SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

We did it - We left the dock!

5K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  PorFin 
#1 ·
hey everyone! we did it - we actually left the dock on our around the world cruise! we left chicago sept. 28th and are in lake erie right now, getting ready to transit the erie barge canal!

the sailing community has been so good to us and i just thought i'd share our blog in case any of you who are planning your dreams and not yet 'off the dock' would like to travel with us vicariously!

we are doing it! it does happen, all the time! :)

Windtraveler

fair winds,
brittany

#2 ·
Congratulations!!!!

How exiting this must be. We too plan to leave soon on a great adventure, not all the way around, but at least a ways. It is always great to see people getting to that all important departure date, I hope to get there myself someday. Thank you for giving your blog link!

Bryan

#4 ·
Windtraveller, your leg #2 is a portion of our normal cruising ground as we are seasonal cruisers from Maine to the Bahamas. The Hallberg Rassey is a fine choice for a strong offshore cruiser. Maybe we'll see you guys on the water. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#10 ·
Loved reading all of your journal updates. My friend and I plan on setting sale from Charlevoix next year around August 31st, waiting till I am out of the military next spring. We are planning on sailing through the Great Lakes and down to the Caribbean.

Was wondering if you could fill me in on the following:
1. How is the weather around Montreal, Quebec & as you move north, New Brunswick this time of year? How heavy of gear do you recommend?
2. In general how has the wind been on a daily basis this time of year on the Great Lakes, what kind of mileage are you pulling a day/ week. In your journals it sounds like you are making excellent time.
Don’t want to overwhelm you with questions; just thought I would ask since you are taking a path we plan to in one year. Thanks a bunch.

In your Journal I think you mentioned stopping by Charlevoix, MI. Or at least planning on it. That is my hometown, small world.

Thanks,
Brian

#17 ·
Loved reading all of your journal updates. My friend and I plan on setting sale from Charlevoix next year around August 31st, waiting till I am out of the military next spring. We are planning on sailing through the Great Lakes and down to the Caribbean.
My husband and I are are traveling the same route next year, but leaving Muskegon on August 1st. Looks like we'll be a little bit ahead of you (although I'm sure Charlevoix will be be a stop along the way), and maybe our paths will cross sometime. I'll be logging all of it on our blog (www.mjsailing.com), although the only thing I have on there so far is an introduction. :) I'll make sure to check out your blog too, Brittany, as I'm sure there will definitely some information pertaining to what we'll go through. ;)

#11 ·
Awesome! Your 10 years ahead of me. Just curious about your route. I sail in Lake Erie and met a guy who lives up here in the Summer and then heads to Key West in a Gulfstar 50. Though his route is from Lake Erie to Chicago, then the Illinois Waterway to the Mississippi (though he did say that he is doing a lot of dieseling).

#12 ·
Love the blog, entertaining and looking forward to reading more about your adventure. Will definitely show the Mark Twain quote to my wife! When you guys know when you'll be berthing in NY Harbor, would like to meet up and hear more.

#15 · (Edited)
Just started skimming your blog - lovely job & great writing. Oh, and did I mention best wishes on your stunning adventure? ;) Living on a boat, living in touch with nature, just never gets old. PM me or email me if you get to the Annapolis area before Xmas, we can probably help out with a car and maybe dockage at a friends house.

Our hailing port is Northport, MI, though we haven't been back since 2002 it would be fun to compare Lake Michigan notes.

#16 ·
Hey everyone! thanks so much for the support - okay, now i'll try to address some of your points...
@ Boomer:
1) we are only in Buffalo NY right now, not going through the st. lawrence, but the erie canal (god willing!) we are having engine problems right now (its all on the blog - happy days!) - but i can tell you its cold right now! looking forward to heading south! We have all sorts of heavy gear - are you talking about clothes or sails and stuff? we have a gale sail and all that...and head to toe foulies and boots and the lot.
2) wind has rarely been where we need/want it - so we've been motoring like mad so we can get through the erie before it closes. we've sailed a bit, motorsailed a bit - but mostly been under power. we'll take it easy when we are in warmer waters...but now, the cold is making us MOVE!
Aww...and we were in Charelvoix for a day and a half - LOVE LOVE LOVE that harbor town...you're lucky to call it home! Please keep in touch and good luck with your plan!!
@ W30DF - yeah, the mississippi route was a possibility for us, but you can't sail AT ALL on the river and we wanted to do a nice shake down through the great lakes...it has proven VERY worthwhile as we have (and are still) working out some gnarly kinks. but all good! that is supposed to be a neat trip, as long as you don't get run down by the barges and hit too much debris!
@Boxedup - we will HOPEFULLY be in NY harbor soonish - do you have any recommendations for a slip somewhere that doesn't make me want to poke my eyes out!? we are in buffalo right now with some engine issues, and we'll be here for a few days - but hopefully we'll be in NY city in 10 days or so...let us know - you can email us at windtraveler09@gmail.com. either way, we'd love to meet you!
@ Rockdawg - thanks so much!! We are not sure where we'll be and when, but if and when we get to your 'hood we'd love to meet up for a lunch or dinner! That would be lovely! :)
@ Eryka - you sound like a kindred soul. we love MI, but we never stopped at Northport (we were at Frankfort, just down a ways) thanks for the compliments on the blog - i try to make it entertaining and i love to write (though my writing in these forums suffers!! haha) We will most definitely be in Annapolis before x-mas so that would be awesome! i'll get in touch as the time gets closer...either way, it's always nice to meet fellow cruisers!! oh, and i see you have a blog or site - i'll check that out now.

Thanks again for all the support everyone! We appreciate it!

xo

Brittany (& Scott)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.