Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003

barnecat is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

hi, i have a 3 1/2? old black tomcat, hes grown up at a little boat yard in northeast and we adopted oneanother a year ago..he now lives for past year, 2 miles away from the boatyard, with a gorgeous waterfront, he is VERY independent has a cat door and does NOT like litter box, he prefers the outdoors. well, we are taking him on his "first" 3 month cruise at end of month to bermuda and west indies..the first time we took him out, the engine freaked him out and he had a silent/still long anxiety attack, we anchored and i returned him home the next day.
hes very outdoorsee, i feel terrible "locking" him up on board and with a crew this time..(hes a bit of a fradey cat and doesnt seem like he particularly cares for men..not my doing.) we are putting up goober nets, hanging a board from stern w/ carpet, will have a kitty life vest..but im not sure what to do about the head..he does not like the box...i researched a bit and everything i find is how to train your cat from the box to the toilet not from outdoors to the toilet, does anyone out there have a cat like this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2004

Katmantoo is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

Experiment with different brands of cat litter if all else fails. After finally settling on IAMs Hairball Remedy for my two cats aboard, all was great - no more ralphing... until I inadvertently changed brands of litter. One of my cats seems to be allergic to the dust of many types. Go figure. They''re still worth it.
Old 08-31-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

All I am reading about is cats getting sick. There are other sides to owning cats aboard.

Best to get them declawed if living around the boat. Otherwise they may exercise claws on your (or others) canvas and bimini tops. I''ve got a bimini with dozens of 2" long scratch holes in it now and a previous 35'' sailboat mainsail and cover clawed. Both times from cats off other boats. Don''t expect skippers to be friendly to your cat if they are causing damage.

One boat I know had a cat that kept spraying their pillows. Another boat leashed their cat to the deck so it wouldn''t jump ship. That cat stranged himself after wrapping the line around a lifeline trying to jump off the boat.

Old 08-31-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

I live on a 30 foot sloop and for a year I had a woman live with me.One day a young girl in the marina found 5 kittens under a trailer.My girlfreind said"please can we have one?"and like a shmuck I said "no we can have two"These were a mere days old and
we had to force feed them with eye droppers.After about six months the two got a little too rambunctious and after I threatened to throw them to the gators, my Aunt gave them to a place that does pet therapy for cancer patients.
Old 09-05-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cats on Board

Myself, my husband and daughter are currently cruising with our cat Jeanie. She is about 8 years old and is a white long haired cat. When we were on land living in our house our cat threw up regularly because she was long haired. And she shed like mad!! So when we moved on board we had to make some changes. We have her fur clipped every couple of months at the groomer. If a groomer is not easily excessable we do it our selves. Gotta be feeling adventurus to do that! She is happier than a lark when her fur is clipped and resembles a miniature Siegfried and Roy white lion. We have been cruising now for four months and she has not had a hair ball yet. Also, she is also much cooler during these summer months. As far as litter- I checked tons of alternate litter choices for cruising and I am more comfortable with the new silica sand litter. It can be a bit costly but you can buy the generic brands at your local grocery and save. This litter also lasts much longer than ordinary clay litter so there is savings in the long run. And if it is stirred frequently there is no odor AT ALL! The part I don''t like is the litter I am constantly sweeping up from her kicking it out of the box.

When it comes to sailing Jeanie does a wonderful job. She has never had a problem with sea sickness (I was worried before taking her on board.. I had heard horror stories about sick cats) and has yet to fall over board- knock on wood. So I would say that it all depends on your cat. Just like people, some love living aboard and some hate it. All I know is on cold nights Jeanie is much better to have at your feet than a hot water bottle!!

Good luck!

Vanessa on Nereus
elspru likes this.
Old 12-11-2004

mollyb is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

We have traveled widely with our cat aboard.
1. We''ve gotten vet statement of health every time we crossed borders - we have never been asked for her papers. (US, all Med basin countries between Spain and Turkey).
2. The EU requires pets to be "chipped" (about $40 to get done in France, more as you go east - we paid $65 in Turkey). No one in EU cared.
3. Get clumping cat litter when you can, further E you go in Med, harder it is to find. Vets almost always carry it. We use Science Diet food, its $$, but cat eats much less and takes up less space. Cat gets a bit of canned tuna in water every other day. Science Diet available as far E as Turkey. We''ll go to Egypt via Levant countries, we''ll see what happens in Syria, et al.
4. Throwing up is usually furballs rather than seasickness. Comb cat daily (esp in hot climes) using a fine toothed comb.

We think that cats make good boat pets.

Fair winds, calm seas, Fred
elspru likes this.
Old 10-09-2005

ladyalred is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

please i need some help ok my kitten was born very i mean very smaller then the rest hes all whait i believe hes siemase but the problem is he cant digest any solid foods as where the others can the others are eating solids foods he chockes and he cant breath can you give me some kind of a answer ty ladyalred
Old 10-09-2005

ladyalred is on a distinguished road
Cats on Board

please i need some help ok my kitten was born very i mean very smaller then the rest hes all whait i believe hes siemase but the problem is he cant digest any solid foods as where the others can the others are eating solids foods he chockes and he cant breath can you give me some kind of a answer ty ladyalred
Old 03-28-2007

staceyneil is on a distinguished road
We also took our Siamese cat cruising for 2 years from maine to South America and back. She was akitten when we left so she really knew no other life and di absolutely fine. Very happy cat.

I do NOT agree with the poster above who recommended declawing the cat. Then how would they climb back aboard (assuming you leave a fat knotted rope, towel, or other "ladder" for them) when the fall overboard?

Daisy once fell overboard in the middle of the night while at anchor in the BVI. Luckily I heard the splash and woke up. We'd tried to train her to use the rope "ladder" but who knows if she would have made it alone? She was swimming up to the bow (not the stern where the "ladder" was) when we got on deck. After that, she slept in the V-berth with our daughter with the door closed at night.

We did not have any trouble with officials anywhere in the Caribbean, South and Central America. We had vet papers but no one except the Bahamas asked to see them. Just check restrictions in advance; your choice of destinations might be limited in some cases.

We loved having Daisy on board with us. I'd highly recommend it, particluarly if you start a kitten off on board.

Kitty litter was the worst part. Hard to find some places, and messy. We kept one of those faux-grass doormats (which we'd originally purchased to try to use in lieu of kitty litter, as we'd heard some cruisers do) in front of the covered litter box. It trapped MOST of the stray litter as she walked across it on her way out.

Stacey
www.sailzora.com
elspru likes this.
Old 11-12-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
For Cat Over Board. Carry a large salmon net... That net that you use to net the large fish (instead of a gaff) or the frantically swimming cat and swing the wet fur ball aboard and give it a fresh water rinse. Wise to keep in the net until you are finished rinsing the poor kitty.
When at anchor; hang thick lines over both sides for the cat to climb quickly out of the water.
The scratching posts. Below deck you can wrap a lower part of the keel step mast in natural fiber line or make fancy mats from that type of line.
Above deck you will find places that you can add the natural fiber line and wrap it tightly for a scratching post.
I would never declaw a cat. It amounts to the same thing as taking off the first joints of your own fingers. So if you declaw your cat, I get to wack your finger tips off at the first joints.
DavidB.UK and elspru like this.

Last edited by Boasun; 11-12-2007 at 10:24 AM.