SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   We did it - We left the dock! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/68977-we-did-we-left-dock.html)

windtraveler 10-11-2010 04:11 PM

We did it - We left the dock!

hey everyone! we did it - we actually left the dock on our around the world cruise! we left chicago sept. 28th and are in lake erie right now, getting ready to transit the erie barge canal!

the sailing community has been so good to us and i just thought i'd share our blog in case any of you who are planning your dreams and not yet 'off the dock' would like to travel with us vicariously!

we are doing it! it does happen, all the time! :)

Windtraveler

fair winds,
brittany

IslanderGuy 10-11-2010 04:27 PM

Congratulations!!!!

How exiting this must be. We too plan to leave soon on a great adventure, not all the way around, but at least a ways. It is always great to see people getting to that all important departure date, I hope to get there myself someday. Thank you for giving your blog link!

Bryan

buckeyesailor 10-11-2010 04:41 PM

Very kind of you to share your travels with us........
I have some doubt as to when or even If I ever cast off, so thanks for taking us along........

CaptainForce 10-11-2010 04:42 PM

Windtraveller, your leg #2 is a portion of our normal cruising ground as we are seasonal cruisers from Maine to the Bahamas. The Hallberg Rassey is a fine choice for a strong offshore cruiser. Maybe we'll see you guys on the water. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Matvolver 10-11-2010 04:49 PM

awesome! will be reading as much as possible :)

smackdaddy 10-11-2010 05:07 PM

Very cool wind! Congrats to you both.

I'll be keeping up with the blog - but make sure to check back in with tales of derring do!

windtraveler 10-11-2010 05:09 PM

Thanks for the support all! We'd love to meet up with any and all of you if we cross paths! Please keep in touch!

Faster 10-11-2010 05:26 PM

Congrats on achieving your dreams!

TQA 10-11-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
Welcome to the band of travellers who dream by day.

boomer12 10-12-2010 04:02 AM

Loved reading all of your journal updates. My friend and I plan on setting sale from Charlevoix next year around August 31st, waiting till I am out of the military next spring. We are planning on sailing through the Great Lakes and down to the Caribbean.

Was wondering if you could fill me in on the following:
1. How is the weather around Montreal, Quebec & as you move north, New Brunswick this time of year? How heavy of gear do you recommend?
2. In general how has the wind been on a daily basis this time of year on the Great Lakes, what kind of mileage are you pulling a day/ week. In your journals it sounds like you are making excellent time.
Don’t want to overwhelm you with questions; just thought I would ask since you are taking a path we plan to in one year. Thanks a bunch.

In your Journal I think you mentioned stopping by Charlevoix, MI. Or at least planning on it. That is my hometown, small world.

Thanks,
Brian