Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010

bellubentu is on a distinguished road
Hans Christian 43 vs. Liberty 458

Hi all (forgive me for my imperfect English; I'm Italian !! )
I'm looking to buy a boat to make ocean passages and live aboard. Now I'm very indecisive between two boats: an Hans Christian 43 (telstar keel) and a Liberty 458 (also known like Delta 46). The Liberty has the same hull of the Kelly Peterson 46 designed by Doug Peterson and I know the the sailors really like it (the Kelly Peterson).
If someone knows these two boats I'd like know what he thinks about them.
Thank you to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hi Bellubento,

Until recently, we were living and cruising on our Peterson 46. I have only wonderful things to say about the design. They are a safe, fast, comfortable cruiser. I have sailed short handed (my wife and I) or solo in a wide range of weather. Last year I went 2300nm against the wind at an average of 7.3kn.

We have been in quite rough weather and the boat loves it. At anchor, she is stable and quiet, She moves in light breezes, but when the wind picks up, she takes off like a thoroughbred in a steeplechase!

As for comfort, we have the volume to keep , in addition to our personal gear [for 3 people], a diesel genset, high volume water maker, a washing machine, a fridge and a freezer, a huge dry cockpit, 2 seperate anchor wells [with seperate anchor and chain]. Each sink has 'flickmaster pressurized taps etc etc. Exactly like living in an apartment with real sea views!

The main cabin (aft has an almost king size bed)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...a/P8170002.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...a/P8250016.jpg

As for the HC 43, they are also known to be sea kindly and built strongly. We dont like the 'pullman' beds as you have to crawl over your partner to get out!

Good luck with it all.
regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I've always liked the KPs. Good looking boats , to me anyway. Not sleak but purposeful. Only ever been on one a couple of times but found the interior most appealing.

The HCs have their fans of course but to me they take the traditional thing too far and end up looking somewhat of a caricature.

Then again teak decks........brrrrrr.....

Hey StAnna.....what was your long term experience with TD maintenance ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-06-2010

Hey mate,
OK, We will have to increase your experience on a KP

I have replaced real decks on my fathers boat once in 35 yrs. This was a properly laid deck - [not on top of anything].

Ours is about 18-20mm on average in thickness and was laid in 2004. Darwin/ top end sun and uv is stronger than down this way, so I will need to re-caulk ours in places so will do the lot. [Next years job]

A bucket of salt water over the deck is good maintenance for a teak deck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2010

bellubentu is on a distinguished road
Ok St. Anna, what you say about KPs is very important for me because I think that it should certainly be considered valid also for the Liberty 458 (same hull, center cockpit layout) but there is a difference because the Liberty has a "full teck deck" just like the Hans Christian !!
Hey tdw,
why do you say that HC seems a caricature ? Don't you think that it simply is an evolution of the excellent "Colin Archer design" ? I certanily agree with you when you say that there is too much teck, but what do you think about seaworthiness of the HC ?
Old 10-07-2010

Bellu
What you are referring to a "full teak" deck is in fact a teak deck layed over (screwed into) a grp deck. This is in both boats. What I was saying was that my deck is thicker than the normal so look for imperfections. The HC' deck is screwed from underneath so to it is expected that there are no screw holes through to the surface. However, a small crack will negate that.

Old 10-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellubentu View Post
Ok St. Anna, what you say about KPs is very important for me because I think that it should certainly be considered valid also for the Liberty 458 (same hull, center cockpit layout) but there is a difference because the Liberty has a "full teck deck" just like the Hans Christian !!
Hey tdw,
why do you say that HC seems a caricature ? Don't you think that it simply is an evolution of the excellent "Colin Archer design" ? I certanily agree with you when you say that there is too much teck, but what do you think about seaworthiness of the HC ?
I don't doubt that the HC is seaworthy, presuming well maintained.

Not sure that I agree with "excellent" Colin Archer design but for me the HC just takes the mock traditional a couple of steps too far. OK so the RS-1 and its descendants are built like brick outhouses but they are as slow as wet weekend in most conditions. It's debateable that a sailing lifeboat is the best starting point for a general purpose cruising yacht.

Have a look at Bob Perry's Baba series. Undeniably traditional in design and sentiment yet to my mind they make a far more sensible choice than the HC and from what I am told they would sail rings around any HC of comparable size. Even then I reckon the upkeep of the timber would be an ongoing nightmare.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Not sure that I agree with "excellent" Colin Archer design but for me the HC just takes the mock traditional a couple of steps too far.

Andy
Wasnt Archer a Qld'er?? , Fitzroy River style? In 1880?

Or do I have my designers all wrong?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.