Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I've been thinking about living on my boat for some time, and it would be a good one to live on for one person...or a compatible couple. I wonder though sometimes about people living on their boats, having relationships with people that don't live on boats...primarily of the opposite sex. I know there are women that live on boats, but as far as I can tell not in the numbers that men are in. There are a couple live aboard men close to my boat, and I've seen them with ladies a few times, but I wonder how women in general think about men that live on boats. I've been in and out of relationships with women over the years like most other men, but some how I think those relationships would be farther apart once women find out I live on a boat and not a mega-yacht. Naturally I wouldn't be happy with a woman that expected the mega-yacht life, but it would be nice to know as a man I wouldn't end up spending a life alone forever. Am I making any sense to anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
In a sense you're asking the wrong audience, because any women here who would read your post are already interested in boats

Seriously, though, the fallacy may be in trying to generalize what "women" do/want/like. Each one you meet is a separate individual, and it'll only take one to make your life work. There is a truism that women are the primary maintainers of social relationships...I've found it easier to form friendships in the boat community than I ever did living on land. If you show her you're a normal guy who's living on a boat because you love it and are having a great adventure, you may have better luck than if she thinks you're living on a boat because you're a misfit rebel dropout, or too broke to afford a house or apt. Just my ramblings, if it doesn't make sense blame it on the fact that I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.
DavidB.UK and elspru like this.
Old 10-01-2010

akin_alan is on a distinguished road
Boat has the advantage of not getting woke up by the police in the parking lot outside the gym. It is better than the car for sure.

I think it compares to being on a farm. At the end of the day its a place where you can rest your eye's far off in the distance. Second to not being a slave to the lender, being able to go the distance where my eyes behold is my favorite freedom.
elspru likes this.
Old 10-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, living on a boat would weed out quite a few women...whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.

A lot depends on what the boat you're living on looks like. If you're living on a West Wight Potter 16, that's one thing... if you're living on an Atlantic 55 catamaran, that's another.

A lot depends on what condition you keep the boat in. Is it Bristol shape and ready to set sail, or does it have the decks cluttered with random crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I've been thinking about living on my boat for some time, and it would be a good one to live on for one person...or a compatible couple. I wonder though sometimes about people living on their boats, having relationships with people that don't live on boats...primarily of the opposite sex. I know there are women that live on boats, but as far as I can tell not in the numbers that men are in. There are a couple live aboard men close to my boat, and I've seen them with ladies a few times, but I wonder how women in general think about men that live on boats. I've been in and out of relationships with women over the years like most other men, but some how I think those relationships would be farther apart once women find out I live on a boat and not a mega-yacht. Naturally I wouldn't be happy with a woman that expected the mega-yacht life, but it would be nice to know as a man I wouldn't end up spending a life alone forever. Am I making any sense to anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-01-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
one advantage of dating a landlubber gal is that you can often use her garage as a shop oh, and her laundry room

i have most the amenities of another form of dwelling (the ones i want anyway), and can swim, fish, have general fun in the sun and am a good cook. if someone doesnt like it, they are always free to go...
some chicks dig it and some dont... thats why they make chocolate and vanilla

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-01-2010

vintageray is on a distinguished road
I'll be moving over to NC to work on the boat, probably in February. I'm searching for a boatyard that is live aboard friendly. It's just my dog and I and I can't see paying two rents when I only need to be in one place and will be working on the boat pretty constantly. The boat is tied up just north of Myrtle Beach now.
Old 10-01-2010
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
In a sense you're asking the wrong audience, because any women here who would read your post are already interested in boats

Seriously, though, the fallacy may be in trying to generalize what "women" do/want/like. Each one you meet is a separate individual, and it'll only take one to make your life work. There is a truism that women are the primary maintainers of social relationships...I've found it easier to form friendships in the boat community than I ever did living on land. If you show her you're a normal guy who's living on a boat because you love it and are having a great adventure, you may have better luck than if she thinks you're living on a boat because you're a misfit rebel dropout, or too broke to afford a house or apt. Just my ramblings, if it doesn't make sense blame it on the fact that I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.
What you've said about being a normal guy that just loves the life style makes total sense to me, so maybe I overly concern myself with my own preconception of what women in general think of men and boats. Good to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 10-01-2010
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Well, living on a boat would weed out quite a few women...whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.

A lot depends on what the boat you're living on looks like. If you're living on a West Wight Potter 16, that's one thing... if you're living on an Atlantic 55 catamaran, that's another.

A lot depends on what condition you keep the boat in. Is it Bristol shape and ready to set sail, or does it have the decks cluttered with random crap?
Another good point Sail. Pride in ownership tells a story of its own.
Old 10-27-2010

cyphers is on a distinguished road
What does living abroad actually mean? I'm confused. Do you work on a boat or just living on a boat?
Old 10-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphers View Post
What does living abroad actually mean? I'm confused. Do you work on a boat or just living on a boat?
Living aboard means your boat is your residence...you don't have a house or an apartment.

Living abroad means you're living in a foreign country.
elspru likes this.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.