SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Maine Live Aboard

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  boatted9 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Nice. BTW, is dimilios the floating restaurant that Roger Long worked on a while back?

#7 ·
Tim,

I just noticed your post. Congratulations on selling the house, and moving aboard!

Now, if I could only convince my wife...

#8 ·
It is nice to see an article that is positive! Most of the time it is articles about how these miscreant liveaboards are ruining the world. When the bottom line is that it is some developer that wants the space. Seems to be happening in the North West a lot lately. I will be living aboard this spring, and will be doing it year round in New York. I must say it seems that Maine has a real respect for the individual from everything I have read and that is reflected in the tone of the article.

#9 ·
I am a New England live aboard to

I live on a '33 sloop down in Gloucester harbor on Cape Ann. I heat with a propane camp stove and a solid fuel burner. My boat isnt wrapped so I do have to shovel when the boat gets a little low from the weight but I like to keep it on there for insulation. Foraging for firewood is a bit difficult with the four feet of snow about but luckily im slipped up near some boat builders with plenty of hardwood scraps. It seems Im ruffing it a bit more despite the slightly milder climate. Right on to you my fellows chasing the dream!

#11 ·
I live on a '33 sloop down in Gloucester harbor on Cape Ann. I heat with a propane camp stove and a solid fuel burner. My boat isnt wrapped so I do have to shovel when the boat gets a little low from the weight but I like to keep it on there for insulation. Foraging for firewood is a bit difficult with the four feet of snow about but luckily im slipped up near some boat builders with plenty of hardwood scraps. It seems Im ruffing it a bit more despite the slightly milder climate. Right on to you my fellows chasing the dream!
First, a propane camp stove for heat is a good way to get carbon monoxide poisoning and adds a lot of moisture to the interior which will condense out and help cause mold/mildew problems. I hope you have a CO detector aboard, along with a propane fume sniffer.

#14 ·
Hey Tim, it seems we just can't get enough of your advice. We hope you enjoyed your vacation. We missed you for the storm; sat at Dimillos and watched the boat rock. I have been reading about cruising with dogs. Looking forward to some more sailing advice from Shamus.
Your neighbors,
LadySlipperII

#15 ·
Does anyone of you have a Taylor or Dickenson Cabin Heater aboard. I have a Taylor, excellent heater, but I have a clogged fuel line, so I'm not getting a drip. Any suggestions for clearing since I can't run a wire three feet up the tube? It"s a diesel gravity flow, and I've already tried stabilizer but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Ted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.