Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009

Scoopy is on a distinguished road
Some artrhoscopic knee surgery and a troublesome recovery in May/June have kept me away from this site. Happy to see the new entries and participants.

We had a new 135% genoa cut this winter. It's like a new boat: faster, points higher, and a balanced helm. The old genoa was 167% and permanently stretched out of shape. With the draft pocket aft, she didn't point, was slow for the amount of wind, and the weather helm was pretty awful.

We had to make repairs to the keel this Spring. Cracks developed on both sides of the centerboard slot, going up from base of the panel that lines the slot at about 30 degrees from the vertical. Best explanation is that water found its way into (1) glass cloth that was not fully wetted, or (2) glass cloth that did not have all the bubbles rolled out of it, or (3) there wasn't a good bond between layers of cloth when the work stopped one day and then was resumed another. Each winter, the water trapped in the voids froze and "jacked" the crack open -- probably very little at first but then more as more water could get in and freeze. The faults were most likely made when the boat was manufactured. The space between the shell of the keel and the sides of the centerboard slot is only about 6.5 inches. I would be challenging to lay up glass cloth properly in such a confined space. The cracks have been repaired. Whether we were able to fill all the voids by injecting resin filler is unknowable. If water gets in and freezes, the cracks will develop again. Heated storage? Flat electric heating panels in the centerboard slot to keep the keel above freezing? Maybe it will take another 40 years for the cracks to re-develop!

Have looked carefully but we cannot see the registration/hull number on the aft, starboard quarter (below the deck). Has anybody found hull numbers embossed anywhere else on Creekmore 36s?

Does anybody have a rather large collection of lead pigs places against the hull under the bunks in the main cabin? Or did someone put these on board Georgia to correct hull trim and listing as the water tanks emptied and the holding tank (forward, to port, under the stateroom bunk) filled up?

Has anyone found a structural surface that is level (fore and aft, side to side) with respect to the hull?

Enough for now. More later.

Scoopy
"Gerogia"
Creekmore 36 (that measures closer to 37)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2009

John908 is on a distinguished road
Creekmore 45 Carriacou

We have purchased a Creekmore 45 (1983) in Carriacou. It is cutter rigged and will need an overhaul, but is sound. We will be living aboard her when she is ready and plan to sail around the Caribbean based in Carriacou.
She does not have a lifting keel, but has the same hull design of others we have seen pictures of.
We will update as we go.

John & Kathy
Old 09-08-2009

Rubiayat is on a distinguished road
I am having trouble getting pictures to load showing progress on deck work. Even with the comments on this site, I can't seemto get them past my desktop. Any Hints? I finally got all the top skin back on and all the seams fiberglass taped, and am now filling and sanding the entire deck. To Georgia: I have about 500 pounds of lead pigs that I found in the forward starboard storage area under bunk, and in the starboard hanging closet. They came in handy holding down the deck skin when I glued them back on. Also, when I had the boat delivered, I had them level the boat with respect to the cabin sole. On the drawings that I received from Lee Creekmore, the sole is parallel to the waterline. I leveled the boat side to side at three different places, forward of the cabin, forward of the winches in the cockpit and aft of the mizzen base. When I get around to painting the hull (THIS FALL!!) I will set up my laser level to shoot the boot top.
Old 09-08-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiayat View Post
I am having trouble getting pictures to load showing progress on deck work. Even with the comments on this site, I can't seemto get them past my desktop. Any Hints? I finally got all the top skin back on and all the seams fiberglass taped, and am now filling and sanding the entire deck. To Georgia: I have about 500 pounds of lead pigs that I found in the forward starboard storage area under bunk, and in the starboard hanging closet. They came in handy holding down the deck skin when I glued them back on. Also, when I had the boat delivered, I had them level the boat with respect to the cabin sole. On the drawings that I received from Lee Creekmore, the sole is parallel to the waterline. I leveled the boat side to side at three different places, forward of the cabin, forward of the winches in the cockpit and aft of the mizzen base. When I get around to painting the hull (THIS FALL!!) I will set up my laser level to shoot the boot top.
Got to my thread on posting pics in general discussion and see if you can get it worked out.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-16-2009

Rubiayat is on a distinguished road
Rubiayat

Hope the photos come through.

Old 09-17-2009

Creekmore 36 "Georgia"

Your report about lead pigs in your boat suggests that Lee Creekmore provided them for the purpose you used them: to level the boat side to side and fore and aft. I've done a little of this myself.

Most of our pigs are under the berths in the main cabin, amidships. Some are up forward under the starboard berth. The holding tank is under the forward port berth but this is a varying weight.

"Georgia" tends to be down at the stern, probably because she now has a diesel engine. The fresh water tanks are in the forward part of the cockpit seat lockers and this is a lot of weight.

I've not been able to find the hull number of "Georgia." I've looked carefully on the hull aft of the cockpit seat lockers. I noticed recently that on the boat registration papers with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources that a hull number has been entered (probably carried over from year to year for four decades). The number is WSZ065980489. Could this be the number that was given to "Georgia" when the boat was built?

I hope you can solve your picture problem. I would really like to see the work you are doing on the deck.

It is good to know that the cabin sole is parallel with the water line.

Let's keep comparing notes about our boats. I learn something new each time I hear from you.

Best regards,

Scoopy
Old 09-17-2009

J24mark is on a distinguished road
Rubi,

The pictures did not come through, I am anxious to see your creekmore. 'Magic' is still in the planning process with a 'wheel steering' and a 'water heater' are in the works.

'Magic' is stern heavy also. It has a Perkins 4-108 diesel and a 50 gallon fuel cell under the cockpit.
Old 09-17-2009

Very interesting. Our fuel tank is an integral part of the keel structure. Holds about 40 gallons. It located below the engine. The access port (for cleanout) is just forward of the engine. Near the access port are the fuel filler line, the fuel supply line and the fuel return line from the diesel engine.

There is plenty of room under the cockpit floor for a fuel tank, mounted to the hull above and aft of the propeller shaft.

Was your tank added to "Magic" as a substitute for the one in the keel or did your keel not have a built-in tank? Is the filling fitting for your tank in the floor of the cockpit? Mine is on the side deck, port side.

There must have been serious differences in the way Lee Creekmore designed and built 36s. For example mine has a centerboard; yours does not. Otherwise the long keel and rudder attachment look to be the same.

Let's keep the conversation flowing.

Scoopy
Old 09-20-2009

J24mark is on a distinguished road
Well actually the old fuel cell was located where yours was. It is now the bilge and works very well for that purpose. I doubt very seriously ours holds 40 gallons, I could very well see 20 at most. Our fresh water tank is located just in front of the old fuel cell (our bilge).

Ours was transformed at one point, having a modern interior. Also, our chain plates are integrated into the hull with a cutter rig and twin backstays. It is very weird indeed how our boats are different. But they were not made for 'sail away' condition from my understanding. You bought the boat with the intention of customizing the interior and could be a sloop, cutter, or yawl sail plan.
Old 09-20-2009

Creekmore 36 "Georgia"

Interesting to learn about the variations in the design features of the Creekmore 36 hulls, as well as the modifications that owners made after buying their boats.

In order to create a larger main cabin, the cockpit was made smaller and the main cabin extended aft a couple of feet. The cabin house was raised, as well in this aft section. This was done by the Lee Creekmore at the time the boat was built.

I wonder if the mast step had to be moved aft when cutter or yawl rigs were used rather than a sloop rig?

There are storage places on the boat that are difficult to get to. For example, up forward there is storage space under the stateroom bunks between the anchor locker and the storage spaces on either side of the aft end of the forward stateroom bunks. To get at this space, you have to move the mattresses back into the main cabin and then lift a triangular 3 ft hatch board out of the way. There is no ventilation. The bottom of the area is shaped by the deep "V" of the bow. Do you use this space for anything?

Best regards,

Scoopy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.