Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
When your young the sky is the limit. Go live on a boat it is really a wonderful lifetime experience. Very few things that you do in your life you will remember with clarity. The years of your life living on a boat will be remembered and larger than life when the story is being told. As you grow older and find out that there is something to say about throwing a ball to your dog, planting some flowers, the smell of the house on turkey day, sitting in the hot tub, a big comfortable chair in which to fall asleep while watching a movie with a nice 7.1 system. You may even change your mind on the kid thing. It is funny, you never realize that are things in the world that you love more than yourself. If you ever have a child in your life, yours, adopted, neighbors, whatever it will dawn on you why you are really here. This is one heck of a ride, there are no instructions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2011

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
My opinion, only you can answer your question. You have to be true to yourself and what you want out of life, versus what society, family, friends, think you ought to do. I spent many years in corporate america, owned a couple of businesses, and two homes. I was only ever really happy on my limited time off doing what I do now full-time. I don't miss cleaning rooms I never used, 6 day work weeks, or car payments. I had the money to travel, but only could get away long weekends. Now, my cars a little older, I cook my steak and crab legs myself and buy $7 wine and it's the PERFECT life for me. My family however, thinks I've gone insane.... so, be true to yourself, you only get one turn at this. At your age and family situation, you have the time and flexibility to figure what that is out, you just have to go after it.
Old 10-13-2011

ewoden is on a distinguished road
Count me in for supporting the boat now. You are young and now is the time to test your mettle and the relationship with your spouse regarding living aboard. It isn't for everybody and may not be for your spouse after experiencing it for a while. Better to know that up front and deal with it then wait decades, build up the wealth, properties, etc. and find your pay-off dream dashed on the rocks of an unwilling spouse. Or worse, face the financial and emotional torment of pursuing your dream at the expense of shedding/losing a spouse. Look around, there a plenty of boats up for sale in the Carib. that are monuments to a failed trial period, and there lots of now single folks who lost the significant other in pursuit of a late in life dream.
Old 11-04-2011

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I just noticed this thread kept rolling after I left it a little over a year ago. I want to thank everyone for their input. I enjoyed reading all of the thoughful, reasoned responses; and have pulled a few good considerations from them even after the fact.

Just to close the loop, we ended up building a house in Florida (prices were VERY attractive, and we capitalized on the low interest rates), and we are now keeping the boat at a great marina nearby.

The folks who said the operating costs of a home were high were certainly not joking. Interest, insurance, property tax, landscaping service, utilities, etc, etc, etc can certainly take a toll (not to mention the operating costs of the boat as well); but all in all I am pleased with the decision.

I am happy to say that this is not the end of the story though. Beginning next month we are going to begin the process of downsizing, and getting things in order for a year's leave of absence in the Caribbean.

The house will go up for rent beginning Nov 2012, the first of our vehicles is getting sold next month (doesn't get much use anyway), furniture and personnal effects will go into storage, and we'll go from there. Right now I am working on a rough itinerary, routing, and am in the middle of outfitting the boat for longer-term cruising.

While it's not the "all or nothing" answer I thought we'd be living by this stage, it's a pretty solid compromise. I'm hoping we use this opportunity to reassess our priorities, and enjoy some MUCH needed decompression.

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear that was the decision. I didn't weigh in a year ago, but that's the advice I would've given. Keep at it and fair winds.
Old 11-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Congratulations. Getting away for a leave ia on our radar prior to retirement, which is at least a decade off. I would have to manage some responsibilities from afar (internet, sat phone, etc), but hope to be able to at some point.

I've moved so much that I have rented a prior house along the way. In fact, I rented one for about 10 years (back in the last real estate crash). Be very careful.

The average tenant will treat it as semi-disposable, so do not expect to get it back in the same condition you left it. I've found the best way to keep the tenant from soing outright stupid things is to be sure you keep it in great shape. Everything should work and be proper and clean. As soon as they see you let something slip, they will double the bet.

If you're away, be sure to have someone that will manage the property and has a checkbook to fix things.

Hope you have a great cruise !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-04-2011

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Minnewaska;793611]

The average tenant will treat it as semi-disposable, so do not expect to get it back in the same condition you left it. I've found the best way to keep the tenant from soing outright stupid things is to be sure you keep it in great shape. Everything should work and be proper and clean. As soon as they see you let something slip, they will double the bet.

QUOTE]

That's my biggest concern. There's a chance I won't have to rent it assuming our savings are where I want them this time next year. We'll see how it plays out. Worst case, I think the benefits of taking the year outwiegh the thought of someone damaging the house (though I hate the thought of that).