SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   under Under $5k a year possible on Chesapeake Bay? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/70677-under-under-%245k-year-possible-chesapeake-bay.html)

deniseO30 12-15-2010 03:06 PM

under Under $5k a year possible on Chesapeake Bay?

Year round or live aboard? I like the eastern shore myself.

sailingdog 12-15-2010 03:32 PM

What do you mean by $5k per year? Are you talking total costs—slip/mooring fees, insurance, etc.—or just mooring/slip fees?

deniseO30 12-15-2010 04:25 PM

5k or less for the all the costs related to a marina year round or live aboard

kd3pc 12-15-2010 04:30 PM

should be doable on the Northern Neck...maybe eastern shore of VA...haven't looked at long term over there in a while...

sailingdog 12-15-2010 04:31 PM

Assuming this is for your O'Doomsday 30....yeah, I think you should be able to do so, especially if you're willing to be on a mooring. Getting a slip for that will be a bit more difficult, but probably doable still.

zz4gta 12-15-2010 04:34 PM

Might want to try Calvert marina on Solomon's, they've always been really cheap with me.

Jeff_H 12-15-2010 05:01 PM

I would think that you should be able to keep a 30 foot boat for less than $5k on the Chesapeake, especially if you are willing to keep her at a private dock, but you might even be able to keep a 30 footer at a marina without a lot of amenities in Annapolis for less than that. It may be harder to do if you are a liveaboard since many private docks and smaller marinas do not permit liveaboards.

For the most part, I kept my boats at private docks for nearly free for the first 20 years I lived in Annapolis. I now keep my boat at a dock at my house, but the most expensive slip at my dock (42 feet) is only $3,000 a year, which was set after talking to neighbors. I can ask around if you wish.

Jeff

Sailormon6 12-15-2010 05:38 PM

You could keep a 30' boat at my marina, on the western shore, for substantially less than $5000 per year, including electric and water, slip rent, one annual haulout and launch, and winter storage on the hard.

JimMcGee 12-15-2010 05:47 PM

Denise,
Check Craig's list. When I had a contract pending in DC two years ago I found a bunch of places where I could live aboard for those dollars from Baltimore to just south of Annapolis. Several were houses renting out their docks the way some people rent rooms. There are a bunch of places around Kent Narrows too.

I'd think you'd want a dock over a mooring. It would be a pretty cold dinghy ride this week, especially getting home from work after dark...

If you want I'll check to see if I saved some of the emails from when I was looking. It's a shame the contract never came through. Getting paid to live in Annapolis for a year sounded pretty good.

Jim

RichH 12-15-2010 06:07 PM

$5k per/yr. is more than doable on the upper bay eastern shore.
Figure $2500-2800 for summer slip, $1000-1500 for winter (not including electric), spring haulout + maintenance @$1k. Yup, $5000 for a commercial marina. Less than that if you can negotiate for a private slip.

I know of a person who simply anchored out in Back Creek Annapolis all winter ... can you break ice with your dinghy oars?