Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
I checked out your photos, and WOW.
Beats the heck out of my 25', lol.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I personally think it's better buy a boat you can sail. Unless you are the type that just likes to work on things. The cost is always way more than you think refurbishing anything. Do you want to sail, or work on a boat?.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009

Hmm. I suppose to sail.. I figure i could get a deal if it needed some work and I could do it myself. Since I only sail in Lake Lanier, The biggest I would want is maybe a 36' ( wow that would be nice to have ).
Old 09-11-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Then get one that you can sail immediatley, and just needs lots of elbow grease, and cosmetics..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-11-2009

that is what I meant.
I don't want to have to buy a new set of sails or buy a new engine..
just something that needs some tlc.

So where is the best place to finds good deals?
Old 10-18-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
find good deals anywhere---ebay, local marinas....all over----i bought a formosa 41 for 10k.....because i knew the owner--LOL....so just keep looking---craigs list, ebay.....walk the marinas....haul out yards.....goood luck
Old 10-21-2009

unomio is on a distinguished road
The two of us live aboard a Pacific Seacraft 40. We've lived under 6" of snow in the Pacific Northwest, in 70 MPH winds at a dock, and in 100 degrees in more southern climes. All of the Crealock designs are small for their length, so there's not much room. We use almost all of it for stuff required to maintain the boat. We don't have pressure water or a hot water heater.
Still, we've lived aboard, in marinas and on the hook, for 3.5 years now and are about to shove off for really deep water. Every day is an adventure.
Sue
s/v Fugue
Old 01-17-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Get an RV !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo1207 View Post
Hi, I am new to the yachting world and would like to live on a boat. I would like to know if it makes sense for me:

I am not sure if I will get claustrophobic as a result of cramp spaces and in particular, the low ceilings. I think I won't mind the gentle rocking motion and if I know it will get too rockin, I can find short term on shore solution.

I will be mostly living alone with a small dog, my girlfriend living nearby on land. I think a 30 - 40' should be enough for me and my buddy w/ g/f visiting on weekends mostly.

I know about marina fees, which I figured about the same as HOA dues for 2 bed condo in the city. And, streamlining possessions, to be space conscious and efficient. I lack sufficient sailing, nautical knowledge (at this point, but eager to learn more); and maintenance costs, which I am sure to find out; so I figure a power type boat is what I need at this point. Although, would love to just one day just wind power to someplace I feel like at the moment, but not yet: one day.

In my case, it's more of living on vessel in marina, with occasional monthly day outings for now. However, I can't imagine myself living without 3 "land-based" things at this point:

1) consistent cell phone coverage; at least when I am at the marina which is most of the time.

2) TV/Internet: I will need certain cable/sat TV channels, and high speed internet access. I know at least cable not available when not tethered to marina, so is satallite best? if available? or is there a plan C?

3) Some land based conveniences: I like to cook, mostly simple things for myself, 2 - 4 max. Is gas flame cooking applicances possible? some propane thing that works like a bbq machine. Also, heard some issues about hygiene etc; my girl likes to take hot showers: If she can do that, then half the battle is over. And do I need to empty out toilets? how does that work?

I know I would have less questions if I simply compromise to a houseboat; which there are plenty to procure from in my area. But I like the idea of a real boat, a functional machine which serves a dual purpose, along with the obvious water based advantages. I imagine taking my "home" to some south pacific destination one day.

Thanks
You would never make it so buy an RV !
Old 02-04-2010

CalEnron is on a distinguished road
I live aboard a 1970 Cal 29 in Mass. In the marina in the winter, and on the hook in the summer. I love it. I don't have pressure or hot water, but the marina has a very nice shower and the town has summer showers...Anyone know how to avoid some of this condensation? Maybe head south?
Old 02-04-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I live on a 44 foot cutter with a cruising interior built into an ocean racer hull with a reduced rig. At 62 I can still single hand the boat and enjoy the performance. But I really like the space below and the large cockpit. It has a truly enormous Travis Magee size shower stall which I love as I do not have to worry abot my elbows as I get vigorous drying my back.

If I could have found the right CSY 44 at the right price I would have bought one of those but I like the way the Bombay looked and that was that.