Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011

windofheaven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste04 View Post
Hey Jeff,
thanks for re-posting that thread!!! We plan to take our cat (a siamese) on our big trip when we''re done with the refit. She''s been out a few times. Basically she''s so attached to us I think it would be WAY more traumatic to let someone else take care of her than to let her move aboard with us. She adapted to living in a VW van 13 years ago as a kitten, hopefully she''ll be cool with the boat.

I think it is VERY interesting how may people taking cats sailing have Siamese or part-Siamese!!!!!! What''s up with that? Is it because people who are aesthetically drawn to sailboats (long, lean, elegant) are also drawn to a Siamese''s similar look? Or is it because Siamese are so adventuresome and smart so people who own them actually consider taking them sailing while most people with other cats don''t? What is it? There''s also a series of kid''s books about a Siamese who goes sailing with his "family".... and there''s the Pink Floyd song with "Lucifer Sam, Siam Cat, Lucifer Sam, Ship''s Cat...." (our late Lynxpoint, Lucy, was named after that song!!

Interesting, though, don''t you think?

Stacey
♪ ♫ ♪ "That cat's something I can't expla-a-ain!" ♫ ♪
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2011
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd chime in anyway (as I've just joined).

DE-CLAWING a cat is horrendous and should be outlawed.
It's an appalling practice.

I have neither moggy nor pouch but I am considering one or the other to join be aboard my new (new to me) yacht for year-round live-aboard.

Its been interesting read up on this thread and this one (about dogs).

it's been interesting to read up pros and cons of each.
I just wonder could a dog be trained to use the on-board toilet?

Another thought, could a dog/cat bed be set up somewhere with a big gimble?

I'm thinking about either a springer/springer sized dog or a Bengal cat.
Bengals (if you've not heard of them) are half Asian leopard cat, half domestic moggy. They are hypo-allergenic btw (my friend has two).
Their behaviour can also be a little more like a dog than a cat, my friend's cats will go for walks with her up into the mountains near her home and go swimming etc

and they are pretty...

But I wonder how happy either animal would be 'living' aboard full time (38-42ft), primarily I will be marina based which I'm sure won't be a problem but I am wondering if I would be being selfish by taking a cat/dog with me on longer voyages.

my life style means that I work from home and so either animal would get plenty of attention. I guess ultimately it depends on the individual animal.

As much as I would love to have either on board I can see it being a tricky decision between one or the other.

But how do you possibly find out if an individual animal is happy at sea?
the only way is to find out but by then it's too late there is already a bond formed...

Hmmm...
Old 09-12-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Our two new Blue Siamese cats (nowadays called Thai cats) are adjusting to our Catalina 309. Our previous cat was all trained in on our vessel, but passed away last winter.

The new cats, Kit and Boo, were introduced to the boat gradually and are doing great. They both tolerate the dinghy, but Boo, the boy, will actually hop in it and talk me into taking him for a ride.

I wrapped the leg that supports our dining table with sisal line, so it's a scratching post.

The litter box is a big, store-bought, covered type, with a translucent lid so they don't feel confined. I used Velcro to attach a collapsible cat tunnel to the opening of the closed box. This eliminates litter tracking by more than 90 per cent. I just made sure they got to play with the tunnel at home before it went on the boat, so they have a positive attitude about it.

Heavy sailing/heeling will make them puke, but otherwise they do well. They quickly found the best napping spots, and prefer the v-berth while underway.

We don't daysail with them, but we wouldn't go on a trip without them. They're leash trained and love to wander around the marina, etc. with us.

I guess the key is to go gradually, and make sure they have everything they need on their first visit to the boat: food, water, cat toy, scratching post, and litter box. Particularly the litter box, as it puts them at ease. They quickly learn that the boat is their vacation home.

Lastly, to each their own, but when underway they are either closed in the cabin or on their tethers.
elspru likes this.
Old 09-12-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
I just wonder could a dog be trained to use the on-board toilet?
Hmmm...
No dog or cat on our boat, but another boater in our marina (not a liveaboard) use to have to make sure he got to land every few hours for his dog. Then he trained the dog to go on a patch of astroturf or something he rigged up in the boat so he could sail farther between poo stops. The dog then had to be re-trained to go on real grass.

Sometimes it might be tricky, but it definitely works. I also imagine some animals, just like people, may not even like being on a boat so you take that chance, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2011
is Awesome!

Thank you Siamese,

If I decide to buy myself a pet for some company it will be after I've bought a boat (live-aboard) and will go with a kitten or puppy so that the boat is home that he/she grows up in.

Scratching posts for a cat is a must to protect sail covering etc

One advantage of a dog to a cat (with the possible exception of a Bengal) is that a dog could come everywhere with me trips out in the car etc

has anybody had experience or can comment on marina based living for any length of time and leaving animals on board whilst you go ashore to go out for a meal in a restaurant, out for the day or do a grocery shop etc

How do animals tend to fare when left on board by themselves?
I'm thinking from a point of view of confined space as opposed to leaving an animal at home for the day?

Or how do animals fare if anchored in a bay and you take the tender to visit the shore for example?
Old 09-12-2011
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
...so he could sail farther between poo stops.

beautifully put!
Old 09-12-2011

micheck is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried the "Robin Lee Graham" litter box solution?

He used two nesting plastic litter boxes with the inner one having small holes drilled in in the bottom; he partially filled the inner box with small river rock gravel; each day he removed the feces and then washed the two pans and a net bag holding the gravel.

Charles
Old 09-12-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
My cats came aboard as kittens and seemed to love the cruising life. I used sand for the litter tray, Stingo's cat cooking fat goes in a tray of marbles, always had some netting over the side and at the rear of the dinghy.

We had an extra line in our tacking checklist "Tack the cat"
From September 12, 2011

Mine did not get seasick though did not like conditions with lots of salt spray.
Old 09-13-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
its all with the individual cat,tiger takes to the boat just fine,last nite i was trying out some brand new sails and hit 7 knots in the outer harbor .heeled over with flat seas tiger dozed on the sette....riley my buddys austrailian shepard was also onboard hes very agile and self tacks in spite of the weather...as darkness aproached they both sat on either side of compainway discussing the days events..cats are great company,tiger is an old stray & all he cares about is hanging with me, eating regular,& not getting lost..if you need a cat go to the pound and get a mature one..they have plenty and the old ones are hard to place
Old 09-16-2011
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure parrots and monkeys are the only acceptable pets on sailing vessels.
DavidB.UK and Agri like this.