Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004

Thermal is on a distinguished road
Who''''s living on what??

Live aboard an S211.0 center cockpit in Honolulu. Great boat for living aboard,
but this state (government) is pretty boater-unfriendly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road

boat #4 is a wayfarer islander 29 old fiberglass full keel sloop.in lake okeeckobee florida,can get to either florida coast from here,prepairng for another long distance open ocean voyage.my first liveaboard was a 26 footer,then a 28 footer,and I lived on a motor boat all thru my college years.actually most of the time I was a "sneakaboard" because everywhere I went they wanted to see my boat,they wanted to see my money,but they didn''t want to see me.thats not the situation now.I am in (and have been for the last 5 years) a very liveaboard friendly marina.
Old 09-13-2004

sailalibi is on a distinguished road

To "cpa"- you mentioned you once lived aboard an allied seawind. Was it by chance a seawind II. I am planning on moving aboard mine in a few and was wondering about your pro''s and con''s. I agree with the posts about not ever enough storage, but the asw II has potential...
Old 09-13-2004

goforit
check out "seaquill" , an allied seawind II that has recently been damaged by hurricane Frances in Stuart FLA. A marvelous boat and an anxious seller...
Old 09-13-2004

ssipprell
consider an instant on type water heater (propane) or a simple heat exchanger off the engine. Why store 6 to 10 gallons of hot water ALL the time? Space is money!!
Old 09-14-2004

ct is on a distinguished road

We finally sold our home and are ready to begin a new life as liveaboards.

Musashi I is a 53'' Custom Aluminum Pilothouse Cutter built in Quebec Canada by C. Tremblay. Musashi displaces 50,000 lbs., is 45'' at the waterline, 6.5'' draft, 250 gals. fuel, 250 gals. water, 230 gals. holding.

She is air conditioned, has a diesel heater, complete galley w/ microwave, reefer, freezer, three burner stove- oven and broiler, and sleeps 9.

I wish we could post pix but I''ll put a website up in the near future.

Charlie and Marlene, s/v Musashi I
Old 10-31-2004

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road

As far as what I would prefer to be living aboard on ..... okay, money doesn''t count in dreams ..... a Hans Christian 43 for voyaging, a Hinkley 41 for racer/crusier stuff.

Now to the real world. I have a 32.5 on deck fiberglass schooner that I''ve been building for far too many years, having spent one winter aboard in Boston harbor without cabin sides and a single 5K electric heater. 12.5 feet of beam, 4''10" draft, 20,000 lbs with 8500 lbs internal lead ballast. She is slow to turn, stiff and stable, a slow roller, unfinished and completely paid for.

It is a life-sucking, endless, grueling chore of indescribable dimensions to attempt to build a boat you are living aboard and I cannot recommend it to anyone. I have had RATS move aboard, resulting in blood-curdling yelling, swearing and stabbing until they just shut up and left.

But, it''s nearing completion and it is the prettiest character boat in the marina. Everyone loves it. Including the ladies. Too bad I''m too old and wore out working on it to take advantage. It is safe at sea, comfortable, not particularly easy to handle, but predictable. She can be grounded for easy bottomwork at low tide, slides easily over all the lobster and crab pots you see, and is built like the proverbial tank. I''ve painted her with a single part polyurethane topcoat and can touch up the paint with a foam brush in a minute. Why? Because life is too short to get worked up because a novice rubs or bumps you trying to dock.

I have VERY little bare teak and oil it with my own blend of parafin, tung oil and lemon oil at least once a week. It takes ten minutes, looks and smells great and eliminates brightwork maintanence. I have only one berth, in the main saloon, and the headroom is 5''11". I am 5''8" and I sized it for me (and Danny DeVito).

One very important issue about my boat is that it is right for me will outlast me.

I sometimes dress like Joshua Slocum and splice three-strand with a bubble-pipe in my mouth (I don''t smoke) to give tourists the feeling they''ve seen a ''real'' sailor. Well, if you can''t be a character, why have a character boat?
Old 11-20-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

This is an update to my first post and my last post. We have been aboard Krugerrand now for nine months. The first thing we did was go cruising for the summer we left in June s soon as my wife had summer off from her teaching position.My wife grew up in Colorado and New Mexico and had never seen the ocean or any of the things we sailors have experienced. She is teaching me to spell and I am teaching her to sail good trade but I am the slow study.She is crazy about this in her own way sometimes she looks lost and others so full of life she could burst. I offer to give it up if she wants the land back under her feet but she says no this is where she wants to be.So 38 feet of boat seems to be fair I am doing some interior work the gally is three feet longer with a dog leg off the end of counter and the sink moved out to that spot. The hanging locker is being renovated also for her clothes. The older Catalina 38s are not that much bigger than the 30'' Catalinas so we are packed in tight and do have to make it to the storage for a few things but it is still cheeper and more interesting for both of us. I have all the comforts of home while on the dock,Satalite TV DVD stereo this computer extra refrigeration with the addition of a new whirlpool 110V unit that makes it easy to keep more food for fat (American)pepole I was down by thirty now only twenty.I need to cruise it is healyhier because I cant get to the store for ribs and beef every other day. So a little off track but we are definatly living and well on this Catalina 38 S\V KRUGERRAND loving it.
Old 05-10-2005

martemp is on a distinguished road

We are planning a move to the Charleston SC within the next 9 months. Since we are new to the area we are not sure of what marinas offer the best for liveaboards. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. We have also thought of the Savannah GA area but we were told that GA will not allow liveaboards.

Also, are there any issues in the Charleston area during hurricane season?

Thank you for you help,
Mary
Old 05-10-2005
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough

Mary...here''s a good link to explore some of the SC marina''s. Don''t know which permit liveaboards.
http://www.cruisingguide.com/scgamarinas.html

As to hurricanes...google hugo in 1989 which totally trashed Charleston.

Best...BigGB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.