Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010

jobi is on a distinguished road
winter liveabord in Montreal?

just wondering if one can livabord on the hard in winter?

I have acces to electricity for heating and cooking, of coars this would only be this winter to save cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, living aboard on the hard is generally a bad idea, especially in places that get a lot of snow and cold weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-28-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Pretty hard to do

We lived onboard over a couple of winters in New York City and being in the water helps a lot since it is not much below 30F (salt) and the air near the surface is kept a bit warmer too. On the hard the boat would be exposed on all sides to air that could be -20 and colder. Don't know if people live on boats all year in Montreal - there are lots of people doing that in Toronto which is similar in terms of weather (other than snowfall).
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 06-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, there are people who do liveaboard year round in that part of the world, and some of them have blogs... none of them AFAIK winter aboard with the boat on the hard....all are living with the boat afloat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-28-2010

I was thinking on wintering in toronto because the water dont freez, in montreal I guess ice would make this imposible?
Old 06-28-2010
Telstar 28

Montreal and Toronto are pretty similar in terms of weather, and you could liveaboard in either city, provided the boat was on the water and the slip had the circulators to prevent ice from forming.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-29-2010

trust me winters in toronto ar a fun ride compared to winters in montreal, we get alot more snow and lower temps for a longer time period. most of the st-laurence freezes over and ice brakers work hard to keep the ship way clear.

I have never heard about circulators, in fact I dont know much about anything boat related, but I know it would take incredible circulation to keep water from freezing in anny marina anywhere in quebec.

I have friends in toronto that ride motorcycle almost year ronde, here we have ski-doos, and every winter we get the feeling we will ride them all year, but eventualy spring sets inn and we start living again.
Old 06-29-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
Kingston is closer to you than Toronto, and has a lovely little downtown area right around the marinas. Maybe there?
Old 06-29-2010

I love toronto and thers plenty job oportunities for me.
like Kingston too but nobody I know there.
but I think you ar right about Kingston being more clement then MTL, maybe boats cauld stay afloat all winter there?

cheers
Old 06-29-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Need to find somewhere that takes winter liveaboards

I think that the climate conditions in Kingston are doable and it is a lovely place to live, but you need to have a marina that operates in the winter and I doubt that either of the two large ones in Kingston do (downtown and Collins Bay). I know of several marinas in Toronto that have significant winter populations (Bluffers, west side of main harbour (forget the name) and Port Credit). Now is a good time to check on availability since the one downtown at least has a waiting list.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.