Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road
Sail from OK to CA

Is there any way to sail/motor from Oklahoma (Arkansas river-R. S. Kerr lake) to S. California, eastern seaboard, on the ICW without taking the Panama Canal or the Horn? Even going along the gulf coast is fine, I'd just like to stay on U.S. 'soil,' so to speak.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
You have several choices:
1. Via the Panama Canal.
2. Around the Horn where you will be going against the Ocean currents
3. Take Eastern route around south africa, turning left just pass Austrailia, Going by the south Pacific Islands.
4. The Northern route over the top of N. America when the Arctic Ocean is ice free somewhat. Only a few hardy people have gone this route.
5. Have your vessel trucked there

1~3 could be an adventure of your life.
4. May be an adventure or an Ordeal.
5.? No adventure, but your boat gets there in the shortest time. With a boring road trip.

Now it is up to you to decide... Adventure or a boring road trip?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 01-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace2 View Post
Is there any way to sail/motor from Oklahoma (Arkansas river-R. S. Kerr lake) to S. California, eastern seaboard, on the ICW without taking the Panama Canal or the Horn? Even going along the gulf coast is fine, I'd just like to stay on U.S. 'soil,' so to speak.

Thanks.
If you looked at a map, you'd see that there's a problem called the Rocky Mountains...that is basically in the way... Mexico is also in the way... if you're going the Gulf of Mexico route, which is kind of why it is called the Gulf of Mexico...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-25-2011
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. Thought as much. Oh well, guess it's the Northwest Passage. Always wanted to check out Hudson Bay, anyway. I'm in a '68 Coronado 25, I might wait till I ". . . get a bigger boat."

Old 01-25-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
1) Put the boat on a trailer (w/o a tow vehicle),

2) raise the mast,

3) raise the sails,

4) hold on tight!!!
Old 01-25-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace2 View Post
Thanks guys. Thought as much. Oh well, guess it's the Northwest Passage. Always wanted to check out Hudson Bay, anyway. I'm in a '68 Coronado 25, I might wait till I ". . . get a bigger boat."
Umm...... ya' might want to check with a couple of the Canucks on this board re: the NW Passage being "U.S. 'soil', so to speak", eh?
Old 01-25-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you looked at a map, you'd see that there's a problem called the Rocky Mountains...that is basically in the way...
That didn't stop Lewis and Clark from taking a nearly all water route .... over 200 years ago!!! They just had to get out and walk a bit at the continental divide. Might be a dam or two in the way now though.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy

Last edited by Izzy1414; 01-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
With an 8' beam and a displacement of 4500 pounds plus trailer and stuff onboard, looks like you could pull it with a full size pickup truck. Get a galvanized trailer with brakes on both axels so you can take the boat home and save docking and storage fees. California is going to be expensive compared to OK. There are several sailboat trailers in the $1500 to $3200 range on ebay. Start with automotive, then trailers, and then boat trailers. The Panama Canal is going to cost you about what a trailer is going to. You should also be aware that Baja California will have you beating agains the wind and current. Check out The Baja Bash II, The Essential Survival Guide for Boats, Spirits & Marriages Returning Up Baja by Jim Elfers.

Last edited by LakeSuperiorGeezer; 01-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I am thinking some sort of large snow ski concoction for the Rocky Mountains. Kinda like and ice boat, but one that can go uphill. Its pretty early in the morning. Maybe after my second cup of coffee I will have all the technical details worked out.

Or maybe some sort of hot air balloon contraption...Definetely going to need a second cup of coffee.
Old 01-26-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
It's admittedly hard to take the question seriously from anyone that might have the experience to navigate a boat that far in the first place.

If you're looking for transport, definitely find a trailer. If you're looking for the adventure, the canal is the way to go.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.