Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
Safety aboard starts with good systems

This link goes to a photo and video of a boat afire on the water near my home port. It looks like the trigger for the fire was a faulty pilot light on a propane stove on board.

Small boat engulfed in flames off Port Townsend | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional

I have to ask, are there really pilot lights on boats?! Really?? A boat seems to me the last place on earth you would want to have a constant flame. I have a LPG system on my boat that I live aboard but I need to use a solenoid cut off valve to make it go and then I have to light it by hand. What other saftey systems do you guys think are the ones that cause the most damage to boats? What are the latest technologies to make us safer? I want to know what I should be doing now and in the future so I don't become a statistic like this poor guy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i bet the bulk of boat explosions (esp power) come from leaving the fuel dock and forgetting to run the blower. saw a boat on my lake burn to the waterline this year due to that. poor guy had his kids with him

Three hurt when boat burns at Lake Ray Roberts | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-13-2010

Jurgy is on a distinguished road
So ... when whould this boat be considered a "project" boat ??
Old 09-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can't think of any marine propane appliances that have a PILOT LIGHT. That's just stupid. I also doubt any marine insurance carrier would approve such an installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-13-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
According to Boat US, based on a study of insurance claims they handled, the number one reason for boats to sink is failure of underwater fittings and plumbing. So I would suggest that attending to your plumbing systems is at least as important as making sure that fuel and electrical systems aren't going to cause a fire or explosion...

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 11-03-2010

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
All through hull fittings should be of properly heavy bronze and well sealed to solid hull material. All should have ball valves (the 90 degree turn lever kind) immediately inside the hull to shut them off. All should be sealed with a proper flexible below water line sealant and inspected regularily. Easy access to shutoff is critical too. Wanna be anal? shut the valve any time you leave the boat, I already entered one twin engine cruiser to work on it for a battery drain complaint and found what essentially amounted to an open sea ****, Pieces of plumbing to a below water line fitting were damaged from freezing and nobody saw it when the boat was put in the water so the bilge pump constantly ran, thankfully with shore power it kept up with the major leak. I was able to just shut the valve off since the water system was never used by them and that completed the repair and stopped the battery drain.