Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road
Re: Cats on Board

Cruising cat-lovers: The Monkey's Fist has collected about 20 blog posts about cats on board - check it out. And if you would like to contribute a link, you could add it here or in the comments section on the MoFi site.

Cats on board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Cruising cat-lovers: The Monkey's Fist has collected about 20 blog posts about cats on board - check it out. And if you would like to contribute a link, you could add it here or in the comments section on the MoFi site.

Cats on board
bubba daboatkat is a world renowned boatkat, even a captain( his true name, as only known by the veterinarian and now you all, is capt . dork e fuzzbutt), and has his own fazepoo page...is up to him whether or not he wants to share his opinions on cruising with the world in general, yet....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 02-23-2013
more JOY everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bubba daboatkat is a world renowned boatkat, even a captain( his true name, as only known by the veterinarian and now you all, is capt . dork e fuzzbutt), and has his own fazepoo page...is up to him whether or not he wants to share his opinions on cruising with the world in general, yet....
Here's the link I'm going to add to the Monkey's Fist (with Capt. Fuzzbutt's permission, of course):

bubba daboatkat
zeehag likes this.

Old 02-23-2013
more JOY everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Here's the link I'm going to add to the Monkey's Fist (with Capt. Fuzzbutt's permission, of course):
... it's because of the porthole picture, I should explain.
zeehag likes this.

Old 02-25-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I don't think that many cats have directed people to take them cruising, but some have, it's probably because of the whole not liking water thing.

I am sure the cat would demand freshly caught seafood, at the very least, and I think that is the only reason that any cats have gone to sea.
zeehag likes this.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 02-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2013
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Will my kitty was a little hesitant at first but now seems to have adjust to the idea that boat is home now.

Have been moored in the same place and kitty coming and going as she pleases, the real test will be how she fares when I move the boat to a different spot on the river tomorrow...

Any advice?

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 06-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

have you run the engine with her on board--you may wish to consider making sure she is cool with engine n oise then go....if she stays in deepest part of boat, place a towel under her. if she hides youmay wish to know where--i keep mine leashed. err, tethered during these practices, as he likes to go deep into darkest places to hide from noisey beast ... i can find him by following leash, err, tether...even when not affixed at bitter end----he tows his line around everywhere on boat...when outside i belay his line so he cannot disembark.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 11-28-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road

Dangerous feline parasite at shocking levels in humans

Cats are cute but you could be picking up a parasite from them.

A parasite spread by cats is infecting 1000 new people every day in Britain - about 750,000 a year - according to an official assessment of the risks posed by toxoplasma, which can cause serious illness and has been tentatively linked with schizophrenia and other psychotic disturbances.

Read More at,

Forum List Page

OC

Last edited by piclarke; 01-15-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
have you run the engine with her on board--you may wish to consider making sure she is cool with engine n oise then go....if she stays in deepest part of boat, place a towel under her. if she hides youmay wish to know where--i keep mine leashed. err, tethered during these practices, as he likes to go deep into darkest places to hide from noisey beast ... i can find him by following leash, err, tether...even when not affixed at bitter end----he tows his line around everywhere on boat...when outside i belay his line so he cannot disembark.
My Lucy seams to like it when the engine is running. She come out of her spot and lays on the engine cover. She does not like the sound of the winch. And as she is now turning 16 she tends to like to sleep or when under sail, she is in her taxi. I secure her taxi in the v birth, but there have been occasions the cat and taxi have gone flying. Once when exiting the Cap Cod Canal with 8' chop, 4' apart, bow up 10' then down underwater, she came out from the v birth after and bitch me out good. But she loves to sail.

Lucy is the black tuxedo cat, Ethel passed on a few years ago.

Old 11-28-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with a cat that gets seasick? Our cat does OK when things are benign, but when the seas and wind kick up, so does he. He starts by drooling, and then moves on to vomit, and bowel/bladder evacuations. Not fun, for him or for us.

I think it is, in part, a fear response, but he has always been prone to motion sickness. We've tried giving him gravol and other drugs, but we have to force it down him, and this tends to scare him -- leading to a bad outcome. Besides, I hate to have him drugged.

He does get better the longer he's on the boat. I have hopes that once we move on full-time he'll fully adjust (we tend to go out for 4 to 6 weeks at a time now).

Any suggestions of things I could try?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.