SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who''s living on what??

128K views 255 replies 148 participants last post by  MikeOReilly 
#1 ·
Who''''s living on what??

Just to inquire about what you all like, I am just looking to get a collection of what boat you live on, How do you like your boat, and is there anything that you would change if you started over? Also what do YOU think would be the best suited live aboard boat for your situation? Also do you live in a marina or cruising?

#2 ·

Currently living aboard a 44 foot cutter in DC area. Wife and two teenage kids. Everybody loves it. Plan to cruise in a few years. Previously lived aboard and cruised a 30 foot sloop with kids, then 6 and 9. Cruised full time for 3 years and 10,000 miles. We all thought the boat was fine for us. It had a v-berth and 2 quarter berths, so everyone had their own space - very important. New boat has a seperate cabin for 17 yo daughter and private quarter berth for 14 yo son. Works well.

A couple of points. Stuff expands to fill available space - there is never enough room, so bigger is not always better. Everybody needs their own space - if it''s a couple, there needs to be space to get away, even if it''s the cockpit. If you''re going to cruise, get a boat big enough to carry enough water and food, especially with kids. But don''t think that you need a big boat. Cruising and caring for a 30 foot boat is much easier than a 45 foot boat.

Our 30 foot boat was great for cruising, but not designed for dock living long term, especially with 4 people. Our 44 footer is a great liveaboard and will be a great cruiser as well. Layout and systems are important. The less systems aboard (pressure water, refrigeration, generator) the easier cruising life will be.

The projected use of your boat will determine the suitability for cruising or living at the dock. If you just want to liveaboard and occaisionally cruise, get a bigger comfortable liveaboard. If full time cruising is what you want, get a smaller cruiser and adapt yourself to it.
My .02

#3 ·

I''ve lived on my 28ft cutter for 24 years. I really wouldn''t change a thing about the boat other than the refrigeration experiment I''m about to embark on, and get my radar mounted. I evidently like the boat for living aboard, having done it or this long. I generally live in marinas, until I get itchy to go take off again. I''ve noted itchiness lately, as a matter of fact.

#4 ·

I currently am moving on to a new 2 cabin Beneteau 473. I have been a liveaboard for many years on my 1981 Endeavour 37 MK-II.

I live alone and always felt that you needed at least 35'' of sailboat to liveaboard. My new boat is 47'' with a 14.2'' beam. It''s the largest boat that I can sail singlehanded. However, when buying a boat to liveaboard remember you live on it all the time and only sail it part of the time so the liveability of the boat is more important than how easily or how fast it sails.

#5 ·

Simple almost always is superior. Keep the boat small and you''ll find you adapt to your living space. I''ve had a 45 footer, 37 footer, 41 footer. Our current boat (30 feet on deck) is a little tight. But it is very affordable and manageable. My wife can handle it without a struggle. All the hardware is smaller and, thus, more affordable. You never ever can have enough room (look at the people who live in 40,000 square foot houses!) So getting rid of the STUFF is vital to a simple and quality life.

#225 ·
Re: Who''''s living on what??

Mike,

Your question is a good one, but a realitive one. You, however, have come to the right forum. There is a lot of good info. Pick and chose wisely.

Relaitive to the area you live in...Relative to the luxuries you still want to keep, price of dock space, electicity, style of boat you want to live aboard, eating habits (fancy restaurants or mac and cheese)...etc etc etc....

Make the car the last thing to go if you get rid of it. Taking the bus sucks and friends tire of getting phone calls from you looking for a lift or needing to transport stuff. Bikes will only take you just so far carrying stuff.

Sit down one evening and take a really hard think about what you want, need, and/or can live without to do it. This is just for starters...then spread it ALL out on the dock and take a look again...then have a yard sale to make new friends at the dock.

Andrew

Hello, I''m happy to found this forum. I''m also considering a live aboard boat. First plan is to streamline living cost. Do most people keep any cars stored, at a dock or just sell it all?

Any idea of average cost per month to survive? (Food, fuel, etc?)

Thanks,

Mike

#7 ·

I have lately aquired a few land ancors but I was living aboard my Lancer 29. I made a few mods like adding refrigeration. Now I am getting her ready for even more time aboard. (I have 9 years till I retire) Then She will be ready with an expanded "v" berth (I am 6''3")to 7''6" and relocating storage for cloths and linnen. I am giving up my starboard sette and my large dinning table but I sail solo or with one quest so I''ll have pleanty of space in the solon still. I''ll see if I can''t post a few pic when I am done

#8 ·

Mike I quick ps to you

I am still working full time so I had to keep my truck but total cost for living at the marina were less than $500 a month. My slips fees were $180 of that the rest was food, fuel, personal needs, insurance and incidentals. You can''t have any debt but living aboard take far less than a land ancored life...

#10 ·

Maggie & I spent 9 years on a C&C29 - summers worked in Ft. Lauderdale (docked), winters cruised Bahamas (anchored).
I think "Southbound" was nearly ideal, as long as you have a 72'' barge (for "stuff" storage) moored at every destination. There is no such thing as enough storage space - so simplify your life - whatever boat you end up on.
Regards,
Gord

#11 ·

I have a Morgan 323 and love it. It is great for 2, big enough for 4 for a short period (week or so) and simple to handle. I have added to the ''systems'' to make life aboard comfortable (TV that I rarely use, AM/FM/CD that I rarely use.) All liight are florescent or halogen. Alder barbour, extra 37.5 gallons of water, dodger and the usual stuff. Up and down the East Coast and out to the Islands (Virgin) next year.

#12 ·

I''ve lived aboard my 32 ft. 1971 Islander, Renaissance, for almost one year now.

The first night on board was the most magical night of my adult life. Laying in the v-berth - listening to the waves crashing on the breakwater nearby...the gentle motion of the boat in the slip.

Before moving aboard I was a little bit concerned about the hassle of walking to the club house to take a shower every day - but it hasn''t registered as a problem in the actual experience of it. [unless you get too wound up about the periodic mysterious disappearance of the odd towel or bottle of shampoo]

I enjoy my "home" - I moved all my worldy posssessions into a storage facility - and with the exception of finding enough room onboard for a small subset of the 500+ books I have in storage...32 ft. is a comfortable size for me now. Of course, I always wish there was "more" room.

In the last few months I''ve made two modifications which have greatly improved the "livability" of my boat: a solar powered exhaust fan for the head, and a hanging rod in the head to serve as a make-shift closet. This has allowed me to move most of my clothes out of the main salon where they were hanging.

I have a large trunk that I purchased at Target for about $20 that is on the floor in the salon - it serves as additional clothing storage.

I installed a shelf for a small TV/VCR combo on the port bulkhead in the main salon - and that eliminated the hassle of moving the tv from the small settee when guests need a place to sit.

The list of future improvement projects is long - and I am really enjoying the learning curve as I tackle each new challenge.

#13 ·

kmeeks
Looks like we each have our own ways. I lived on my Lancer 29 for a bit more than a year. She is still set up for liveaboard which makes her more fun to sail. I too added a rod to the head (I hate to iron and alas I still must work)I removed my starboard side setee and installed a cabnet with a shelf my frig and my microwave. I can put Tons of choths in it I still have space if I could talk my wife into moving out of the house and moving back onto the boat. I have expanded my "v"berth ok I lost the hanging locker and a couple of cabnets. But then again I gained more storage under the expanded berth.. All in all she is alot more boat more than she was when I bought her.

#14 ·

My girlfriend and I will attempt to live and cruise on a 46'' Tartan for several years. It has lots of systems: two AC units, Heat, Refridgeration, Deep Freeze, 5lb a day Ice maker, 250 gal per day water maker, electric winch, and great sailing electronics. Problem is, the boat is 10 years old and what is supposed to be a relaxing sabbatical will more likely turn into a race to keep one step ahead of system failures.

I just got back from living on it for three weeks and a 500 mile shakedown and it looks like I will be spending another year preparing while I attend vocational school learning about diesel engines and refrigeration. Smaller is better unless you''re going to be tied to a dock.

#16 ·

Well, after a long hiatus, Im back at last...
The past year has been incredibly busy, outfitting and shaking down Etheria, the 32'' Westerly ketch that has been home for the past 14 months.
If I could change anything about her, Id make the aft cabin just a little bigger... its more like an afterthought cabin. Aside from that, I think she''s the best boat I could possibly want. At the moment, Im living in a marina, but am planning to cruise this winter.

#17 ·

Hi...

My wife and I live on a 38'' Shannon in the Puget Sound area of Washington State. We are in to our second year; made it through our first winter without too much problems. We have one and half years before we begin cruising. If you have particular questions, please feel free to e-mail us.

Tom/Renee

#221 · (Edited)
Re: Who''''s living on what??

Hi...

My wife and I live on a 38'' Shannon in the Puget Sound area of Washington State. We are in to our second year; made it through our first winter without too much problems. We have one and half years before we begin cruising. If you have particular questions, please feel free to e-mail us.

Tom/Renee
you guys live on a 38 inch boat? how's that work? :D

hmmm after reading more posts, it seems a lot of folks make the same error. ' means feet and " means inches. kind of reminds me of that movie, "this is spinal tap". the band comes up with this stage design for a 24 foot stone henge and want elves dancing around it. they make a mistake and write 24" instead of 24', on the napkin picture, so what they get is elves dancing around a 2 foot tall stone henge that they tower over. funny movie.

#18 ·

I can''t resist adding my name to the roll!

Skip and I live and cruise aboard a beautiful Baba 30, a Robert Perry design that is a snug but comfortable home. I previously cruised first on a Contessa 35 (more of a racer, didn''t have enough stowage for serious cruising) then a Hans Christian 36 (another Bob Perry design). The Baba performs better than the HC as a sailor, but of course the HC had more living space.

I am writing a booklet about choosing a cruising boat, and I just finished drafting "Trish''s dream list for a boat". I will share the SHORT version of the list here (without the explaing notes...you will definitely notice that some of the things are mutually exclusive! Plus, after 20 years of cruising, I notice that many things lean more toward cruising than simply living aboard):

-- A double ended cutter. No good reason for this. It's just what I like!
-- Wheel steering.
-- Some teak trim. I like the look but hate the maintenance!
-- A nonskid deck.
-- A boomkin.
-- A cutaway full keel with prop in an aperture.
-- A fixed keel of no more than 6-foot draft with the boat loaded.
-- Furling headsail and hank-on staysail. Again, this increases the choices for sail and rig.
-- Halyards led aft.
-- Mast pulpits.
-- A boom gallows.
-- A cockpit with a fairly small well and seats long enough to sleep on.
-- A hard dodger.
-- Aluminum toe rail.
-- A compact galley.
-- Lots of counter space in the galley. (OK, so having a compact galley pretty much kills this one. But it's a DREAM boat!)
-- A shower stall separate from the toilet area.
-- A reefer that can be accessed by side door as well as from the top.
-- Lots of handholds throughout the cabin.
-- A Yanmar engine.
-- Easy access to the engine.
-- Easy access to tankage and batteries.
-- An anchoring system that is easy to deploy and haul up.
-- An aft master cabin with a "pullman" type queen-size berth.
-- Finally, a boat that I am confident that I can handle by myself in any sea condition.

Like I said, this is a draft list, and there''s more--I''ve left off my "dream equipment list" because that''s the subject of the NEXT booklet!!!

Trish Lambert
S/V Nehalennia
www.takehersailing.com
trish@takehersailing.com

#19 ·

My wife, Shelly, and I live on a 39'' Allied Mistress. We are still working and paying the boat off but we love it. We have been living onboard for only a month now and we are learning as we go. Before this boat we owned a 25'' Hunter.

Steve & Shelly

#20 ·

thanks for asking my question. I too am interested in what people are ''actually'' living aboard rather than wishing they were and not doing it. I am just getting started in putting together a list of possible boats too go cruising/living aboard on and finding it discouraging with the bigger is better. I need a boat that is first seaworthy but cost effective as I want to go sooner not later. So any more suggestions of actual boats that are cruising from Florida into the Caribbean would be helpful.

#22 ·

Ok we are not living aboard right now but we have and are going to again. The first boat was seventy feet and needed a crew of three to take care of it.We were young and dumb and lived like their was no tomorrow and had lots of room to do what ever we wanted. The maintanance was murder. The years passed and so did the money days. Next I lived on a 30 foot boat for three years.Loved the V birth as I could stick my head out at night and quickly get a (heads up) view of my situation very handy when on the hook. The problems were working everyday my spouce was an office type and needed everything hung up. I was a boat rigger and never had enough room for tools on a thirty foot boat. This was because the salon on one side was a hanging area for clothes. Wet toilet paper is another problem as well as water if on the hook (water tank to small) head was the shower and you forget to stash the TP. In the morning I skipped the wake up shower so she could do her thing and I spent that time loading water jugs into the dink for the trip back in the evening. I made up for the shower when I could manage a night usually a saturday in a hotel for some cable and long soak.Also living day to day on the small ice box and an igloo is tough you start to get creative on what you store and how. The grill gets used more and more as you don''t want to cook below and stink up your house and clothes. So maybe a 50'' boat is great for people who need a bit more space like a work area and living room bathroom and galley. Oh and a place to hang all the friggin clothes.

#23 ·

Since I work every day I just keep my clothes mostly in my car. I keep a few on the boat so I have something to wear when I forget to bring clothes down from the car. In the winter towels do not dry in the car so I have enough to make it to laundry day.

My boat is a Gulf 29 and I have spent almost a year on it while I was selling my house and after. When I bought the boat I did not envision spending more than a week or two on it, but it has turned out to be fairly comfortable as long as I am in the marina. I probably could live away from the dock with a few adjustments, but I would prefer to get a bigger boat. One thing I do like about it is, since it is a pilothouse I can look out of the boat in any direction as long as the curtains are open. The penalty for the pilothouse in a small boat is 5''4" headroom in the head and forward cabin. Its 6''4" in the salon, although I do have a hatch in the head so I can stand inside and have my eyes above deck. Also I could hang a sun shower there but never have yet.

Ken

#25 ·

We just bought a Morgan 323. Any suggestions on what you would change? I need to replace the water heater, any input? Size or make/model? She has refridgeration, no Air. We are in a marina now, working on downsizing. Our plan is to do some coastal cruising (Beaufort,NC area) then try some Island hopping.

#26 ·

can''t get the anchor up. my wife and i have been actively looking to join the lifestyles of the live-a-board, cruisers for quite some time now. i believe i have read almost every entry on this bb and all of the others i''ve been able to find, still trying to discover the fastest and easiest way to make the transition from 4000 sq.feet and 3 stories to a 38''-43'' live aboard. I have no problem giving up all of the STUFF that one accumulates thru the years but more importantly; what do i keep to transfer too the boat? dishes,silver,towels,(art and crystal) or do these types of items get tossed too violently to be practical. most all of our experiences have been on larger sport fishermen type boats and we can''t wait to start sailing and living aboard. oh, most all of our cruising for a while will be coastal and we are certainly looking for any imput as to which boat you believe to be the best suited to this type of cruising? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.