Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
BTW, Serendip, welcome to SN, our hailing port is Northport, MI and we still miss the Sweetwater Sea.
Thank you. We've been loving the Great Lakes so far, it will be interesting once we get in the ICW and ocean, dealing with currents and a million other things we've never been introduced to before.

As far as the clothing goes.....I spent about 2 hours on Columbia's website today looking at $500 worth of hiking (boating) gear I could buy (1 fleece, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, pant, shorts, socks, hat), and might get 1 or 2 of them as staples (long sleeve shirt, pants), but I might just resign my warm weather uniform to a bikini, sarong and chamois. That will keep me dry, right? No, really, I'll pack light and versatile clothing that should get me through anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010

So I was also thinking about getting a new fleece or jacket since the one I have (Columbia) is a bit older and apparently didn't do such a great job of keeping me warm or dry on my sail across Lake Michigan. I'm looking for something to go under the shell of my Columbia coat, but also something that would be my everyday go-to if it gets chilly. I've heard a lot of good reviews about Patagonia, and was looking at this item in particular:

Patagonia Women's R1® Regulator Full-Zip Jacket

Anyone have any reviews for this or similar Patagonia items? I ask b/c it's a little more than I was planning to spend, but if this line is as great as everyone says it is, then it might be worth the money. Or any other recommendations for an everyday fleece/jacket that can be worn under a Columbia shell?

Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

Old 12-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Instead of a fleece, I'd look at one of the softshell jackets... Some will integrate with the outer shells like the Bugaboo or Whirlibird jackets used. As warm as fleece, but more wind/waterproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipitous View Post
So I was also thinking about getting a new fleece or jacket since the one I have (Columbia) is a bit older and apparently didn't do such a great job of keeping me warm or dry on my sail across Lake Michigan. I'm looking for something to go under the shell of my Columbia coat, but also something that would be my everyday go-to if it gets chilly. I've heard a lot of good reviews about Patagonia, and was looking at this item in particular:

Anyone have any reviews for this or similar Patagonia items? I ask b/c it's a little more than I was planning to spend, but if this line is as great as everyone says it is, then it might be worth the money. Or any other recommendations for an everyday fleece/jacket that can be worn under a Columbia shell?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-06-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
The one you've picked is really nice (but a tad out of my price range) My everyday go-to is a windblock fleece full-zip jacket from Land's End for <$50. If its really cold I'll be wearing a cotton turtleneck with wool sweater or fleece sweatshirt over, followed by the windblock fleece, with my foulie jacket over that. (Note, everyone says, oh don't do that, you'll sweat and the foulies will trap that and make you wet and cold ... the reality of it is, I've never had a problem because when its cold, I really don't sweat much, ya know?)
Old 12-06-2010
Banned

Quote:
... I might just resign my warm weather uniform to a bikini, sarong and chamois. That will keep me dry, right? No, really, I'll pack light and versatile clothing that should get me through anything.
No joking, we have a tough time finding quick-dry swimsuits; staying in a clammy suit for days on end isn't the kindest thing you can do for your skin. Naked dries faster.
Old 12-06-2010

Quote:
No joking, we have a tough time finding quick-dry swimsuits; staying in a clammy suit for days on end isn't the kindest thing you can do for your skin. Naked dries faster.
I'm planning on bringing 5 swimsuits with me, so hopefully I'll always have a dry one around (unless they never dry?). Although Brittany did write in her blog that it's supposed to be good luck to have a naked woman aboard the boat. (And I don't think my husband would complain about that)

Thanks for the suggestions on the jackets. I looked at Land's End today and they do have a nice selection of wind blocking jackets at a decent price, although a lot of women complained about the fit (too wide in mid-section, too bulky). Maybe I can find a store around to try some on in person. Although the Columbia jacket looks really nice too, totally my style. Now the tough question is would I get it in Mud or Corange.

Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

Old 12-06-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:

IMHO Patagonia rocks. the 'boiler plate' im wearing now (an earlier version of the R1?) Ive had for a decade and its still like new. I also love the Gill stuff, and as mentioned above the gillna.com website has good deals in the clearance section... ie
Gill Marine Closeouts: Women's Coast Sport Jacket Yellow

i also find my black dot snowboarding jacket is pretty versitile as it has 'venting' zippers to help you regulate temp. lol, ive actually worn it to cannonsberg... though i would call it more of a hill than a mountain....

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 12-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2010
Banned

Quote:
I'm planning on bringing 5 swimsuits with me, so hopefully I'll always have a dry one around (unless they never dry?). Although Brittany did write in her blog that it's supposed to be good luck to have a naked woman aboard the boat. (And I don't think my husband would complain about that)

Thanks for the suggestions on the jackets. I looked at Land's End today and they do have a nice selection of wind blocking jackets at a decent price, although a lot of women complained about the fit (too wide in mid-section, too bulky). Maybe I can find a store around to try some on in person. Although the Columbia jacket looks really nice too, totally my style. Now the tough question is would I get it in Mud or Corange.
Would that be Scott & Brittany of Rasmus? (We met them when they came thru Annapolis). And you're exactly right about the Land's End fit - look for the ones that are "princess seamed" or "slim fit" that helps a little, but they're still normally a tad thick in the waist.
Old 12-06-2010
Banned

@QuickMick - I bought Dan a complete set of Gill foulies at the boat show last year and he love love loves that brand! (Me, I'm still in el cheapo A.T.E. stuff)
Old 12-06-2010

Quote:
Would that be Scott & Brittany of Rasmus? (We met them when they came thru Annapolis). And you're exactly right about the Land's End fit - look for the ones that are "princess seamed" or "slim fit" that helps a little, but they're still normally a tad thick in the waist.
Yes, Brittany and Scott of Rasmus. I'm thinking their blog will be really helpful since we'll be traveling the same route as them. I saw the post of them visiting you in Annapolis, they look like nice people, and it looks like you all had a lot of fun that night.

I just googled Land's End locations, and it looks as if they sell it in a Sears right across from where I work. I'll have to try the princess fit seams, as I like my clothes to be more fitted too. QuickMick, I did check out the Gill site too, it's nice to know that there are some clearance items out there b/c it seems like when you throw 'marine' into the name of something it basically triples the price (although I'm sure you all know that). I unfortunately wouldn't be able to get the jacket you recommend b/c they only had sizes 12 and 14 left. But I'll keep an eye out in case they do have anything small enough to fit me. And I really need to get a pair of bibs and would love to get some on clearance. I probably would have ended up with a West Marine pair.

Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa