Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003

kd4yor is on a distinguished road
Who''''s living on what??

I lived on a Hunter 30 for a year before my wife meet me. After a few months the 30 got small. Now we are restoring a Cheoy Lee 38 with hopes of cruising after the kid''s are gone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2003

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

Ok we are not living aboard right now but we have and are going to again. The first boat was seventy feet and needed a crew of three to take care of it.We were young and dumb and lived like their was no tomorrow and had lots of room to do what ever we wanted. The maintanance was murder. The years passed and so did the money days. Next I lived on a 30 foot boat for three years.Loved the V birth as I could stick my head out at night and quickly get a (heads up) view of my situation very handy when on the hook. The problems were working everyday my spouce was an office type and needed everything hung up. I was a boat rigger and never had enough room for tools on a thirty foot boat. This was because the salon on one side was a hanging area for clothes. Wet toilet paper is another problem as well as water if on the hook (water tank to small) head was the shower and you forget to stash the TP. In the morning I skipped the wake up shower so she could do her thing and I spent that time loading water jugs into the dink for the trip back in the evening. I made up for the shower when I could manage a night usually a saturday in a hotel for some cable and long soak.Also living day to day on the small ice box and an igloo is tough you start to get creative on what you store and how. The grill gets used more and more as you don''t want to cook below and stink up your house and clothes. So maybe a 50'' boat is great for people who need a bit more space like a work area and living room bathroom and galley. Oh and a place to hang all the friggin clothes.
justflie likes this.
Old 11-23-2003

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road

Since I work every day I just keep my clothes mostly in my car. I keep a few on the boat so I have something to wear when I forget to bring clothes down from the car. In the winter towels do not dry in the car so I have enough to make it to laundry day.

My boat is a Gulf 29 and I have spent almost a year on it while I was selling my house and after. When I bought the boat I did not envision spending more than a week or two on it, but it has turned out to be fairly comfortable as long as I am in the marina. I probably could live away from the dock with a few adjustments, but I would prefer to get a bigger boat. One thing I do like about it is, since it is a pilothouse I can look out of the boat in any direction as long as the curtains are open. The penalty for the pilothouse in a small boat is 5''4" headroom in the head and forward cabin. Its 6''4" in the salon, although I do have a hatch in the head so I can stand inside and have my eyes above deck. Also I could hang a sun shower there but never have yet.

Ken
Old 12-12-2003

sv_diligence is on a distinguished road

Live on a Nantucket Island 38 flush deck sloop. We are about 20 south of Nagasaki, Japan. Love every minute of it!
Old 12-22-2003

ssipprell is on a distinguished road

We just bought a Morgan 323. Any suggestions on what you would change? I need to replace the water heater, any input? Size or make/model? She has refridgeration, no Air. We are in a marina now, working on downsizing. Our plan is to do some coastal cruising (Beaufort,NC area) then try some Island hopping.
Old 12-23-2003

tybeefolk is on a distinguished road

can''t get the anchor up. my wife and i have been actively looking to join the lifestyles of the live-a-board, cruisers for quite some time now. i believe i have read almost every entry on this bb and all of the others i''ve been able to find, still trying to discover the fastest and easiest way to make the transition from 4000 sq.feet and 3 stories to a 38''-43'' live aboard. I have no problem giving up all of the STUFF that one accumulates thru the years but more importantly; what do i keep to transfer too the boat? dishes,silver,towels,(art and crystal) or do these types of items get tossed too violently to be practical. most all of our experiences have been on larger sport fishermen type boats and we can''t wait to start sailing and living aboard. oh, most all of our cruising for a while will be coastal and we are certainly looking for any imput as to which boat you believe to be the best suited to this type of cruising? thanks
Old 12-30-2003

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

With all that storage space being devoted to cloths (must be wiping down the whole boat every day), you must not have much room left for your clothes.
captain jack likes this.
Old 03-31-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

Well we got real and are now living on a Catalina 38 ease of maintanance and the abuility to sail her away with out a crew made our best bet. We are taking the last of the stuff to the storage today and tomorrow they turn off all the utilities. (: Two happy people. Maybe we will be cruising in two months Mexico and south Florida for the summer.
Old 05-29-2004

ghostsailors is on a distinguished road

We liveaboard a 51'' Formosa in Seattle, WA. We have been living aboard for about 5 years, but moved off for a year to do some work on her. Getting ready to move back on in a month. Can''t wait to be back aboard. We have two kids ages 3 and 1 1/2. We love cruising the San Juan Islands and can''t wait to take off cruising down south in 8-10 years. I grew up not knowing anything about sailing. Then I met my husband and he was living aboard a 27'' Sun. I fell in love with him and sailing and here we are. When we started looking for a house 5 years ago, I was the one who thought a boat might work better. I found "Ghost" online and haven''t found a boat I like better. I do wish she was a little smaller, so I could handle her better, but I will just have to get some more experience. If there is anyone else out there who lives aboard with kids and you want to talk, please email me.

Ang
Old 06-19-2004

chibry is on a distinguished road

IS it possible to live aboard in Marina ? If not whats the closest?
hwheff@hotmail.com thanks