Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
BL you are absolutely right and I am as guilty as anyone else on here. As someone who's a bit opinionated, we never walked in your shoes. It sounds like you did best you could with what you had to work with. It got you into the lifestyle and congrats dude. That's what matters. There are skeptics and honestly, people who liveaboard for a lack of options. I've seen essentially floating ghettos on Oahu that never leave moorings. You are the exception . You persevered and sail. Nice!
Steady Hand likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
What started off with #1 or #2 sure became a study of infinite decimal variations.As it should be.Even when I had no money I was never broke. I was independent and resourceful .Depends on viewpoint to turn your crank.I quit a teaching 'career' (only 2 months off in summer) to build a sailboat Took 5 years of dumpster diving and demo ing old houses and ware houses and 12 thou (mostly old batteries and beer bottles) and I went back teaching one year to buy sails and again two years later to pay for an engine .I spent years sailing and trading canned salmon for stuff. Resourceful. Offers of employment came. I delivered vessels to the Beaufort Sea and worked for oil companies in Alaska and the Canadian arctic but always came back to the boat. People asked Slocum 'Will she pay? 'Well, I can say 'You bet' I sail with interesting people (mostly) in the summer and hang out in Thailand for the winter(Koh Jum) So far it's been a grand adventure but I have no idea how it would have gone if I had married whats her name and bought a house trailer in Clearwater back in '71 It's about the choices we make, eh? Still resourceful in Victoria as the 3 Hour Sail .Look me up if you think we have something in common .Meanwhile remember it's not the boats that are complicated, it's the people .
kelldog and Strait Shooter like this.
Old 10-27-2011

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
The bears two cents worth:
"in the woods
on the farm
in the desert
in the islands
in a rental
downtown"
Try" I live in freedom!" I am in control of my life and how I live it. I and I alone deside the what and how and when of my life and I like it. I respect the rights of others to live their lives the way they see fit and I go my own way. I also take to myself the responcibility of my actions and my values. I do this because I choose to and not because of the actions of others or of a need to prove anything to anyone. I do ask or try to impose my life style or values on anyone else and ask that they do likewise.
This is the life of a FREE man.
ParadiseParrot and DavidB.UK like this.
Old 10-28-2011

estopa is on a distinguished road
Someone needs to send the OP post to those Occupy people to get their butts in gear.
elspru likes this.
1986 Oday 222 #686
Old 10-28-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
wow nice piece bj and a very timely topic as well,the good life isn't over for most americans but theres goin to be some adjustments for sure,btw i still don't like hocky!
Old 10-28-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i wonder if your point of view would have been so readily recieved just a few short years ago
Old 11-01-2011

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Real quick reply to say I plan to be settled in on a boat this time next year, so am absolutely thrilled that I found this forum (and this thread)!
Old 11-01-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
As the years slide by I've wondered if I should buy a house and move ashore. So i bought an ocean view nice vegee garden etc etc.Then comes summer and the house is rented out as I 'm off sailing. Years slide by and I do it again. I'm still living aboard by choice If it weren't for these choices I'd probably be down at the city center looking for cake recipes or building guillotines. Cover your ass is all I can offer.
Old 11-02-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
We are stuck in the corn fields of Indiana for 2 more years waiting for our son to graduate from HS. The plan is to cash out, sell the house, cars and everything and move aboard a boat we don't even own yet.

The plan is set, we have a date. Now that we have a goal with a set date we will do all we can to make it happen. That's the most important part. Setting the date and sticking to it. Otherwise it's just a dream. A dream doesn't have any real actions that can be taken.

We have to admit as we walk around our land all 30 acres of it we are starting to question if going cruising is the right thing to do. All of the sudden the doubt and questions creep in. Should we sell now, what should we keep, what boat to look for...on and on. The thought of a completely different life is scary. Not just different for us but very different from anyone we know.

All we need for inspiration is to look at our parents, now in their mid 70's, retired and living in the typical suburban homes. Their lives are so boring, mow the grass, rake the leaves, watch TV, sleep, eat and wait to die. Oh ask them and they'll say they are busy, but busy doing what? A whole lot of nothing. There is no way we are going to end up like that. One way to make sure is to sell everything and just get out of here.
DavidB.UK and Steady Hand like this.
Old 11-02-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I might suggest you check it out a bit more before you sell, ah .... . everything.
well, at least maybe a year or so, perhaps.

just saying.. . just in case you know, hate it or something ?
oldfurr likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.