SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/64223-moving-olympia-alaska-via-1967-bristol-27-a.html)

ryancorkrey 04-27-2010 01:11 AM

Moving Olympia to Alaska via 1967 Bristol 27

I am 23 years old and looking to uplift my roots in Olympia, wa. i have decent sailing expirence having played around in the san juans. The voyage is set for May 9. currently being inundated with last minute projects that seem never to end, was up on the mast today replacing all wiring.

a few questions regarding miscellaneous things:
-previous owner installed genoa, however label is removed thus not allowing me to see who manufactured it thus not allowing me to see what maintenance is needed, if any. don't want bearings to seize! any ideas on common maintenance required

-having never made the inside passage past port hardy, i am shaking with excitement. however seeing how i will be solo, it would be nice to get as much input/tips on the voyage as possible now, rather than telling horror stories later, if there is a later!

-You might ask now, where in Alaska? I'll being staying around SE Alaska
my idea is to livaboard near a cannery or fishing warf to act as home base year round while working in any aspect of the fishing industry. any ideas on where this maybe?Juno..petersburg...

with reading all that any help would be tremendously appreciated. and anything else that might help would also be great.
thanks for your time, sorry for the essay:)
Ryan Corkrey

sailingdog 04-27-2010 07:21 AM

I'm a bit worried...since Genoas don't have bearings... and if you're calling a roller furler a genoa, you have more immediate concerns than setting sail for Alaska IMHO.

Sailing in the Inside Passage or the waters off the Alaskan coast is not a trivial thing to do. The "decent sailing experience having played around in the San Juans" may or may not be sufficient for what you're about to attempt, depending on what you mean by decent sailing experience.

Also, I'd point out that a Bristol 27 isn't really a bluewater boat.

I'd ask a few questions:

1) When was the Bristol last surveyed?
2) When was the rigging on the Bristol last replaced?
3) What do you mean when you say "decent sailing experience having played around in the San Juans"?
4) What have you done to the Bristol to prepare it for this trip?

I'm not trying to be mean, but I really don't want to read about you in the news as a USCG statistic either.

ryancorkrey 04-27-2010 01:29 PM

help, not WALLS

lollolwtf. One word, and your off with degrading. Out of the sails one is a Genoa. They are on a furler. do you say "pull furler" or "pull jenny" sorry but hope you can understand my mistake. So can you show me your experience by answering the question at hand? Sorry, but it was one word. Because of that one word you went on the offensive not answering any questions, instead stepping on the guy with lower expirence points.

I purposefully put
“it would be nice to get as much input/tips on the voyage as possible now, rather than telling horror stories later, if there is a later”
For a reason

I then must ask what your idea of “bluewater boat” is because I am aware of your biases, on boat builder’s row you just went into Bristol and commented on some guys thread that he shouldn't waste his time restoring the Bristol. If memory serves me right you also didn't even answer his question.

SEE Atom Voyages

Surveyed 4 months ago, planned ahead. Restored the boat taking everything out to the shell, fiberglass and paint outside and inside. Put a lot of the original layout back in, replaced all thru hulls and retrofitted plumbing, electrical, and now trying to maintain furler.

In December was the last time I was in san juans, she wasn't having any problems in the 14' swells. No I don't have around the world experience, but ever since I was young it was boats sailing or motoring. I know enough to not take the decision lightly, but also know how to ask for help. Thus me asking for help/advice.

p.s. sailingdog, have you sailed the inside passage? If you have then please help. If your just racking on 25 posts a day for respect, then well you aren’t helping anybody. if you have personal experience with Bristol enlightening me.

tones beget tones

christyleigh 04-27-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryancorkrey (Post 597961)
label is removed thus not allowing me to see who manufactured it thus not allowing me to see what maintenance is needed, if any. don't want bearings to seize! any ideas on common maintenance required

Not an easy answer without knowing the brand and when you get enough posts (10 I believe) to post a picture that would be a big help. For instance the last 2 furlers on my last 2 boats were Schaeffers (open drum with the line held in by 4 or 5 flat metal fingers) and they NEVER require grease - just wash out the salt. But..... my current boat has a Furlex (closed drum) which DOES require grease. And of course there are a few more flavors out there and chances are your Bristol because of age and make probably doesn't have either of the above.

sailingdog 04-27-2010 02:52 PM

The major brands of furlers all have different maintenance requirements, as christyleigh points out.

Furlex uses steel bearings that need greasing about once a year. Profurl uses sealed bearings that are maintenance free, at least until they start leaking and then seize up. Harken uses torlon bearings that should not be lubricated with anything other than dry spray lubricant like McLube SailKote. Don't know about the requirements on Alado or Facnor, but doubt you have either, as they're not that common.

Was the standing rigging surveyed? Do you know how old it is? Given that the boat is almost 40 years old, I'm hoping you're not on the original standing rig. Chances are fairly good that the rigging was replaced when the furler was installed, as part of the upgrade. Do you know how old the furler is?

Have you pulled the chainplates and inspected them? Crevice corrosion can be a problem with chainplates, and the plates may look fine from the deck and cabin, but the area that usually suffers the worst corrosion is the section that passes through the deck. As an example of crevice corrosion, I'd point out the photos of keelbolts that Maine Sail has posted on his site.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/84/622984/1/92...ftKeelbolt.JPG

If you're going to be living aboard, are you going to be installing a heater? Diesel is probably the best fuel for a heater in terms of cost and usability. Roger Long just did an installation of a Dickenson diesel heater on his boat that you might be interested in reading about.

What other projects were you considering to make the boat more habitable? Ventilation and insulation are usually requirements for living aboard in the winter. Solar ventilators are probably not going to be really useful given your location, at least in winter. Installing furring strips and adding interior paneling with insulation behind it is usually a good idea. The insulation I've installed on several boats that is made by Reflectix and is a combination of radiant heat reflector and insulation, and has a fairly high R value for something only 5/16" thick.

jrd22 04-27-2010 03:38 PM

Whoa there Ryan, SD was reacting to a post that definitely gave the impression that you had very little experience with boats or sailing. He, and lot's of others here have seen too many young people plan to sail off into the sunset without a clue about what they are doing, thereby endangering themselves as well as the people sent to rescue them. Your defensive attitude probably won't encourage people to give you the help you are asking for, just a suggestion when joining a new forum:) .

I've only done the inside once, in a fishing boat, so I'm no expert but I did pick the skipper's and the deck hand's brains the whole way up so I can tell you a couple of things: Strait of Georgia can get really nasty, especially as early as you are leaving, be cautious. When the report says "Gale force" for Johnstone St., believe it and don't go, especially if winds are from NW (usual) and an ebb tide (ebb flows north past Mittlenatch Is., which is south of Campbell R.). Most places where you are going to want to anchor were old logging sites and the bottom is fouled with cables, etc., it's much safer to tie up to the government wharfs (usually painted red, if you have Waggoner's cruising guide it tells where they are located). If you do have to anchor run a trip line in case it gets hung up. The government wharfs are full of commercial fishing boats so you will have to raft up, and plan on someone rafting to you so put adequate fenders out. Government docks are sometimes few and far between so plan accordingly. You will NOT be able to get all the way through Grenville channel in one tide so plan to spend a long time there and be aware that HUGE cruise ships use it and it's really skinny in a lot of places. Fuel stops past Pt. Hardy need to be carefully planned. As far as where to go to try to get a fishing job (I assume you have no experience?) I would stick to Ketchikan where you will at least have opportunities for other work if it turns out to be difficult to find a job fishing. If Ketchikan isn't to your liking both Wrangell and Petersburg are great little towns with very active fishing fleets, but like most Alaska fishing towns they can be kind of rough on a rookie.

Good luck to you, hope you have a good trip.

erps 04-27-2010 04:47 PM

A friend of my son went up as far north as Glacier Bay a few years back in a boat about your size. They left in April. I'll see if I can find a link to his blog. Can't give you any advice on sailing in rough stuff. I"ve been boating in the Puget Sound for 25 years and try and stay off the water if there are gale warnings. I didn't know we could get 14' swells in the San Juans. That must have been kind of scary

ryancorkrey 04-28-2010 03:29 AM

Sorry, it was a bit rough

SD thank you and you have a cause for concern with good reason, it is not to be taken lightly. i have ERIB and survival suit, i want an adventure and thus far have used this forum for advice over the past two or so years when i started to think about getting back to the water, to this point.

unfortunately i have the propane bulkhead heater, but will be taking an uncomfortable amount of propane. previous owner decided that, could replace everything.

yeah the swells were interesting, south of Lawson Reef east of Hein Bank, ended up heading for the hills, but what was great was i didn't hear any significant creaks and bulkheads stayed put. since then it has been surveyed, i have reinforced chain plates, support beam just in front of mast, and bulkheads, while on the outside sanded and reinforced weak spots around deck midship.

sailingdog 04-28-2010 07:29 AM

What kind of propane heater is it??? Hopefully it is a fully vented unit, otherwise it will introduce an awful lot of moisture into the boat, and that can lead to mold/mildew/condensation problems. Be aware that you'll use a lot of propane living on the boat and will need a good local supplier...

Maxboatspeed 04-28-2010 08:08 AM

Inside passage

Ryan,
Cool. Inside passage to Ketch? Exciting!
First, the advice and concern about your voyage is justified. He knows his snit, and is concerned about your safety.
So you get where I'm coming from, here's me:
I am a lifetime sailor and I currently own a 40' boat moored in Seattle.
I have sailed singlehanded a lot.
I spent 5 yrs as a tug master, towing barges between Seattle and SE AK. Also, have experience throughout SE. I've been to every town you may be considering. Lots of time on this route with a tug and barge. Haven't sailed it.
Here's some stuff that seems relevant:
-Furler: if you want to know what it is, look for similar, ask an old boatyard guy, etc. This blog was a wise start. If it works well now, it should be ok for your trip. Probably a low priority concern.
- you'll need charts. 50 comes to mind, maybe a few more or less. Depending on a computer for this is a bad idea. I'm not going to suggest outdated charts are usable. Just a whole lot cheaper.
- plan your route and know possible holes.
- as mentioned, the is huge amount of commercial traffic. All of it will take their half out of the middle (ok, not all). Be aware of the VTS and frequencies.
- Current is a prime concern (Example: Seymour Narrows can have 16 kts)
- often the wind will not be in your favor. A reliable engine, and fuel, is a must.
- monitor the wx. Wind against current can add up to seas dangerous to large commercial vessels.
-again, the wx and sea conditions are not to be taken lightly.
-I advise you to continue to seek advice from folks that know from experience.

- fishing in AK ain't what it used to be. Getting on a boat without experience will be tough. Logging? Canning? These industries are also WAY down. Tourism is up and I believe seasonal jobs are available?
- Ketchikan is the first large (for Ak) town after you cross the boarder. I know guys there that would be happy to let you buy them a drink, ect. From there you can learn about SE AK.
Good luck, Safe sailing!
Max