor and the problem is solved. I had a friend living aboard a Catalina 22 for a while(he was over six feet tall) with a bulldog without any worries about size. It all depends on your perspective and how you live your life. I find our 32 is perfect for us. We have plenty of space and Marjorie can still handle the (oversized) ground tackle by hand. The only thing I miss is a dedicated shower compartment…which doesn’t matter all that much since we have dockside facilities. I don’t miss it nearly enough to even consider another boat though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2009

moreforLes is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE= still trying to discover the fastest and easiest way to make the transition from 4000 sq.feet and 3 stories to a 38''-43'' live aboard. I have no problem giving up all of the STUFF that one accumulates thru the years but more importantly; what do i keep to transfer too the boat? dishes,silver,towels,(art and crystal)[/QUOTE]

You might try picking up a used Rv (pretty cheap now with the fuel costs) especially older models with out slide outs, no body seems to want them like they used to.

not only get used to the smaller living space and downsizing, but if you can find a place to park it close to dock.... makes great additional storage space for stuff your not ready to get rid of.

I've never though much about living on a boat, but recently got interested in prospecting and RVing and being fulltimer in RV.

There should be some similarities between the two.... (boat and rv living)

then a buddy offered me a 22' southcoast sloop, definitely not a live aboard type of boat. but possibly a weekender or week or so in a pinch, if I can get it titled and fixed up.
Old 02-25-2009

starchaser36 is on a distinguished road
Chall, i'm located in Beaufort , NC and marina docked... at least for now!
Old 03-04-2009

vessels7 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I are new live aboards. We moved to Hawaii in late Nov bought a 42 sloop. We learn something new every day. What a great adventure
Old 03-27-2009

lostatseajwb is on a distinguished road
Been living on a Bristol 35 in Boston for 4 years now and am finally taking her to the islands in the fall. Looking forward to the trip. Trying to find the best route. Thinking of sailing from Boston to Norfolk, then to Charleston, and then to Jacksonville before going to Miami and the Bahamas. Any suggestions. Jim on Blondie
Old 04-01-2009

cosmo1207 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeyensweetp View Post
37 ft. CC Irwin Ketch, love the room for my daughter age 12 and I, we have a hard dodger which is great. we live in the hook and love it. Sarasota Florida
any questions feel free to ask

Popeye N Sweetp
Hi, I am new to the yachting world and would like to live on a boat. I would like to know if it makes sense for me:

I am not sure if I will get claustrophobic as a result of cramp spaces and in particular, the low ceilings. I think I won't mind the gentle rocking motion and if I know it will get too rockin, I can find short term on shore solution.

I will be mostly living alone with a small dog, my girlfriend living nearby on land. I think a 30 - 40' should be enough for me and my buddy w/ g/f visiting on weekends mostly.

I know about marina fees, which I figured about the same as HOA dues for 2 bed condo in the city. And, streamlining possessions, to be space conscious and efficient. I lack sufficient sailing, nautical knowledge (at this point, but eager to learn more); and maintenance costs, which I am sure to find out; so I figure a power type boat is what I need at this point. Although, would love to just one day just wind power to someplace I feel like at the moment, but not yet: one day.

In my case, it's more of living on vessel in marina, with occasional monthly day outings for now. However, I can't imagine myself living without 3 "land-based" things at this point:

1) consistent cell phone coverage; at least when I am at the marina which is most of the time.

2) TV/Internet: I will need certain cable/sat TV channels, and high speed internet access. I know at least cable not available when not tethered to marina, so is satallite best? if available? or is there a plan C?

3) Some land based conveniences: I like to cook, mostly simple things for myself, 2 - 4 max. Is gas flame cooking applicances possible? some propane thing that works like a bbq machine. Also, heard some issues about hygiene etc; my girl likes to take hot showers: If she can do that, then half the battle is over. And do I need to empty out toilets? how does that work?

I know I would have less questions if I simply compromise to a houseboat; which there are plenty to procure from in my area. But I like the idea of a real boat, a functional machine which serves a dual purpose, along with the obvious water based advantages. I imagine taking my "home" to some south pacific destination one day.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I am living on a 24' Islander Bahama sloop. It's great. I am replacing the rig with galvanized, revamping the sail wardrobe, and going cruising!
Old 04-22-2009

LittleFlower is on a distinguished road
I live on a NorSea 27 and I LOVE the boat!!! She is fantastic! I'm not cruising much now. Just finished a winter in the NE. But I don't live in a marina either. A mooring for this month. Next month..anchor. I wouldn't change a thing, except to do it sooner. I would buy the same boat.
Hey, when will you post the results to your survey?
Teresa
Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Old 04-24-2009

Doodles is on a distinguished road
We have been living aboard our Niagara 31 "Blue Pearl" since last summer. It's the two of us and two parrots. The problem is a bird cage takes up too much room, especially during the winter, so we are moving up to a Vancouver 36 and putting the Niagara up for sale. Love the Niagara, built well and sails great.
Old 04-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i have been living aboard ever since 1990--long story--i own 2 sailboats at present--an ericson 35mII on which i lived for 4 yrs until i got this formosa 41 i live on board and refit now in preparation for cruising--i moved out of the ericson because i was always stepping on the kat as he ate his foods---i no longer step on him and he loves his bigger home......repowering this week!!!!!will be out cruising asap--have sailed other peoples boats --much coastal cruising inn kalifornikation--some cruising in caribean----will be taking my formosa to caribean and louseyanna....some east coast.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.