SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Morgan 41 in freezing water (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/69514-morgan-41-freezing-water.html)

evasion 10-30-2010 11:22 PM

Morgan 41 in freezing water

Last year a Morgan 41 was left without damage in about 3-4 foot of ice in the port of Montreal.

I inspected the hull in and outside water, and there was no damage or flexing.

Was the guy lucky or is it the shape of the hull that helped?

evasion 10-30-2010 11:25 PM

water dept and bubbler

What is the minimum depth needed for a bubbler.

Let say the boat draft is 4 foot, and there is 6-7 feet of water, will it work?

pdqaltair 10-31-2010 08:38 AM

That is fairly normal. I've used them in less.

evasion 10-31-2010 08:46 AM

why I read everywhere that it doesn't work with shallow waters?

Will they still work in 4-5 feet of water?

evasion 10-31-2010 08:52 AM

I will try to post some pictures taken with my cell phone if you are curious.

Even the propeller was in ice. They had hard time remove in mid-january and cut the ice with chain saw then used a huge boom truck to remove the boat for there, port authorithies wanted the boat out of there.

I'm thinking to leave my Morgan OI 41 in water next winter and access to electricity for bubbler is difficult. I know that most of in water storage use bubbler, but what if certain shape of hull and solidity where able to take the load in the ice?

evasion 10-31-2010 08:57 AM

Bubblers with automatic start diesel generator

If a decide to leave my Morgan 41 in water, we have problem with ice for about 60 days here in Montreal region.

Were I can leave the boat secure, about 100-150 from shore, I will not have access to electricity.

Do you think it crazy to think to use a inboard automatic start diesel generator with automatic start bubbler to prevent icing?

I have about 170 gallons of diesel in tanks.

:-)

pdqaltair 10-31-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evasion (Post 661016)
why I read everywhere that it doesn't work with shallow waters?

Will they still work in 4-5 feet of water?

In large part they work by lifting warmer water from below; they work better in deeper water. To work properly in Canada, you may need deeper water; down here, not so much.

tomandchris 10-31-2010 07:42 PM

If you do not bubble her you are living on the edge. If you are 100-150 from shore you also have to worry about the ice when it moves. Pull her if you are not bubbling!

CalebD 10-31-2010 08:28 PM

I am down in NYC in mostly salty water. Very few boats over winter even here without some kind of bubbler mechanism.
It sounds to me like someone is being a bit 'Scottish' or penny wise and pound foolish about not wanting to pay yard fees for the winter.
Good luck with that.
Two words: Ernest Shackleton.

sailingdog 10-31-2010 08:59 PM

Evasion—

As far north as you are, I doubt a bubbler will work well in that shallow an area. Bubblers generally rely on bringing warmer waters up from bottom to prevent freezing. I doubt that the water at 6-7' is much different from that at the surface.