Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
BJ, great post. What a wealth of opinions and insight it has spawned. As a kid, one of my best friends lived aboard a 36' catamaran in Marina Del Rey. I spent a lot of time on that boat and with that community of live-aboards. They were there for far more reasons than just two!
A nicer, more tight-knit group I have never met. I often wonder if I will end up living aboard some day. My Catalina 36 would work admirably if pressed into service that way. Like Chiro, I too have aquired more than I need and I am slowly divesting myself of the non-essential items (extra cars, vacation homes, etc.).
What I really long for is to be aboard my boat. I dream of it most of my waking hours. Being happily married, there are others to consider. When my two sons leave the nest I can begin to start spending a night here and there on the boat, slowly increasing the number. Who knows, maybe my wife will like the idea.
I love this thread, as it has gotten me dreaming about it again.

Good luck to all of you, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2011

limeyrock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyrock View Post
I have come up with a plan.
UPDATE: I have enacted said plan!

Jim
S/S Sundance
Guernsey, CI
DavidB.UK and elspru like this.
Old 08-24-2011

kelldog is on a distinguished road
Greetings to all
This is a great thread! I originally moved aboard for #1 ....Then of course the world shifted and I was darn happy to be living on my boat. I have lived on a boat on and off for almost 15 yrs and at the moment I live on Land. WOE is me!!!
My plan was to move to Florida and give myself a year on land to get settled and grow the boat kitty. HaH!!!! Been here 7 months...a few setbacks but I will still pursue my dream/goal to get back on a boat. For me, it's a trimaran. That complicates things abit...x 3
I am starting to reach out to the boating community/marina's to meet people and perhaps get some crewing time in. I am competent and outgoing...Not advertising here but I have never found anything quite as good as being on a boat and being on the ocean.
Keep dreaming...reaching...aspiring! follow the learning curve and grow...you will not regret it.

Kelldog.

Last edited by kelldog; 08-26-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Corrected opening statement
Old 08-25-2011

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
Wow, this was an interesting thread.... I would like to deal with the folks that liveaboard for the right reasons. I.E. they love love sailing. If you are destitute, then change your life, and choose this because it works for you instead of it being a lack of other viable options. Ask yourself, do you want to be here or do you HAVE to be here. I'm guessing there's a lot of 2 year wonders.
Old 08-26-2011

kelldog is on a distinguished road
Most of the people who are "destitute" and living on boats in a marina do not have the ability to actually use the boat for it's intended purpose. Hard to really determine if they like sailing or not until you ask them and then that might lead to a good experience for them. The ocean is a bit like sushi for some...the first time you try it...it seems a bit strange. It grows on you though and next thing you know you find yourself with a strange craving for it. Now where is my wasabi?!?
elspru likes this.
Old 08-26-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Excellent post bl.

I would fall under category #2. Fresh out of college, I got a good job in SF bay area. With a family to support, rents are impossible to the point of being ridiculous here. So when the inspiration hit, we jumped aboard. It is not easy, we are broke since we did make mistakes and acted as the good "consumers" we were convinced to be. Even when we were moving aboard, we were planning all the refitting we would do on our boat. Although broke, there was always a plan to spend more so any extra that found it's way to our wallet had a way of quickly escaping. I can't buy a windlass for my boat so I haul that heavy anchor myself, my sails are old and baggy, can't afford to fix those rotten bulkheads, have no electronic gadgetry for navigation, can't afford a dinghy, etc... but I do get out to sail, frequently. A mountain of debt right now, slowly eroding. Looking forward to the day we feel really free. Above all, I feel content and happy that I now think differently, live differently and that I now have a way out of all this. A way that I don't just have to suffer through but I can actually enjoy my today.
Old 08-26-2011

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
Hey, sorry if I came across a bit jaded guys. That was totally not my intention. I live in a campervan 6months a year until I get my liveaboard. As a full-time skydiving instructor, I've seen to many people jump into the "lifestyle " for the wrong reasons and they rarely last. Not a judgment, just an observation. If it works for ya Godspeed. I just rarely see longevity without a true passion for something less than mainstream. I apologize if I offended anyone
Old 08-27-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Good on ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-27-2011
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
I don't have many regrets but one I do have is letting my dad talk me out of buying a small, cheap boat to liveaboard and learn on when I was 20. I wanted to live aboard because I couldn't afford much in the way of house so I was a bit in category 2, but I wanted to not only sail but to see just what I was capable of doing on my own. Dad made perfect sense and I listened to him but I can't help but think how farther along I'd be now if I hadn't taken the "safer" course".

I do know that if one of my kids ever said they wanted to live on a boat, my response would be quite different from my dad's. Learning to be resourceful is always a good thing.
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 08-27-2011

cahow is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter if your rich or poor as long as you have money.

Stay Cool,

Michael