Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
I do not think it is deppresing at all, I think it is very inspiring. It was very well written. Bravo.

Jerry

vBulletin Message You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bljones again.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 10-30-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirosailor View Post
I have chased the American Dream for the past 17 years. Finally I felt I had arrived. Big house,beach house,Range Rover,Harley's,Mercedes, etc.Then a $7000 experiment in the form of a Watkins 27 and a visit with Mary (a liveaboard at our marina)changed my insanity. I realized that I was out of breath. Sure I had a stuffstyle but no lifestyle. A consuming fire was lit and I stopped running. That was two years ago. Now I am dwindling away stuff,dettached from material possessions,selling homes,and living aboard part-time at the moment. I have never felt more free! Living aboard is setting yourself free from what everyone else thinks what success looks like. People are broke on all levels and what looks like a fortune most likely is bondage.
Looks like an interesting story, chiro. Are you still doing the same job that brought you the conspicuous consumption, or did you/will you change careers as you transition to living aboard?
Old 10-30-2010

chirosailor is on a distinguished road
I do have the same job right now. I have a Chiropractic practice that I have had a great privledge of serving. As I continue to decrease my needs and debt, I will decrease my need to be at the office and eventually selling out. I still love serving my patients. Right now I stay on the boat 3 days a week. As for the future I may take my skills to other places as a fill in doctor while cruising full time. I would not mind a bit to change jobs. However,I do feel blessed to have a skill that I can use where ever we go. Unfortunately I did not have this revelation before I created the material world I continue to dig out of today. We are getting closer to that cast off. I am just thankful the journey has been altered and the paradigm shifted!
Old 10-30-2010

chirosailor is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately I did not have this revelation until after I created this material world I am digging out of. I still have the same job right now. As I continue to reduce and drop debt, I can reduce my office hours and eventually sell out and cast off. I still love serving my patients and people. I feel blessed to have a skill I can take anywhere, however I am not opposed to change jobs. When a dettachment to materialism and greed has occured your priorities change and options expand. The need for so much income reduces and freedom grows. I am thankful the journey is altered and the paradigm shifted!
Old 11-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
I find myself somedays to be so antzy. Somedays I want to forgo the last year of school I have, sell my car and posessions and just go.. Then I see posters like you and I again regain my grounding. I remain excited to see tommorow, because it brings me one day closer to..
Old 11-02-2010

seanonaboat is on a distinguished road
26 years old. Sold all my ****. Bought a nice Cal 25 and sailing to Mexico with enough money to live for 2 years. Will figure the rest out later.
Old 11-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanonaboat View Post
26 years old. Sold all my ****. Bought a nice Cal 25 and sailing to Mexico with enough money to live for 2 years. Will figure the rest out later.
You sir have moxie. I hope to be close behind you in many regards
Safe seas.
Old 11-14-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this thread Bl ! + 1 Brian ! darn right seanonaboat !
Smak you make me laff (& thats hard to do )

I find myself going in this direction "liveing aboard" & I will get it done anyway I can , Alltho I am of the other side of the coin than 99% of The world . I never have been in debt owned credit cards ect..( only the houses I have owned over the years BUT paid twice the payments 2nd half was on principal only & paid them off early).

Never had a problem getting anything I/we ever wanted just simply save the cash until you could get it ...simple! this includes Bikes airplanes ect...

Times are hard now ( yes I did save plenty over the years) but without going into it wife gone now ( died of cancer & much more to it than that BUT no snivelen now thats not the point) Children grown & one thier own , I got grandyoungins .

Point is got nuthing left but personal Items my Hog & a few bucks saved away now , and the only future I see is on the water/Sea as I dont want to become a wart on my country's arse & homeless ( to old to start completely over again & disabled a lil vet USMC) .

Beside's I never did the water yet ( except westpac cruise's with jet's)but done just about everything else one could imagine in life , and I am likeing it , The Sea "messing around in boats" I can see what Slocum saw . Got nowhere really to go no rush to get anywhere couldnt afford to Pay to "check in" once there anyways ...just going just to go & smell it taste it do it , I get it .. it doesn't matter where just do it .

On the other hand I don't want to be a wart on anyone's else's ( yall) arse either so just going around in circles just off the shore and feeding myself is all I care about , It will take all my life's skills I have gotten along the way to get there& am looking foward to it ...

Anyways BL great thread !

Last edited by HDChopper; 11-14-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2010

scubaaz2001 is on a distinguished road
BL, I agree with you, I was in that same boat 15 years ago my self. It made me a much better person. The experience of trials and tribulations can definatly make ones self alot more aware.
Old 03-11-2011

limeyrock is on a distinguished road
I'm currently preparing to begin my life as a live-aboard and it it because of reason 2. I had been recently starting to doubt my decision, my lunatic plan but reading this thread has given me fresh resolve, thanks bljones.

I live on the Island of Guernsey, which some of you may know as an EVIL TAX HAVEN, but hopefully you know it more as a beautiful and challenging boating destination. I've been referred to as a 'tax dodger' by many an ignorant (UK) mainlander. Ignorant because the only tax dodging here is by the mainland companies who register offices here to increase their profits and ironically, improve the pensions of many of the people who chastise us.

The presence of the banking industry and the mainland workers it brings over has caused the housing prices to steadily climb for years. You can't buy a house for less than £200k (USD 320k) now. For many local people under 35 it is now impossible to secure a mortgage, and financially crippling if you do manage it.

Some go to university in the UK (which we pay for), and then just stay and make a cheaper life there on the mainland. Those that do return, or those like myself who elected to work instead of go to Uni, find themselves with only two choices. Rent or live with your parents. I have been renting (luckily I found somewhere cheap and someone to share the rent with) for the last three years. It's dead money, just gone, I'll never see it again. I'm financially stuck. I can't afford to save if I rent, and I'd need to save a mighty big deposit to consider mortgaging my own property.

It's time for change, I have come up with a plan. A financial escape plan.

I've always liked living and traveling light. I dislike clutter and I take great pride in being able to fix and maintain things myself. I thought about the live-aboard option years ago but for some reason pooh-poohed it as ridiculous. Surely you can't actually do that, just, you know, not have a real home!?

Now I'm spending my weekends looking at boats, looking at boat accessories, consumables, inhaling whole articles, guides, discussion threads, how-tos, don't-dos, weighing up options, talking to brokers, stalking the marinas on the hunt for that perfect beamy sailing boat with a for sale sign hanging off it.

The thing is, berthing fees aren't cheap here. There's only one residential marina and they charge a premium, there's always demand for their berths and they know it, there's no haggling. Factor in that I am going to have to part-finance this boat and pay that off monthly too, it's not much cheaper than renting a single flat, and it's got a lot of downsides.

There's one major upside though. It might not be much cheaper, but it is cheaper. Enough that if I live frugally, spend wisely, repair don't replace, make and don't buy and work some extra hours I can actually save some money and in a few years, instead of having nothing but empty pockets I'll have my own boat, and maybe I'll just kick off and never come back, but it will be on my terms.
elspru and Hopefulliveaboard like this.