Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010

kekkul is on a distinguished road
I'm living on Tartan 3000, alone. But i have to make some changes, for exemple the table is complicated to pull-down, the battery store is inadequate.
Old 04-01-2010

TimofBlindSquirrel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt13 View Post
You would never make it so buy an RV !
You can make it, forget what Capt13 said. Your 3 land based needs can easily be met. Go to a boat show and look some boats to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. Like living on land, there is no perfect home(or boat) so compromises will have to be made.

I lived on a 1981 C&C 36 during the summers on Lake Superior. My GF and here little dog would spend a lot of time there and there was always plenty of room. The biggest issues you are going to have is interior moisture and what personal items you need on board and which ones you want on board. Go for it. If you don't like it sell the boat and go back to the land.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2010

Capttman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capttman
I live on a Bruce roberts 47 foot sloop a challenge to single hand sometimes but really appreciate the spacious interior when at anchor and you will find yourself at anchor more than on open ocean. The only thing I would change is my mattress..
Old 04-15-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We live aboard our Hans Christian 33t. For us, I don't think we could have picked a better boat. We love it. We live about half a year at anchor or on mooring and then the other half at a marina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2010
SeaLife Sailing

SeaLifeSailing is on a distinguished road
I own a Lancer 36 and lived aboard for 2+ years, very comfortably including winter conditions. Currently I use the boat as a teaching vessel, and living aboard doesn't make as much sense now as it did then, but I miss it, and can't wait to live aboard again. I miss being gently rocked to sleep, hearing storms howl through the rigging, and the economy of space that comes with living on a sailboat. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and overcame humidity challenges by plugging in a large household dehumidifier fed into the bilge, with a fan circulating air throughout the boat. Toasty warm even below freezing; nice and dry. The price was certainly right - about the same as paying rent in my city in a small apartment vs. making boat payments, moorage, and insurance plus basic maintenance, although boat maintenance can certainly add up if you want to keep your boat in tip-top sailing condition. On the other hand, I could untie my boat and dissappear into beautiful cruising grounds for a weekend or a week, which is difficult to do with an apartment... :-) The only downside to trying to live aboard in my area is actually finding liveaboard moorage that is readily accessible to sailing, as moorage in general is difficult to find - good liveaboard moorage is seriously rare. The biggest liveaboard challenge in these parts...
Lancer 36
s/v 'Ma Provence'
Old 05-01-2010

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why? All his "needs" are easy to find on a boat. So why would he never make it? Your post gives no reasons at all, just an obnoxious comment to get an RV which would likely meet none of his needs.
Old 05-01-2010
SeaLife Sailing

SeaLifeSailing is on a distinguished road
You can totally make it

Quote:
I'd disregard whatever captain mike had to say - kind of a knuckleheaded comment with no real content except a 'bah-humbug' - you can totally get all of the things you are asking about in a liveaboard situation.

Lots of boats have showers. I have a five gallon hot water tank, and make hot water both when I motor, and when I am plugged into shorepower. I have pressurized hot and cold water onboard, and a built-in shower insert, with an electric shower pump-out. Works fine - just wipe it down when you're done showering to avoid mildew problems, and your head (bathroom) is squeeky clean, every day.

Lots of boaters cook with propane - it's quick, powerful, easy-to-use, and a 20 lb tank lasts a very long time. Just open a hatch while you cook to vent the carbon monoxide and cooking odors out of your cabin. I try not to fry or cook greasy things down below, and save those for the outdoor BBQ, because I don't want the odors permeating the fabrics in by cabin.

As for internet / cable, tons of marinas have this. When you are out cruising, broadband xpress services almost every Marina on the west coast (not sure about the east coast) and that gives you three miles line-of-sight service from the marina office, or more depending on how high you mount your antenna - this is a subscription service, but they have short-term packages available. That, and tons of private ocean-front homes have unsecured wireless networks that you can jump onto to check your email, etc.

So in terms of dockside amenities, living on a boat is like being in a little condo; no grass to mow, electric power, hot showers, appliances, fridge, all the goodies. However, your 'house' is trying to biodegrade a little more quickly than a normal home if you are sitting in salt-water, but anything you live in requires service, and you can't untie your condo and go poke around the islands for 2 weeks. If you are planning on going to the South Pacific, you're likely looking at either a sailboat, or a very efficient diesel trawler. There are tons of either of these of every type and description. Talk to lots of people and ask lots of questions before throwing your money into that hole in the water! Good luck!!
Lancer 36
s/v 'Ma Provence'
Old 05-02-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I'm living aboard a 1981 C&C 32 in Charleston, SC. I'm living by myself and it has plenty of room for me. My girlfriend enjoys it too ... and loves to come visit whenever she can.

I am barebones as far as liveaboard ammenities. I have no AC. I have no refrigeration. I have a propane grill off the stern rail and an alcohol stove down below. I'm really living large with a radio and TV in the main cabin.

I really enjoy the views, the ease of getting underway, and the fact that when I set foot on dry land ... the world moves around.

The only change I would make is installing refrigeration ... only due to the fact that the ice box is a continuous source of water into the bilge ... and I'd prefer to keep it dry.
Old 05-05-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
We have a C-26 I figure it would cost me around $1000(???) a month for everything to live aboard at a reasonable price marina, but were still testing out the boat and I think the 1st mate has 4 ft itis, we are very new to this and even thou we like the looks of the beamier boats, I want sail and to stay as low key as possible but still meet her needs.

I'd be sailing if real life would stop getting in the way
Old 05-10-2010

safira is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Another liveaboard

I live on a 40' pilothouse ketch, the best thing I ever did was the purchase of this vessel, 2nd best was retire, yaaaaaaaaaa!!!! been doing this for 10 years now and do not see a end to it yet. Yeah all the family thinks that I am nuts but i still love the life....