SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Liveaboard families w/small children, under 37'? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/70766-liveaboard-families-w-small-children-under-37-a.html)

liveaboarddreams 12-20-2010 04:57 AM

Liveaboard families w/small children, under 37'?

Hello,
I'm curious to hear from liveaboard families with young children on boats under 37'. I'm not looking for arguments as to why it's a bad idea - have read the thread on interior arrangements for families with children and understand the argument that kids need privacy, space especially as they grow older.

What I'm looking for are thoughts and viewpoints from families who have done it contrary to conventional wisdom and how they did it while addressing their children's needs.

Thanks in advance!

CaptainForce 12-20-2010 07:06 AM

You'll notice that I had responded to your question on another forum. Here, I looked at your site and saw that you had visited our friends Justin & Jenny. All of our times raising children aboard were in Florida. I'm sure there are added challenges in the Northeast. While our children were with us we lived at four different marinas. Finally, staying at one that was more "child friendly",- grassy safe play areas and other children living aboard. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

MSter 05-22-2011 08:05 AM

I know this is an old post, but a 37 ft child is just ridiculous! :-P

MARC2012 05-22-2011 10:48 AM

They are somewhat smaller based on the title.Did have to look at thread though.marc

friendsmily 05-30-2011 11:42 AM

Great question. Not many answers though.

BlkOnyx488 03-11-2013 05:24 PM

Re: Liveaboard families w/small children, under 37'?

@CaptainForce What is the name of the child friendly marina your family lived at. was it also in FL? thanks

Andrew65 09-17-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSter (Post 732834)
I know this is an old post, but a 37 ft child is just ridiculous! :-P

I started to read this post just to see if someone caught that too and was going to write what you wrote..hahaha.

Bravo Mster!

CaptainForce 09-19-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkOnyx488 (Post 1001282)
@CaptainForce What is the name of the child friendly marina your family lived at. was it also in FL? thanks

When our children were young the marina was known as Whitney's Sail Center, but now the name has changed to Fleming Island Marina in Orange Park, Florida, just south of Jacksonville on the St. Johns River,- 'nice neighborhood and good schools. We still take a slip there from Thankgiving through Christmas each year as our children, now in their thirties, are living nearby. There's still some nice play areas for children and an added, well fenced, pool. The river is wide here with plently of sailing opportunity. We currently pay less than $500/month total for a liveaboard rate with 41' boat.

vtsailguy 09-22-2013 09:01 PM

I have pondered this very question
The Best Boat for Cruising with Children | Sailing With Kids

luhtag 03-13-2014 05:30 AM

We have been living aboard with 3 young children for 4 years now. Ours wasn't a 37' but it was a coastal cruising 40 with a quarter berth layout. When the kids are young, under 7, any boat will work. Now that ours are getting older we had to sell and get bigger. But we faired well enough. Sailed a few thousand around Fl and the Bahamas.

When it was time to make a change I offered the land lubber rat race to my wife. She wouldn't hear of it but said that a bigger boat would be nice. So I got her a 50 with 3 staterooms. So far it has been great. Once the kids hit preteen status we'll move ashore temporarily in our hometown. But from my experience, if you want to explore, any boat over 50' will severely limit your travels in said cruising grounds.

A 37 footer should do fine with kids.