Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
I lived aboard a Catalina 30 for several years, then 4 years ago moved into an '81 Hardin 45 ketch. As I usually spend 100 or so days away from harbors, I wanted room for my office, computers, printers, fax, etc., easy to handle single handed, and heavy, that wouldn't rock with every wavelet that comes along. Shallow draft was another thing, and at 5.5 ft this model fitted my specs. I love the aft cabin, japanese tub and shower, large (14 cf) freezer and refrig. For me, it's plenty of room for myself and an occasional guest or crew. It's slow under light winds, but so am I.

The advisement on cost is absolutely correct, cost of marinas, maintenance, gear, etc., all goes up proportionately with length. Living aboard isn't as inexpensive as it once was. With the mortgage on the boat and slip fee and maintenance costs that I can't do myself, I could be paying off a 5 acre 4 bedroom house in North Carolina. BUT, as a home that can take me anywhere, it's priceless.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2006

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 is what I am planning to buy and live aboard on - still saving money.
Old 11-28-2006
Living the Dream

dnseal is on a distinguished road
I think I got everyone beat in the size catagory.... smile. I'm on a 72loa Alden Ketch and paying way too much for dockage..... frown. The boat had the best price imaganable, but the restoration and upkeep is killing me, but since I'm 6ft, her size and comfort can't be beat. It will be a while before I consider her blue water worthy, but with all the upgrades, she'll deffinately be a site to behold. I'm not rich, I'm just very skilled with some negotiating and better with my hands so I'm doing most of the repairs myself. Took three years off to fix her and do a bit of traveling. Can you say CREW. Would never do this size again though, but I don't have too many regrets yet.

Best wishes and do be a stranger should you see my Stella Maris.
gil
Old 12-04-2006
sv Blue Dolphin

roborider is on a distinguished road
my GF and I recently bought a 58 ft. Roberts Custom Ketch built in '81. It has a 15'6" beam, draws 7.5 ',has three staterooms, a separate galley, huge salon and a work shop with a washer/dryer and freezer, a center cockpit which is closed(pilothouse). It is larger then we were originally looking for but can't imagine living on anything smaller. Maint. seems managable as we both still work full time and I do spend some time working at the boat. We are planning on taking off in 2 years and it looks like it will take that long to get the boat ready....mostly making it completely watertight and modenizing some of the running gear. We have an area for each of us as we believe it
s necessary for "sanity" and as I am also an avid long distance cyclist I have a place for my bikes and cycling gear. We live in the SF bay area so the weather is good although the cool nights can be a challenge. An electric banket is a great addition but don't forget the warm slippers.

Our cruising goal is to wind up achored off of the Amalfi Coast and cruise the Med. Fair winds and following seas.
Robert and Kathy

Last edited by roborider; 12-04-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2006

CocoaMoe is on a distinguished road
Hi,I just found this site so I'm new.I live on a 27' Hunter sloop in a marina near Key West.I moved onto it on the easy payment deal to get away from roommates.It ended up cheaper and a lot les stressful.Key West isn't cheap. I couldn't move it til it was paid for. That was last Oct just before Wilma washed the keys with a lot of water. The marina i'm in is pretty safe [named Safe Harbor] I rode every tropical storm and hurricane for last 5 yrs with no major damage.My boat canvas shop is right down the dock so the only excuse for not going to work is gone fishing.I plan on refurbing and sailing around the keys next year.I'm looking for local sailors to hook up with 'specialy any females in 50's healthy, non-tobacco or hard drugs wanting to help with refub and sail, Email COCOAMOES@aol.com
Old 12-25-2006

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
My wife and I moved aboard a 30' sloop in 1972, fresh out of college when all we owned could still fit in our van. By 1976, with our first child, we were on a 33' morgan which suited us well untill our two children were grew to 8 & 6 years old. For the last 21 years we've been on a morgan OI 41. We cruise fulltime and own nothing ashore. As we are now entering our sixties, we have learned much about living aboard, but know little about moving aboard; as we have never been house owners. We frequent about thirty ports on the east coast where we enjoy a sense of community. Our incomes have always been moderate; debt free, yet with all the joys of living on the water. Our children have adapted well to life in houses;-who wants to do their parents thing! I imagine, if our health holds out, we'll move into a marina for geriatrics by 2021 when we will complete fifty years of living aboard! 'take care and joy,-see you on the water! onboard Aythya aythya1@yahoo.com

Last edited by CaptainForce; 12-25-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2007

Loewe is on a distinguished road
We've been living aboard with two kids 7&10 for a little over 3 years now. Any of you First Coast cruisers ever get into the southern bay (which would be everyone heading down the ditch or exiting the bay for the Atlantic) give a shout.
Regards, Red

S/V Carrie C
Allied Mistress #24

Last edited by Loewe; 01-16-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I started living aboard in 1973 on a 22 foot sailboat. Moving up in size over the years and I now find myself living on a Tartan 34C.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 01-07-2007

IslandRaider is on a distinguished road
Got to love it
Old 01-15-2007

Dao is on a distinguished road
Moving onto my Newport 30 II in just two weeks. I've been in the grocery business for over 30 years and with my children older, living nearby and myself single decided it was time to live the dream.

Decided it was time to go back to school (Humboldt State University) full time and finish my degree.

Our liveaboard fees are reasonable so I look forward to outfitting my boat with more navigation equipment for extended cruises during the summer.

Alan
La Belle France