SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Bahama Live Aboard Marinas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/71481-bahama-live-aboard-marinas.html)

zboss 01-20-2011 07:57 PM

Bahama Live Aboard Marinas

Hi,

I was wondering if there are affordable (everything is relative so entertain me for a minute) live aboard marinas in the Bahamas and the T&C.

The issue being - I work in IT services which means that about 1/2 the time I need to work on-site (3-4 months a year) anywhere the company sends me in the US/Mexico/Canada but the rest of the time I can work from home or not at all. I generally get about 3 months a year when I am not working on a project. The nature of my work requires a decent internet connection, cell phone service, and a relatively close airport so I can be available for work within just a couple of days and/or be available for sales calls.

My wife and I have been putting our cruising plan into action with the intent on moving aboard in the Chesapeake in the spring of 2013 until November of that year or of 2014 (continue working) at which time we would like to sail onto the Bahamas. If I am able to find a slip that fits my needs I will gladly work another year to build out the kitty for a nice long cruise.

BobRivard 01-20-2011 08:30 PM

Live aboard St. Thomas

Can I talk you into St. Thomas? St. John? To begin with a much better cruising ground so close to mainland US cannot be found. St. Thomas is closer
than Chicago. 1,200 miles from NY. It has a modern International Airport.
You can stay in downtown Charlotte Amalie for FREE, a short dinghy ride of course. The Marinas are modern and upscale. You can buy anything for a boat, and have anything fixed. 50 islands within a day or two of cruising.
bob@rivard.net O'day 37, documented, available for sale.
Picasa Web Albums - Bob

labatt 01-20-2011 08:35 PM

The only place I can think of that would meet your Internet needs in the Bahamas and have a reasonable price would be Nassau. Most people don't like the place, but we spent several weeks there and found lots to enjoy. Once you get to understand it, it's a pretty neat place - and it has a lot of comforts. There were a number of liveaboards at the Nassau Harbour Club, and they have decent amenities (including an onsite laundry). Plus, in Nassau, there are numerous wireless Internet options, and you have an easy jump off to the Exumas. Perhaps there's a decent place in the Abacos too? We never visited.

zboss 01-20-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRivard (Post 689101)
Can I talk you into St. Thomas? St. John? To begin with a much better cruising ground so close to mainland US cannot be found. St. Thomas is closer
than Chicago. 1,200 miles from NY. It has a modern International Airport.
You can stay in downtown Charlotte Amalie for FREE, a short dinghy ride of course. The Marinas are modern and upscale. You can buy anything for a boat, and have anything fixed. 50 islands within a day or two of cruising.
bob@rivard.net O'day 37, documented, available for sale.
Picasa Web Albums - Bob

That will eventually be a location to spend a year or two but we wanted to start in someplace not so familiar. My wife and I have spent quite a but of time between there and the BVI.

KindOfBlue 01-20-2011 10:29 PM

Will the Bahamas government clear you in for a year while living and working at a marina? At some point they will probably make you import your boat, which will come with a huge duty. Depending upon the size of the boat, this could be as much as 27% the value.

Minnewaska 01-21-2011 07:00 AM

Couple of random thoughts.

First, I can't stand the big tourist islands of the Bahamas. Nassau and Freeport are gross and outside the resorts, crime is an issue. It's not a war zone, but still.

I do like the Abaco Beach Resort and Marina, but it could add up a bit during the prime season. It is very inexpensive off season, there is also nearly no one there. Been there, done that, not with my boat. People routinely come and live on their boats, though rarely for more than a month or two.

I can't recall how long you are permitted to stay in the Bahamas. Look it up, but I think its 6 months. One thing is for sure, the Bahamas do not want anyone other than a citizen working there, with few exceptions. I understand you will be working on the internet, but I would keep that entirely to myself!

Finally, I do agree with a poster above, the Virgin Islands would be far superior cruising grounds. Most will point to shallow waters as the prime issue for cruising the Bahamas, but I think that is manageable. The much larger issue is that once you're on a given island, there isn't really anywhere to day sail. The BVIs and USVIs always have an anchorage on another island that can be reached in a couple of hours. Sometimes less.

bcarli 01-21-2011 07:47 AM

we have sailed the Bahamas and are now in the Caribbean...can't beat the virgin islands

zboss 11-15-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Bahama Live Aboard Marinas

Hello,

Reviving my old thread.

So, my wife has decided that she would be willing to change jobs rather than quit her job... which is great because it allows us to save for the cruising kitty a lot faster. I can work from anywhere in the world that has a wi-fi and an international airport. Originally, she was quitting and I was to keep working while we lived somewhere cool.

So - now we are thinking we would like to find a good liveaboard with fantastic facilities on the east coast of the US with "easy" access to the Bahamas for long weekends and whatnot. Maybe Charleston? Looking for options here....

also - if anyone knows of a marina looking for an accomplished event manager, HOA and Condo Manager my wife is now open!

boatpoker 11-15-2012 09:33 PM

Ocean Reef Yacht Club. Grand Bahama between Freeport and Lucaya. dirt cheap and great facility. If you look closely in the photo album on their website you will see the boat pictured in my avatar.

Turandot 03-05-2013 10:00 PM

York Haven Marina is where I live it's in Poquoson, VA. If you sail here keep close to the markers and main channel Poquoson Flats run out about two and a half miles from shore and it goes from 14' to 4' in about a boat's length. This marina can handle boats up to 65', its older but the wifi works and the laundry is free. Look me up if you pull in I have the wood masts.