Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
We use vacuum bags to store our off-season clothes - the Winter ones that we use maybe three weeks each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipitous View Post
I'm actually looking for some type of iron or travel steamer for use on extended cruising. Anyone come across something that's small, effective, and either uses very little power or works on batteries? I know non-wrinkle fabric would be the best choice, then I wouldn't need anything to get the wrinkles out, but I've got some cotton fabrics which I will need to get the wrinkles out.

Oh, and although I'm sure the first post would be 'wear clothes with wrinkles, no one's going to care', I'm still a little OCD about that and want to see if I have any options.
Anything that uses a resistance load to make heat will be power-intensive. How about seeking out an antique iron from the pre-electricity days - the kind that you heat up on the stove? (BTW, cotton clothing gets clammy in the saltwater environment in a way that you wouldn't believe if you've only sailed in fresh water like the Great Lakes)
Old 11-30-2010

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road
Alright, I'll have to check out my options. Too bad EVERY shirt I own right now is cotton. Looks like my birthday gift next year will be a new wardrobe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2010

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
The bear's two cents worth
You can find those old cast iron irons at antique shops in the states. A lot of people use then for door stops and they will run from $5.00 up depending on condition and size. Don't get too big they get quickly heavy as they get bigger. Also being cast iron they will rust but using steel wool or fine sandpaper can usually clear most of this up and using a good old brown paper bag between the iron and the cloth works too. Be carefull heating the iron up of stove eyes. They are usually solid cast iron and the handle will get very hot if you let it. A pot holder helps. The iron has no temperture control but the learning curve is not to difficult to master here again brown bag will help prevent scorching but be carefull with synthetics.
Old 12-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second Eryka's point about avoiding cotton clothing, especially heavy cotton clothing like jeans. They absorb salt, stay wet forever and are cold and clammy when wet. Wearing them aboard a boat is a good way to start getting hypothermic. Synthetic or wool-based clothing makes a lot more sense than anything cotton on a boat, especially one cruising on saltwater. Good synthetics will dry quickly, absorb less water, be easier to clean and rinse out, are often still warm when wet, and are less likely to attract pests/mold/mildew than organic clothing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
If for some reason you need to get the wrinkles out, Just heat up and use the saucepan.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-02-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I've always preferred natural fabrics so most of my clothing is cotton or wool. Long underwear and socks as well as other technical clothing is generally synthetic. Day-to-day living on the dock is pretty much the same as ashore.

Dinghy runs usually mean some spray so I am more careful about fabric choices in the dinghy. Still, I haven't had any issues with cotton t-shirts -- if it's going to be that wet I wear my foul weather jacket at least anyway. I don't like having a wet butt regardless of the material type so I slow down rather than get wet.

Shoes are the biggest clothing-related storage issue for me, and dress shoes have ended up in the truck. I have a pair of Sperry Topsiders "dress" boat shoes that I can wear even with a suit, but real dress shoes are sometimes necessary for me.

Oh - I use a regular clothes iron plugged into shorepower or I run the generator.

I keep half my suits aboard and the other half in a utility trailer I use for storage. When a suit goes to the dry cleaners I rotate another one from trailer to boat and the clean suit goes in the trailer.

I wouldn't buy all new clothes (unless your looking for an excuse) until you get some experience living aboard and determine what works for you.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
do you have a coffee maker on board? if so, in a pinch i ran a pot of hot water though it and used the carafe full of the heated h20 as an iron. just make sure you dont have gunk on the bottom of it!!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 12-02-2010

Antares36 is on a distinguished road
Light cotton is not bad. I have 2 nice cotton shirts rolled up navy style for going out. I take 3 pair of light shorts, a fresh 5 pack of cotton tees and underwear from wally mart and on pair of clean chinos. A pair of sweats and a chasmere (Yes) sweater (It dries fast and is warm.) is all I need for 6 months. I leave it all in the boat for the next season in the big zip bags. You/we are all going to buy a formal tee shirt from some bar.

Just remember to change your oil naked so you do not get it all over your "Good" duds.
Old 12-02-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
On the topic of which material; The common expression in the hiking and skiing communities is "Cotton Kills." The issue is that cotton attracts and holds moisture. In cold climates, this becomes a liability.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.