Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
I'm another youngster who's been at this in a 30 foot boat for a year. There is great truth in the statement that a dorm room is training for a liveaboard. Anyway here are some points of consideration.

you could get a boat on ebay or craigslist.
don't know what it is where you are, but around here a survey is $20 a foot. for a good survey you gotta haul the boat out to see the bottom and splash it for a sea trial, so you need to account for a haul n launch.

To get a 30 foot boat inspected, for me, cost $1000 because the previous owner wouldnt come and insisted i hire a captain for the sea trial.
The Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread can often give you enough information to decide whether a boat is worth going ahead further on, saving the cost of a sea trial, inspection, haul out, etc., for only the boats that are worthy of it.

Quote:
After that, you're making repairs to get the boat in liveable conditon. Oftentimes, the windows are leaky and need caulking (or butyl tape if you don't like to redo it every year), the ac wiring is insufficient to carry a space heater, the plumbing may need something.
Yes, getting the boat to be a dry boat is key to making it a comfortable boat to liveaboard. The other things need to be addressed, but only after you get the boat tight and dry.

Quote:
All these first time expenses point to the necessity to get a loan for the boat purchase.
Depends. If you have a decent boat buying budget, and reserve 15-20% of it for refitting, modifying, repairing and upgrading the boat, then a loan may not be required.

Quote:
After that, there's regular maintenance. Sanding and painting the bottom is expensive and filthy, and even more expensive to have it done. Engines cost money to maintain, unless you're mechanically inclined.
The more you can do yourself, the more money you'll save. Boat yards generally charge $85-125 PER HOUR for working on boats...

Quote:
You can get insurance from boatus for not much. I recommend towing insurance if you go sailing, tows are ridiculously expensive.
Towing insurance, particularly unlimited towing, is a very good idea. About $145 per year, and well worth it, kind of like AAA for boats... One tow will pay for several years of membership pretty easily.

Quote:
Points of consideration when looking at boats
-Does it have a head? How big is the holding tank?
-Does it have a fridge? These are valuable!!
-Does it have a shower and hot water?
-Can you stand up in it?
-If you run a space heater, will it trip the breaker? Will it burn up the shore power cord?
I'd point out that the head, holding tank, shower and hot water are often unnecessary for a liveaboard boat at a marina, since most marinas provide these facilities as part of their amenities.

A refrigerator and good galley will be a necessity, unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to eat out all the time.

Standing headroom is pretty nice, but not a necessity.

A good shorepower system will be a key part to making a liveaboard boat workable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A refrigerator and good galley will be a necessity, unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to eat out all the time.
Necessity is a strong word, i lived for a year without a fridge. Dry beans, rice, quinoa, noodles, flour, veg oil, eggs for some time, cheese for some time, fresh veg and meat on the day its bought. It's doable, it gets old but a fridge isn't necessary.
Old 06-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most people aren't willing to settle for that big a change in lifestyle, even moving aboard a boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
Necessity is a strong word, i lived for a year without a fridge. Dry beans, rice, quinoa, noodles, flour, veg oil, eggs for some time, cheese for some time, fresh veg and meat on the day its bought. It's doable, it gets old but a fridge isn't necessary.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-23-2010

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
I moved aboard when I was 25 too. Now I am (ahem) 37, married, one kid and one on the way and still aboard. Never regretted a minute. We were lucky enough that as my now husband and I were both looking for boats, we found each other. By combining our resources and moving in together we were able to get a much nicer starter boat. And it worked out - both the relationship and the lifestyle. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-01-2010

petes334 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a no brainer to me. I would go for the boat.
Old 07-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
the 30' size fits me nicely-the 6 4 headroom a major plus. I got a pretty good deal... i found that some marinas have boats that they dont have much into (mine came out of receivership). they wanted 5k. i offered to give them a small cash bid, or pay 2500 and 500 a mo for six mo with the stipulation all marina fees (slip/elec/garbage) were to be waived during that time... they went for the latter and it worked out well. im guessing it worked out to about 3k

that being said.... it needed work. I replaced all running, interior woodwork and general finishing. rebuilt the carb, major tune up of a4, new ports, stereo etc. started with the essentials then moved on to the creature comforts.

I made pals with the guy who sold it to me, who let me salvage parts from hurricane boats he purchased. the deal was, if i used it i kept it, if i sold it i gave him some of the action. that helped costs a lot. being in school if you find some kind of project make pals with kids in other majors (ie elec eng.) to help you out with the stuff you dont know. for example a client of mine is a glazier and cut me lexan ports for no charge at all. some beer and time on the water is good bait.

oh, one other thing the marina does have b-room/shower facilities which is very handy, but down here in TX those are usable just about year round. i wouldnt trade it for anything.

good luck, have fun.

Grampian 30 Photo Album

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 07-02-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
oh, the other thing i did want to mention... some projects are easy to do on a boat (i mean physically onboard) some are hard to immpossible. eg there is no way i could put a table saw in my cabin. so it is very handy to have a pal/sig other that will let you use some garage space as a shop to work on some of the stuff. just something to keep in mind when evaluating the feasability of project work that you need/want to get done. heck the college might even have a shop you could use. happy 4th of july...go find a boat!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-02-2010

sailpony is on a distinguished road
Reasons not to liveaboard

Chicks won't stay with you.
There's no place to take a crap, or it's always a real pain to deal with (the head will leak, smell, squeal, clog, squirt, and finally crack off it's mount one romantic evening when when your 1st and only date's been swayed for a stay-over. Your holding tank will have already been choked full as the head breaks, and you've unknowingly managed to improperly set the Y valve, so the over-pressurized system is about to blow the crap out of everything). There's nowhere to take a real shower, let alone a hot one, because the bottom of your hot water heater (all 6 gallons of it) will have long since rusted away and the element is fried anyway.
Other reasons not to liveaboard are mold (a special kind of mold unique to your boat and you, a mold that will find it's way into the cheap plastic cups left aboard with little anchor decals and labels like 'captain' and '1st mate' on their faded blue or red finish. You will drink this mold and it will grow in you, causing odd rashes and an awful cough, especially if you smoke).
Still more reasons to avoid the small sailboat life are; damp clothes, $70 swollen history books with stained pages that you can never sell back to the cutthroat college book store, chainplate leaks that drain into your bling shoes, jerking dock lines will moan and keep you awake like a snoring fat wife, and a most inadequate desk (they like to call it a chart table) where everything on it's surface must be scrapped off in order to open it's lid.
You will most definitely smack your head several times a month, and the scabs on your swollen scalp will train you to duck after about the 3rd visit to that particular location.
Still more leaks will pool around your tired feet and sleepy head as you lay in a coffin-like bed that's sloped, crooked, and hard to get into, and if you're lucky enough to have adequate cushion's below you will smack your head again (when you suddenly wake up from a dream), on a jib-track thru-bolt (the bolt's imprinted scar will be indented on your forehead).
Garbage will pile up, the birds will smell it, and if you leave it in the cockpit they will have their way with it.
Soon after you neatly pack all your belongings aboard you won't be able to locate anything, and you'll end up ripping the entire boat apart trying to find that one camera to laptop cable. Finally you'll just cram everything into compacted wads of disorganization (that will get damp and ruined). The boat will eventually fill up with every useless, non sailing item you bring aboard, rendering your vessel inoperative. You won't know what to do with all the junk that already came with the boat from other's before you, maintenance supplies, boat bits, outdated charts, (warped brushes, rusted primer cans, jelled varnish, mixed stainless fasteners scattered about, fillers, wet sand paper, bits of line, broken blocks, and congealed mystery items that you think are useful but have no idea why. Your limber holes will be plugged, your bilge pump float switch wires will be exposed and shorted, the bilge pump will be upside down and frozen, and cracked, and every hose clamp aboard will be too long and waiting to cut you, rusted and about to break and sink your boat, and half of the cheap plastic thru hull handles will break off when you try and close them anyway (You've already tossed those tapered wooden plugs because you didn't know what they were for). Only one running light will work, no steaming light, your friend will kick off the stern light when he's taking a leak, and maybe you'll have two cabin lights functional, one of them will be half full of water. Your house battery will be mostly dry and frothing at the terminals, and it will be mostly dead anyway once you cast off, failing completely at dusk just when a towing tug is crawling up your arse because you've sailed in its lane. The outboard motor will never keep running long because you've mixed it's fuel with 10w40, the fuel vent on the gas tank is closed, and your friend frantically removed the red kill switch tab before jerking the chord out of the flywheel grove as you yelled at him to get the bleeping motor going, while you were scrambling for the outdated flare kit to ward off the approaching tug in tow.
After Boat US has towed you home (avoid the Coast Guard), and you've passed out in your dank hole you will wake up at 3 AM and lie there wishing you had a refrigerator, shower, and a toilet to snuggle as the dampness from your beer breath condenses and drips on your dehydrated lips.
When a dry spell arrives you have recovered enough to try and re-bed your leaking stanchion bases, but soon give up for lack of access and blob the caulk of the day over their bent bolt heads and cracked deck base. You will eventually spend too much money and time 'fixing it up', doing it wrong, and putting up with local dock ridicule. Within six months you will move off your cradle of love which you paid too much for (even if it was free) and will still be stuck with the slip fees. Your parents will send you early birthday money, you will sleep in your old room, and mom will buy you some new clothes.
After spring break you will return to your still-floating mistress, bail out the bilge, clean everything up, and try and pass her burden's way to another swamp rat.
Having only motor-sailed her once or twice and still not knowing how trim the sails or set the hook, you will soon yearn for a larger boat, more money, then finally come to your senses and move in with your new girlfriend.
Old 07-02-2010
Telstar 28

Sailpony—

If you can't properly maintain a boat, that's no reason to blame the boat. Well found boats don't leak and are dry on the inside.

If you're too lazy to take the trash and throw it out properly, then you've got really no one to blame but yourself. Much the same can be said about the rest of your miserable rant.

Of course, if you have the habits that lead to a boat in that condition, it isn't really a surprise that chicks won't date you.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Pony - this is a freakin' classic. I'm putting it in the Salt's thread.

You...are....the....man!

(Dog, dude, you're way too uptight. Have a mimosa or something.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpony View Post
Chicks won't stay with you.
There's no place to take a crap, or it's always a real pain to deal with (the head will leak, smell, squeal, clog, squirt, and finally crack off it's mount one romantic evening when when your 1st and only date's been swayed for a stay-over. Your holding tank will have already been choked full as the head breaks, and you've unknowingly managed to improperly set the Y valve, so the over-pressurized system is about to blow the crap out of everything). There's nowhere to take a real shower, let alone a hot one, because the bottom of your hot water heater (all 6 gallons of it) will have long since rusted away and the element is fried anyway.
Other reasons not to liveaboard are mold (a special kind of mold unique to your boat and you, a mold that will find it's way into the cheap plastic cups left aboard with little anchor decals and labels like 'captain' and '1st mate' on their faded blue or red finish. You will drink this mold and it will grow in you, causing odd rashes and an awful cough, especially if you smoke).
Still more reasons to avoid the small sailboat life are; damp clothes, $70 swollen history books with stained pages that you can never sell back to the cutthroat college book store, chainplate leaks that drain into your bling shoes, jerking dock lines will moan and keep you awake like a snoring fat wife, and a most inadequate desk (they like to call it a chart table) where everything on it's surface must be scrapped off in order to open it's lid.
You will most definitely smack your head several times a month, and the scabs on your swollen scalp will train you to duck after about the 3rd visit to that particular location.
Still more leaks will pool around your tired feet and sleepy head as you lay in a coffin-like bed that's sloped, crooked, and hard to get into, and if you're lucky enough to have adequate cushion's below you will smack your head again (when you suddenly wake up from a dream), on a jib-track thru-bolt (the bolt's imprinted scar will be indented on your forehead).
Garbage will pile up, the birds will smell it, and if you leave it in the cockpit they will have their way with it.
Soon after you neatly pack all your belongings aboard you won't be able to locate anything, and you'll end up ripping the entire boat apart trying to find that one camera to laptop cable. Finally you'll just cram everything into compacted wads of disorganization (that will get damp and ruined). The boat will eventually fill up with every useless, non sailing item you bring aboard, rendering your vessel inoperative. You won't know what to do with all the junk that already came with the boat from other's before you, maintenance supplies, boat bits, outdated charts, (warped brushes, rusted primer cans, jelled varnish, mixed stainless fasteners scattered about, fillers, wet sand paper, bits of line, broken blocks, and congealed mystery items that you think are useful but have no idea why. Your limber holes will be plugged, your bilge pump float switch wires will be exposed and shorted, the bilge pump will be upside down and frozen, and cracked, and every hose clamp aboard will be too long and waiting to cut you, rusted and about to break and sink your boat, and half of the cheap plastic thru hull handles will break off when you try and close them anyway (You've already tossed those tapered wooden plugs because you didn't know what they were for). Only one running light will work, no steaming light, your friend will kick off the stern light when he's taking a leak, and maybe you'll have two cabin lights functional, one of them will be half full of water. Your house battery will be mostly dry and frothing at the terminals, and it will be mostly dead anyway once you cast off, failing completely at dusk just when a towing tug is crawling up your arse because you've sailed in its lane. The outboard motor will never keep running long because you've mixed it's fuel with 10w40, the fuel vent on the gas tank is closed, and your friend frantically removed the red kill switch tab before jerking the chord out of the flywheel grove as you yelled at him to get the bleeping motor going, while you were scrambling for the outdated flare kit to ward off the approaching tug in tow.
After Boat US has towed you home (avoid the Coast Guard), and you've passed out in your dank hole you will wake up at 3 AM and lie there wishing you had a refrigerator, shower, and a toilet to snuggle as the dampness from your beer breath condenses and drips on your dehydrated lips.
When a dry spell arrives you have recovered enough to try and re-bed your leaking stanchion bases, but soon give up for lack of access and blob the caulk of the day over their bent bolt heads and cracked deck base. You will eventually spend too much money and time 'fixing it up', doing it wrong, and putting up with local dock ridicule. Within six months you will move off your cradle of love which you paid too much for (even if it was free) and will still be stuck with the slip fees. Your parents will send you early birthday money, you will sleep in your old room, and mom will buy you some new clothes.
After spring break you will return to your still-floating mistress, bail out the bilge, clean everything up, and try and pass her burden's way to another swamp rat.
Having only motor-sailed her once or twice and still not knowing how trim the sails or set the hook, you will soon yearn for a larger boat, more money, then finally come to your senses and move in with your new girlfriend.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-02-2010 at 08:46 PM.