Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Who''''s living on what??

Also Google Huricane David which clobbered Charleston in 1979 rearranging the ICW and quite a few marinas.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2005

MarcellaRio is on a distinguished road

We are currently living on our 1981 Endeavour 37 A-plan. We have for over 2 yrs and love it! Large open galley, large salon, it''s great. Only thing is we won''t be for long. We are selling her and moving ashore for a few months, then onto a much larger boat/business. But we have enjoyed our life on her and wouldn''t have had it any other way, even if time could rewind itself. Although, speaking from a ''pack-rat'' mindset, you fill what you have. One thing I have found is that this boat has a LOT of storage space....good thing AND bad thing. Soon we will be packing and OMG no tellin'' what got stuffed where.
Fair winds,
Christal
Old 06-24-2005

rakuqueen is on a distinguished road

We live on a tayana 42 cc. We have been on board about 2 years, have enjoyed it very much. We were in Texas for about 8 months, then cruised for about 8months. We have settled in Myrtle Beach area for 2 years while our daughter finishes high school. Then we are off again.
This has been a great boat for the three us. Lots of room and very comfty.
It might be alttle big for just the two of us after our daughter goes to college. Last year we were in Brunswick for hurricane season. A great place. There are some stay aboards there.
Hope this area will be a good!!
Old 06-25-2005

Johnno is on a distinguished road

Hi,

This thread is a bit old now but for anyone thinking of liveaboard life there is a lot of very good information in the posts.

My advice for what it is worth after many years of living aboard is to keep things simple. It means being mercenary about what you have and making sure that it is what you need rather than just want.

That philosphy applies equally to the boat as well as the lifestyle. It is not for everyone and in particular the fairer sex - sorry girls!!!

My further advice is to buy your first boat with the knowledge that it will not be your last or more importantly your ideal boat - so buy with an eye to resale - because as sure as god made little apples your wants and expectations will change after you have experienced the life for a while.

In that sense no two cruisers are the same. Thankfully! But at least if you heed the advice of experienced sailors you will not make too many mistakes. Inherent in that is that you will make some mistakes - and we all do - just try to minimise the impact of them.

I am always amused when I hear people say - yes I would thoroughly enjoy crusing too - all I''d need is a nice shower, my tv, my stereo and microwave and I''d be happy.

Well here''s the rub - it just doesn''t work that way. Like I said at the outset it is important to keep it simple and that means reorientating your life. And that''s the bit that some people can''t handle.

You have to try it to find out whether it is for you. So if you are thinking about embarking on a live aboard life don''t cut your options until you know it is for YOU!

cheers
captain jack likes this.
Old 07-08-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road

Ah, yes, if only it were that simple. Here I sit aboard my dream boat, in Cortez, on the Intercoastal Waterway just south of Tampa Bay. Just a few short days ago, while watching a perfect sunset and reveling in the perfect temperatures and idyllic waterfront lifestyle, I couldn''t imagine a better way to live.

Then a tropical depression raced past and pasted the crap out of the panhandle and Mobile Bay area. Then a hurricane jumped up and started heading right up the same path as Charley from last year. Then they said it was going on the same track as Ivan, or Jeanne. I forget. We had so many hurricanes last year they don''t even have to go back any further to find a example of death hell and destruction.

I''m siting here right now preparing for a possible wild ride from the hurricane, while the news talks about how many we could have this year, and how we might be in this pattern for up to twenty years.

Suddenly, a nice concrete camp in the mountains of New Hampshire seems like a better place to be. Anybody wanna buy a nice boat? Act fast or it could be a fixer-upper.

Hawkeye
Old 11-02-2005

yacht_copasetic is on a distinguished road

Hey there, my 0.02 is to check out whether the galley is "liveable" or not. I lived aboard a boat with an inadequate galley for a while and found this to be the biggest annoyance for me. There was not enough counter surface to prepare food, not enough standing headroom (6''2 in my case), and not enough storage. Refrigeration was a cold box that needed ice. I ended up eating ashore a lot, which frustrated me since I was on a tight budget. So when I was searching for my current boat (Roberts Mauritius 45), the galley was something I payed a lot of attention to. Plenty of counter space (which I am about to extend further), decent storage space, and full standing headroom.

Since I haven''t won that elusive lottery yet, I also need to go to work every day, so I need some hanging space for work clothing. Not quite enough on my boat, but for the price range I was in its adequate...another thing to look out for if you''re "in the same boat" (sorry, bad pun, I know).

I would have preferred a smaller boat. Ironically suitable smaller boats were out of my price range since the suitable ones were generally newer (newer design enabling better liveability in less space). Smaller boats are generally cheaper to operate and easier to handle, lighter to dock and therefore generally leave the moorings more often.

At the end of the day, she is MY boat and that is better than any perfect dream boat that I DON''T have.
Old 06-19-2006

poog is on a distinguished road
We sold our condo, and have to be out of it in two and a half weeks. We bought a 52' Irwin ketch with the equity on the condo before we had it sold! Brought the boat 150 miles down to San Diego from Ventura and two days before we left we found a slip. That's right, we didn't have a slip at the time we were buying the boat.

We looked at boats for over a year, sold everything, had a hell of a time with brokers, and people telling us we were crazy. I cannot tell you the countless hours I put in trying to make a dream happen that I have been after since I was a teen. I am now 36. I had to buy a condo while the bubble was still blowing up to get some equity to get the boat I have always wanted. I did it on an interest only loan and I pulled it off. Just like I have always known in my heart and soul what I was going to do for a living, I have always known I would be a live-aboard.

I get people asking me what I do for a living when they see the boat. They think I am some dot com fortunate. It really gets people thinking when they find out that I am an ocean lifeguard and my lady is a waitress.

Am I foolhardy for pursuing my dream the way I have? Hell no! I have been a professional waterman most of my adult life and the one thing I have always found out is that if you pursue what you want, you will find a way.

52' Irwin Ketch (1977), 55' L.O.A.
15' 1/2 beam
7' draft

Is the boat too big? Absolutely. Comfortable as hell though.
Expensive? Heck yeah! Good thing I do my own maintenance.
Too much boat to handle? Keep a good weather eye out, shorten sail early when short handed. Usually it's just been me and my gal and we do O.K. yeah it can get a bit sketchy sometimes around the dock, but I go real slow and it has been fine.

What else to say? We love this life we have been pursuing, we have met the greatest people, and we have not cared the least in the nay sayers that thought we were crazy for trying to pull this off. We haven't completely pulled it off yet as we are still trying to get live aboard status. But we will work it out just like everything else. It has been a wild ride so far.

At the end of the day life seems so much more cool when you get off the couch and find something different to do.

Yours in lifesaving,
Poog
captain jack likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to poog For This Useful Post:
captain jack (05-28-2014)
Old 06-19-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Poog: You are the man. I just bought a Seawolf 41 which I intend to renovate. I plan on cruising for a year or two when she is done. I have lived aboard in the past and really enjoyed it. I am with you in that I enjoy the room that a larger boat provides.
Old 06-23-2006

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by poog
At the end of the day life seems so much more cool when you get off the couch and find something different to do.
I'm a few days from closing on a 42' steel pilothouse cutter, and although I am 44, I have a similar story. I have mortgaged the recently paid-off house for about 40% of its value (thus "capturing" the bubble run-up since we bought it in '98) in order to buy the boat, reno the house as a duplex, and put my wife through teachers' college (so we can better "boat-school" our son, and so that she can substitute teach abroad or tutor other cruiser kids.) We plan on leaving in mid-2009 when our son turns eight, but we'll be fully aboard in '08.

I figure at least one winter aboard in Toronto will test the boat's systems, our tempers and our ruthlessness regarding "stuff" and will allow us to fully capture for the cruising kitty two rents from the house.

Our plan is to circumnavigate in five years...downwind, mostly...and to be back by 2014 when my kid turns 13 and will be tired of us...

A few dead relatives and guys my age having heart attacks and assorted bitterness has only steeled my resolve to follow this dream now instead of later. In fact, I am buying the boat from a guy who *isn't* going due to family and age issues.

Carpe bloody diem, and fair winds.
captain jack likes this.
Old 06-27-2006
AHOY!

rireefguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
A few dead relatives and guys my age having heart attacks and assorted bitterness has only steeled my resolve to follow this dream now instead of later. In fact, I am buying the boat from a guy who *isn't* going due to family and age issues.

I think you nailed it right on the head... I think I need to accelerate my plans! There is never enough time!

Fair winds!