Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2003

sailorjim is on a distinguished road
Who''''s living on what??

I have a Morgan 323 and love it. It is great for 2, big enough for 4 for a short period (week or so) and simple to handle. I have added to the ''systems'' to make life aboard comfortable (TV that I rarely use, AM/FM/CD that I rarely use.) All liight are florescent or halogen. Alder barbour, extra 37.5 gallons of water, dodger and the usual stuff. Up and down the East Coast and out to the Islands (Virgin) next year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2003

kmeeks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kmeeks Send a message via Skype™ to kmeeks

I''ve lived aboard my 32 ft. 1971 Islander, Renaissance, for almost one year now.

The first night on board was the most magical night of my adult life. Laying in the v-berth - listening to the waves crashing on the breakwater nearby...the gentle motion of the boat in the slip.

Before moving aboard I was a little bit concerned about the hassle of walking to the club house to take a shower every day - but it hasn''t registered as a problem in the actual experience of it. [unless you get too wound up about the periodic mysterious disappearance of the odd towel or bottle of shampoo]

I enjoy my "home" - I moved all my worldy posssessions into a storage facility - and with the exception of finding enough room onboard for a small subset of the 500+ books I have in storage...32 ft. is a comfortable size for me now. Of course, I always wish there was "more" room.

In the last few months I''ve made two modifications which have greatly improved the "livability" of my boat: a solar powered exhaust fan for the head, and a hanging rod in the head to serve as a make-shift closet. This has allowed me to move most of my clothes out of the main salon where they were hanging.

I have a large trunk that I purchased at Target for about $20 that is on the floor in the salon - it serves as additional clothing storage.

I installed a shelf for a small TV/VCR combo on the port bulkhead in the main salon - and that eliminated the hassle of moving the tv from the small settee when guests need a place to sit.

The list of future improvement projects is long - and I am really enjoying the learning curve as I tackle each new challenge.
Old 07-07-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road

kmeeks
Looks like we each have our own ways. I lived on my Lancer 29 for a bit more than a year. She is still set up for liveaboard which makes her more fun to sail. I too added a rod to the head (I hate to iron and alas I still must work)I removed my starboard side setee and installed a cabnet with a shelf my frig and my microwave. I can put Tons of choths in it I still have space if I could talk my wife into moving out of the house and moving back onto the boat. I have expanded my "v"berth ok I lost the hanging locker and a couple of cabnets. But then again I gained more storage under the expanded berth.. All in all she is alot more boat more than she was when I bought her.
Old 07-09-2003

Toluso is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend and I will attempt to live and cruise on a 46'' Tartan for several years. It has lots of systems: two AC units, Heat, Refridgeration, Deep Freeze, 5lb a day Ice maker, 250 gal per day water maker, electric winch, and great sailing electronics. Problem is, the boat is 10 years old and what is supposed to be a relaxing sabbatical will more likely turn into a race to keep one step ahead of system failures.

I just got back from living on it for three weeks and a 500 mile shakedown and it looks like I will be spending another year preparing while I attend vocational school learning about diesel engines and refrigeration. Smaller is better unless you''re going to be tied to a dock.
Old 07-13-2003

conradconrad is on a distinguished road

How did you like the allied seawind & why did you change?????????????????????????????
Old 07-26-2003

EtherCat is on a distinguished road

Well, after a long hiatus, Im back at last...
The past year has been incredibly busy, outfitting and shaking down Etheria, the 32'' Westerly ketch that has been home for the past 14 months.
If I could change anything about her, Id make the aft cabin just a little bigger... its more like an afterthought cabin. Aside from that, I think she''s the best boat I could possibly want. At the moment, Im living in a marina, but am planning to cruise this winter.
Old 08-01-2003

semperfisailor is on a distinguished road

Hi...

My wife and I live on a 38'' Shannon in the Puget Sound area of Washington State. We are in to our second year; made it through our first winter without too much problems. We have one and half years before we begin cruising. If you have particular questions, please feel free to e-mail us.

Tom/Renee
The Following User Says Thank You to semperfisailor For This Useful Post:
shanedennis (06-05-2013)
Old 08-07-2003

TrishLambert is on a distinguished road

I can''t resist adding my name to the roll!

Skip and I live and cruise aboard a beautiful Baba 30, a Robert Perry design that is a snug but comfortable home. I previously cruised first on a Contessa 35 (more of a racer, didn''t have enough stowage for serious cruising) then a Hans Christian 36 (another Bob Perry design). The Baba performs better than the HC as a sailor, but of course the HC had more living space.

I am writing a booklet about choosing a cruising boat, and I just finished drafting "Trish''s dream list for a boat". I will share the SHORT version of the list here (without the explaing notes...you will definitely notice that some of the things are mutually exclusive! Plus, after 20 years of cruising, I notice that many things lean more toward cruising than simply living aboard):

-- A double ended cutter. No good reason for this. It’s just what I like!
-- Wheel steering.
-- Some teak trim. I like the look but hate the maintenance!
-- A nonskid deck.
-- A boomkin.
-- A cutaway full keel with prop in an aperture.
-- A fixed keel of no more than 6-foot draft with the boat loaded.
-- Furling headsail and hank-on staysail. Again, this increases the choices for sail and rig.
-- Halyards led aft.
-- Mast pulpits.
-- A boom gallows.
-- A cockpit with a fairly small well and seats long enough to sleep on.
-- A hard dodger.
-- Aluminum toe rail.
-- A compact galley.
-- Lots of counter space in the galley. (OK, so having a compact galley pretty much kills this one. But it’s a DREAM boat!)
-- A shower stall separate from the toilet area.
-- A reefer that can be accessed by side door as well as from the top.
-- Lots of handholds throughout the cabin.
-- A Yanmar engine.
-- Easy access to the engine.
-- Easy access to tankage and batteries.
-- An anchoring system that is easy to deploy and haul up.
-- An aft master cabin with a “pullman” type queen-size berth.
-- Finally, a boat that I am confident that I can handle by myself in any sea condition.

Like I said, this is a draft list, and there''s more--I''ve left off my "dream equipment list" because that''s the subject of the NEXT booklet!!!

Trish Lambert
S/V Nehalennia
www.takehersailing.com
trish@takehersailing.com
Old 08-19-2003

swhall is on a distinguished road

My wife, Shelly, and I live on a 39'' Allied Mistress. We are still working and paying the boat off but we love it. We have been living onboard for only a month now and we are learning as we go. Before this boat we owned a 25'' Hunter.

Steve & Shelly
Old 08-25-2003

goforit is on a distinguished road

thanks for asking my question. I too am interested in what people are ''actually'' living aboard rather than wishing they were and not doing it. I am just getting started in putting together a list of possible boats too go cruising/living aboard on and finding it discouraging with the bigger is better. I need a boat that is first seaworthy but cost effective as I want to go sooner not later. So any more suggestions of actual boats that are cruising from Florida into the Caribbean would be helpful.