Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Smile Movin' on up...

Two weeks ago, I took possession of a Morgan 33 Out Island. This is a big step up from the 27 Catalina I currently own. The 33 is very comfortable, built for ocean cruising, has every imaginable commodity onboard and quite spacious. Yes, I know it's a slow boat, but if I wanted to go fast I would have stuck with power boats.

My plan is to partially retire in 2012. I'll be 72 years old and hopefully, still in relatively good health. If my health doesn't deteriorate, I figure on setting up a light work schedule in Maryland from May through early October, which is essentially most of the summer months. I'm a musician/entertainer by trade, and when I'm not performing, I write magazine articles for local boating and outdoor magazines.

In early October of 2012, the music gear and provisions will be loaded aboard the boat, the sails raised, the a leisurely trip will be made down the ICW, or the Atlantic Coast if the weather allows, to Marathon Key, Florida, where I hope to be playing the dockside Tiki bars during the height of their tourist season, which is November through April.

Naturally, I have planned several side trips to the Dry Tortugas, Bahama Islands, BVI and a few other locations. Might even sail Cozumel for a couple days of fun in the sun and the world's best snorkeling, but I'm hearing rumors that safety is somewhat of an issue there at this time.

Of course, my loving spouse of nearly a half-century thinks I'm completely out of my mind. Who knows, she may be right. Of course, she may also opt to go with me and bask in the tropics for the winter instead of clearing snow from the sidewalk and driveway, which is a killer task most years.

My sailing experience is limited to Chesapeake Bay, and the longest time I've spend as a live aboard was just 10 days while sailing from Perryville, MD to Virginia Beach, VA aboard my Catalina 27. Total sailing experience is just 4 years, all of which has been in the bay. However, I've boated the coastal and offshore waters from Maine to the Marquesses Keys for nearly a half-century.

I'm really not sure if a guy my age should do this. Essentially, I'll be on my own. My wife may, or may not opt to make the ICW trip, and if she does she has a number of health issues which would preclude her from doing much more than steering the boat for a few hours while I catnapped. She has some pretty good navigational skills and guided us winding guts and sloughs behind the Delmarva Peninsula's Barrier Islands--an incredible trip to say the least.

I'm really looking forward to this excursion, but I am a bit apprehensive about such as arduous undertaking at this stage of life. Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Travlineasy, My wife and I lived aboard an OI 33' from 1973 to 1985. What year is your Morgan? I'd share some specifics about the boat and ideas. We've been living on and cruising Morgan Out Islands, mostly in Florida since 1973. There are many opportunities to cruise and live aboard at an older age when you are not encumbered by time schedules and destinations. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-25-2010

The boat is a 1973, in pretty good shape for her age, the engine, Atomic 4, was completely refurbished three years ago. The standing rigging is original, so I'm having it replaced--just to be on the safe side. All of the non-skid has worn off the deck and cabin top, so I'll await warmer weather and redo this as well. The boat was surveyed a few weeks ago, the hull is bone dry, the rudder has a crack down the middle of the leading edge, and there is a bit of moisture in the deck near the chain plates, the starboard side of the mast and another small spot near the bow. I'm having the deck drilled, vacuum dried, epoxy filled, holes sealed with fiberglass and sanded smooth. As for the rudder, it has some moisture in it as well, which will be drilled, vacuum dried, and the leading edge patched with layers of fiberglass matting and roving. Also will likely place a few through-bolts through the rudder with large, stainless fender washers as a precaution. When the boat is hauled next fall, I'll have the rudder removed and have a new one made by an outfit in Florida that specializes in foam-core rudders.

One of the main reasons I selected the OI 33 was the generous amount of living space, and I was told the boat is extremely stable under all points of sail. Not sure about that, though. I know the boat is touted as being somewhat slow, cruising at about 5-knots with favorable winds. Can you tell me anything about the boat's overall performance and whether or not the craft is somewhat forgiving in winds of 15 to 25 knots. I was told by the previous owner that under power I could anticipate about 6 knots with a clean bottom, slightly less under sail.

Gary 8)

Last edited by travlineasy; 12-25-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Travlineasy, 1973 was the year of my former and current Morgan OI. The rudder delamination was common. The original port and starboard halves were epoxied together. Applying a fiberglass tabbing around all the edges will suffice as a temporary solution, but the rebuild, as you mentioned, will do best. I would recommend that the rudder be split amidships for the rebuild and the half that retains the post and metal flanges be used as the template to form the other half with the structural foam an new surface. Be attentive to a few other possible trouble spots. Take a close look at the back up plate for the stemhead fitting from inside the anchor locker. If this aluminum plate is corroded (I've seen some flaking away) replace it. Also, remove the mast boot and look for oygen starved corrosion under the boot tape. Some mast pitting may be found here that might need some care as well as at the aluminum-steel interface at the mast step. I also had the raw water cooled atomic four in my 33', but the engine was on it's last legs in '84 and I replaced it with a small Yanmar within the conditions of my trade for my 41'. I have some sources for the black rubber gasket materials at the rub rail and portlights; however, this is likely nolonger original on your boat. Sure, you've been well-advised that the Morgan OI is not a performance racer, but a strong cruiser that will be well suited as a live-aboard. My wife and two children lived aboard our 33' until the kids were 7 & 9. We took frequent trips to the Bahamas and Keys. Charlie Morgan specifically told me that the purpose in this design was to produce a boat that would motor well for the charter trade. The five knots is a resonable expectation, but the old Atomic Four will likely dissapoint on ocassions amid the big tidal currents and winds. Both my 33' and 41' have had their best speeds under sail, not motoring, but that is with ideal conditions of 20 knots off the quarter in following seas. My Atomic Four died with the corrosion of the water cooling pathways. The best of luck and skill with your new (old) boat. Post any questions specific to your Morgan on the Morgan site on this forum or email me directly. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-26-2010
Butch

rbbaker is on a distinguished road
There is a nice review of a Morgan 30 in the August 09 Practical Sailor. Vol 35 NO 8.
Old 12-26-2010
Butch

Some resources on the Morgans: The MORGAN YACHT CONNECTION and myholeinthewater.com
Old 12-26-2010
Butch

Forget the myholeinthewater - can't find the Morgan restoration now. Must have been removed?
B
Old 12-26-2010

Thanks for the information guys--I'll put it all to good use in the upcoming weeks. At least now I know what to look forward to, which hopefully is sunny skies and smooth sailing. Today, we're preparing for 5 to 10 inches of snow--not something this old sailor likes to prepare for at all.

My Atomic-4, fortunately, is freshwater cooled via mid-size heat exchanger. The Atomic-4 in my Catalina 27 is raw water cooled and has experienced a few minor corrosion problems, but the engine is alive and well.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary
Old 12-26-2010

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I sailed a Morgan 32 (1980) four 5 years in all conditions on Lake Erie and we were very happy with the boat. We managed to get 6.0-6.5 under sail and 5.5-6.0 under power we were very happy with the boat.
I hope you love your Morgan as much as we did.
We sold her and purchased a Bavaria 37 for better sleeping accommodations and were very pleased with sailing and motoring performance, but did not think it was as well built.

We just purchased a CAL 46 that was converted to a CAL 49 (previous owner added 3 feet to the stern. We are having it shipped from CA to Cleveland and plan on taking it to SC and living on it and then sailing the Islands. What are you going to name your Morgan, we will be on the look out for you
Old 12-26-2010

The boat's current name is Saturday's Child. I'll probably rename it as Travlin' Easy, which is the name of my one-man-band. From everything I've been able to discover about the 33 OI they were built like a tank, mainly to withstand the abuse of the charter industry.

There is a Cal 46 at the marina across the river from where my Catalina is berthed and it's a great looking, and sailing boat. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Cal. They have a great reputation in this part of the world and I sincerely believe they build a solid boat.

Good Luck,

Gary