Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
never
Don't be so quick to dismiss other peoples life choices, even your parents, after all you are their product.

Before taking the plunge, test the waters. Learn to sail, charter a boat in a beautiful location and take your time finding out if this is your life choice.
elspru likes this.
Old 11-02-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
One thing that still surprises me is that in the year 2011, there's still so many people in the world with the "Yeah, but I'm/we're different" way of thinking. There's still that under current of ideology that causes a person to believe they can "let go of their stuff and move aboard to sail the world" with absolutely no plan of how that's going to take place and no resources to fund the trip. Never wanting to be a 'kill joy', we sit idly by and watch and wait for the reality to set in most of the time. However, this thread comes at a great time, in that hopefully a few of them will read it, but then again, who am I kidding? Here's one hint; the "I'll earn a living by writing a blog" idea is one you might wanna investigate a little further, lol. I want to add that having $1200.00 in one's pocket is a long way from broke in several circles ;-)

Thanks for the thread. Keep 'em coming.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
never
Don't be so quick to dismiss other peoples life choices, even your parents, after all you are their product.

Before taking the plunge, test the waters. Learn to sail, charter a boat in a beautiful location and take your time finding out if this is your life choice.

We are not dismissing our parents choices only stating we do not want to end up the way they are. Besides my dad told me 20 yrs ago he wanted to do much more than he is doing now but just never did it. Now he is almost to old. He does regret it a little that he went along with the standard way most around here grow old.

As far as a plan we are not just jumping into this without a well thought out plan. As you can see from our avitar we have been power boating for 30 yrs. Spending weeks at a time living aboard on Lake Michigan. The Carver in the pic is 32 ft. We know what it will be like to live aboard. Obviously we'll have to learn to sail, but boating experience we have plenty of already. Please don't jump all over us telling us we need to take lessons etc. We will be fine we are not dumb enough to just take off until we learn what we are doing. We have some time on a sail boat and have enjoyed them too.

Our original plan (10 yrs ago) included getting a trawler one that burns less than 1 GPH at 6 knots. But even than with fuel so high we decided sail was the way to go. Our carver was a great buy and meant to be a bridge between boats. Also the port we call home right now (portage Indiana) has low bridges so there are no sail boats there.

We will have to sell everything because that's where the cash to do it will come from. Unlike the rest of the world we have a great deal of equity in our property. Many 100's of thousands of dollars. Plus we live in the richest fastest growing county in Indiana and it's like in the top 10 nation wide. The housing market here is very strong and unemployment is down around 6%.

Anyway boring details I know. I'm surprised the feedback we are getting from ppl trying to say or imply don't do it. Like I said before this is not something we just thought of. This plan has been set for 10 yrs of or longer.

This is our retirement. We want to enjoy it while we can.
kelldog and elspru like this.
Old 11-02-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
neverknow,

You sound like you have a solid plan, and I myself truly understand not wanting to stay in one place for ever. The world is still big via a boat, and there's so much to experience. Some of it will make you appreciate what Indiana has to offer. Some of it will make you curious to what's over the horizon, or around the bend.

On the other hand a lot of people come in with big ideas, and no reality. This doesn't sound like you, but some of us to get a wee bit jaded, and worried about other folks. I didn't read anything that says don't go. What I read was a warning. Kind of like slow down around the turn when it's raining. BEST WISHES in making it happen. For me it is iintoxicating, and addictive. Even the tough days are something to be admired........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2011

To add just a little to frolic's eloquent post, I've got to say, if you are the type to get your feathers ruffled every time someone disagrees with you, this is going to be a long, hard journey, I'm afraid. No one said, "don't do it", and already you're drawing swords. Obviously, this isn't the first place to proffer doses of reality, so instead of getting defensive, try to read into what folks are saying. And, just as an aside, if you'll be stock full of all these "several hundreds of thousands of dollars" why would fuel cost be an issue? (see, these things are intended to ground you, not shatter your dreams which absolute strangers, quite frankly, aren't capable of doing)
Old 11-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
neverknow,

Some of it will make you appreciate what Indiana has to offer. i2f

this is the part that worries us the most. I remember when I was in the navy 30 yrs ago returning home after going half way around the world. Seeing home again (trees and even corn fields) was amazing.

It's my belief that if and when we decide to return home to Indiana we'll once again appreciate it. It's just living in the same place for 46yrs (except the 4 I was in the navy) we are ready to do something different.

Our hope is that some days will not be a dream come true. In fact we are counting on that otherwise we might not truly enjoy the good days.
Old 11-02-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I don't think anyone is saying not to do it. But your comments about your parents' lives, "..so boring, mow the grass, rake the leaves, watch TV, sleep, eat and wait to die..." do seem a bit disrespectful. They probably are happy with their lives (you'd know that better than I), and may appreciate the little pleasures in life that younger folk are too impatient to notice.

On a boat you may not have to mow and rake, but there will be a lot of other repetitive chores that you find to be just as boring (and a lot more expensive), like refinishing all the brightwork, pumping out your holding tank, upgrading your greywater treatment to meet EPA's new regulations, blah blah.

If anything, I'd say you are thinking right to do it sooner rather than later. As the infirmities of age creep in, you may not be able to try it. After living aboard for a decade, you might actually prefer to "mow the grass, rake the leaves, watch TV, sleep, eat and wait to die."

Funny how so many of us end up repeating the mistakes of our parents!

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-02-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
My daughter grew up aboard our boats from her infancy until adulthood. She didn't choose her parent's life. She's thrilled with the adventure of the big yard and the house with all the appliances that we don't keep aboard. We are continuing with our mundane cruising life that she remembers from her childhood. She may consider that we'll just keep doing the same until we die! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 11-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
My daughter grew up aboard our boats from her infancy until adulthood. She didn't choose her parent's life. She's thrilled with the adventure of the big yard and the house with all the appliances that we don't keep aboard. We are continuing with our mundane cruising life that she remembers from her childhood. She may consider that we'll just keep doing the same until we die! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Guys and gals. keep in mind our comments are just our view of things. We'd never expect anyone else to want to do what we do.

Certainly no disrespect was intended at all. just because we don't wish to do as others do is just a fact, not disrespectful in any way. maybe pointing out that our parents have the rest of their lives set before them seems mean but it's true. Maybe they are 100% happy with the choices they have made maybe not. That is really non of our business. We don't go put them down, in fact we didn't here by pointing out the facts.
Old 11-02-2011

hmmmm...."boring = Uninteresting and tiresome; dull"

The 'Great American Poet', James Russell Lowell wrote, "There is nothing so desperately monotonous as the sea"

I know your intentions weren't to be publicly disrespectful, but by using the terminology aforementioned, you've done just that. And, look how obviously different another man's views are. Opinions are never "facts"....they're just opinions and it's wonderful that we all don't share the same ones. Ironically, your parents may have chosen that life so they "wouldn't be far from the kids"? Anyway, on to my real question; what does a parent do/think/feel when cruising? I'm not asking the parents that have their kids with them, but the ones that "leave" their kids, which lots of times means grandchildren, "behind"?