Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010

bornagainsailor is on a distinguished road
I can address the wine glass conundrum. Several years ago, I purchased for home use stainless steel wine glasses from "After 5" catalog since glass goblets broke at an alarming rate. They also work well aboard my sloop. The wine stays cooler longer, breakage is a non-issue and in the event of a religious emergency, a stainless steel wine glass can double as a chalice.
UG
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Boy, my experience is different.

We have Corelle. Well, we have two plates left of corelle! Kids broke the rest. I think they are ok and I would consider buying again, but we actually bought the nice West Marine "plastic" plates. Not the cheap looking stuff, the stuff with nice designs on it that is very nautical. I always said it was a waste of money to get non-skid plates. Well, I kinda take that back and kind don't.

As seen above, we eat a lot on the outside table. It is all fiberglass and is very slick with corelle. We much prefer the nice plastic ones for that purpose. If you eat at all underway (and sometimes at the dock when the idiots come zooming by in the no wake zone), you will need something with non-skid. Now... here is the caveat: You don't have to buy the non-skid plates. Just go to Home Depot and get that rug-runner non-skid stuff. It works even better than the non-skid on those plates. For those of you that use corelle, if you cut it up in 6x6(ish) squares and layer it between your plates in teh cabinets, you will find that they tend to stay in there when you open the cabinet underway. The nonskid is also a great product for wrapping around wine bottles and other things to keep them from breaking. It is a good, cheap product to have on a boat and has lots of uses. Rumor has it that you can even build Lego projects on it while under way... but I would have to put my 6&10 yo experts on to verify!!

They make plastic coffee cups that go with the dinnerware sets. I hate them. I refuse to drink my coffee out of plastic. I will move aboard land first. So we buy regular old ceramaic coffee cups. Since 2006, we have only broken two. And when they break, it really is not that bad (unless the coffee is still in them). They are suprisingly tough, as is all ceramic stuff and is a good option for cruisers that dont like the nautical plastic plates OR want to save some money. Again, just buy the non-skid.

As for drinking glasses, we primarily use plastic... nice plastic, but plastic. You can get some pretty nice stuff at Target. We use regular silverware. There are a few exceptions: we do have a couple of plastic wine glasses, but they are more for going in the dink or something where they are very likely to get broken or left behind. We primarily drink wine out of crystal or glass wine glasses. To me, it is hard to enjoy a nice bottle of wine in a plastic glass... no matter how "crystal" it looks. We have broken two wine glasses since 2006. We also hang these in a display cabinet and typically will put a flour sack towel to keep them from breaking. But unless we are making a long passage, we don't worry about it. We have never had one break in the cabinet.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-09-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
I just find plastic is plastic! As kids on holiday camping or caravaning we always used melamine plates.Even when occasionally back packing there is something nice about a pot mug full of tea or coffee. Quite like the old enamelware as well.
Old 12-10-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
I just find plastic is plastic! As kids on holiday camping or caravaning we always used melamine plates.Even when occasionally back packing there is something nice about a pot mug full of tea or coffee. Quite like the old enamelware as well.
Ok, we'll keep a few Corelle or even plastic for passage making, but keep some glassware, even crystal and fine china plates for when you get where you are heading. Store them well as its been our experience, the storage is what breaks them, not the handling.

Old 12-10-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
As I write we are on a mooring in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, and an ocean swell is coming in and even though we are stowed for sea plastic glasses and plates are flying off the shelves...

It wasn't this bad in a F9 gale so we will probably go to sea.

If it don't bounce it should not be on a sailboat! And that includes the framed pics of the kids which are all have plastic fronts.
Old 12-13-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I use Corelle dishes on my boat. I bought one of the full sets of 4 place settings, which includes some ceramic mugs. Haven't broken any yet, but I also haven't subjected them to any forces that could break them... none have fallen on the floor. These also have the advantage of being oven safe, which is a big plus because I don't have any ovenware. Sadly, I do not currently have any wine glasses, so I drink my wine out of either a mug or a solo cup. I think I might invest in some fairly thick stemless wine glasses. This website talks about some good ones: Boat Wine Glasses | The Boat Galley

I'm still looking for a good martini glass. I think I might go with a stemless one of those too, or maybe stainless (or stainless AND stemless, to deal with the top-heavy problem inherent in martini glasses). I need my martinis.
Old 12-13-2010

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Glass and china
1 breakage in 3 years (full time cruising). Unfortunately Baccarat crystal, but it would probably have happened at home.
It got a burial at sea. I am very against litter and pollution, but a glass from 1932 deserved to end its days as a home for some sea creature.
Old 12-13-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
aha ... I'm a fan of a cup of tea from an enamel mug as well ... I wonder why ... maybe the memory of the sheer pleasure of a cup of billy tea brewed on a camp fire ... still and all most people cannot make tea to save their lives ... shame really.

Honestly some of the replies in here have been pretty daft. I've done more damage to my sails in the six years of owning the Womboat than I have to our wine glasses so I'll live with the cost of a couple of wine glasses and you can all go and get knotted.

While it may be true that the company is more important than the wine when I am with my beloved on our boat we take pleasure from good wine from good glasses when conditions are suitable. An anchorage that is as rolly as a force nine gale is not , if you'll pardon me stating the bleeding obvious, conditions I would count as suitable.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-13-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Corelle is great stuff...but when it breaks, it really sucks..."
Don't you wish. Corelle never "breaks" but if you manage to drop it so a stress line hits something hard, the damned stuff explodes like a grenade. I've only done that once in all the years (30 odd?) I'd eaten off it and that was one bowl dropped on a vinyl-over-wood fairly gentle floor.
But it went off like a bomb.

I don't use the Corelle mugs, they were never "muggy" enough for me, so over the years I've lost a few mainly novelty mugs of different kinds, heavy porcelain or whitewear. But I've also got a couple of double-walled stainless steel mugs, and I love the way they leave no sweat rings and keep a cold drink COLD.

"Dear Santa: Titanium double-wall mugs would make the boat faster and lighter, and that's always a good thing."
Old 12-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, Corelle is tempered glass and should not be used with serrated knives, which can damage the surface and leave them prone to shattering dramatically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Corelle is great stuff...but when it breaks, it really sucks..."
Don't you wish. Corelle never "breaks" but if you manage to drop it so a stress line hits something hard, the damned stuff explodes like a grenade. I've only done that once in all the years (30 odd?) I'd eaten off it and that was one bowl dropped on a vinyl-over-wood fairly gentle floor.
But it went off like a bomb.

I don't use the Corelle mugs, they were never "muggy" enough for me, so over the years I've lost a few mainly novelty mugs of different kinds, heavy porcelain or whitewear. But I've also got a couple of double-walled stainless steel mugs, and I love the way they leave no sweat rings and keep a cold drink COLD.

"Dear Santa: Titanium double-wall mugs would make the boat faster and lighter, and that's always a good thing."

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.