Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013

punchingbag is on a distinguished road
Wink Re:Siamese Cats on Board

As I am in the process of looking for my live aboard I must be honest , I didn't give it a second thought that my Siamese cat Juneau would instantly adapt. Perhaps it is because he acts like a dog. He walks with the dog, is vocal like the dog, sleeps with the dog and wrestles with the dog. I am also not surprised that many have Siamese that live on the water. Perhaps I have made too many assumptions? Lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2013

Shredrick McGnarlson is on a distinguished road
Re: Cats on Board

On leaving a dog in the boat while you leave for a bit....

I have left my friends 70lb pitbull in a 28 foot boat for about a couple hours while I went to go get a meal. I was pretty nervous about it but came back and everything was still intact! Just had some slobber on the pillows in the v berth. I did put some peanut butter inside a bone so that probably kept her busy for a while.
Old 04-04-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road

Let’s face it a cat is a total waste of perfectly good DNA that could be used on something more useful like grapes or hops and yeast. They won’t even chase a stick. A Cat will usually be found skulking under stationary cars looking all innocent when in fact what they are doing is sawing through your brake pipes. Have a cat aboard your boat and anything that goes wrong is down to the hairy Ninja saboteur. You never own a cat; they own you and they have got no concerns when it comes to selling you out at the first opportunity. Leave the critter alone on your boat and if “Billy the Burglar” in the stripped tee shirts and mask come calling what does the fur ball do? Shows its teeth or makes a noise? No, it either ignores them or shows them where you keep your prized possessions. Even if Billy does not come calling with his jemmy leave the fur ball alone for too long and it will be putting posters up and holding an open sale of your worldly goods. A cat will always think it know better than you, you can see it in their sly, scheming eyes. Do a bit of maintenance here and there and although they are pretending to be totally disinterested, that one eye he has on you is thinking “That’s all wrong, it will never work”. You can also tell a cat lives aboard a boat. It smells as if Grandma Mable’s has eaten the world’s supply of asparagus and her colostomy bag has burst. Now don’t get me wrong, I am a modern-day man and can show my emotions. Just like the next man I like to stroke the occasional ***** but a cat as a companion on a boat! I would rather have Charles Manson in charge of sharpening the ship knifes whilst I slept soundly in my bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpjr View Post
All I am reading about is cats getting sick. There are other sides to owning cats aboard.

Best to get them declawed if living around the boat. Otherwise they may exercise claws on your (or others) canvas and bimini tops. I''ve got a bimini with dozens of 2" long scratch holes in it now and a previous 35'' sailboat mainsail and cover clawed. Both times from cats off other boats. Don''t expect skippers to be friendly to your cat if they are causing damage.

One boat I know had a cat that kept spraying their pillows. Another boat leashed their cat to the deck so it wouldn''t jump ship. That cat stranged himself after wrapping the line around a lifeline trying to jump off the boat.

excuse me , but this is the stupidest cat hating writing i have ever e°read.

NEVER declaw your cat on a boat. makes em not able to reboard when falling over. not to mention, declawing is actually a knuckle-ectomy and removes cats ability to groom and save self. you do it to yourself then try it on gato.
never leave cat leashed when you are gone.
cats learn faster than dogs when you need to teach em stuff. mine is trained well. he fell ob once but he has better respect for he boat and what is under it. he knows it is bad there..
leave lines over for cat to reboard.... teach cat where to go to climb back onto boat.
taking a cat on board is like taking a human never boated onto a boat ..and most folks thing a cat is gonna self train.,.lol... teach well your cat or dont have it...same with dogs.
at least a cat is a good early warning for strangers approaching and they kill things that land on boat, like seagulls and gekkos and stuff....and keep mice at bay. dont think there are no longer mice and rats in marinas and thereabouts..lol... have fun being evile you haters out there...lol

mebbe if you understood cats you might not be so rude and evile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 04-04-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2014

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Stupid thats the name of my cat, has already used up 3 of his 9 lives by going overboard. He really is not very graceful. He is not good crew, lazy,( thinks he can sleep on my chest when I nap), never takes time at the helm. he complains for 15 or 20 mins when he hears the electronics go on, and thinks he should be able to drink from the head sink after he hears the water pump kick on. We rescued him on his last day at the shelter so I doubt anyone else would want him. He won't stand if taken to land, he will just lay there and whine like someone is killing him if put on solid ground. They say" black cats are lucky aboard" well who ever said that never tripped over one in the middle of the night when they heard a horn go off. I've accepted the fact he will remain crew until he uses up the remaining 6 lives and at the rate hes going, it only means I'll need to feed him 6 or 7 more years.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.