SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Marina''s in Florida that are good for liveaboards (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/7198-marinas-florida-good-liveaboards.html)

slimqs 06-10-2003 05:26 AM

Marina''''s in Florida that are good for liveaboards

I am planning to move to Florida''s east coast next summer. Plan to buy a boat and live on it for about a year and then cruise from there. I am wondering about any good marinas in florida near a fairly good size town to work at. My wife is nurse and I program computers so need to be decent size town to get jobs. I was also wondering what the marina fees are at some marinas for a 28 - 30 foot sailboat?? Thank you for your info

knothead 06-11-2003 05:12 PM

I don''t know much about the east coast but there is a lot to be said for Florida''s west coast.I can tell you that the Tampa/St. Pete area has a good selection of marinas that allow livaboards. My wife and I cruised here from Ca. arriving in 93. We were planning to end up on the east coast by way of the "ditch" but because we lost our tiller pilot and I was too lazy to steer all the way, we let the boat decide where to go and she headed to Tampa Bay. And even though I didn''t plan to still be here today, it''s a pretty good place to be if you are into sailing.

slimqs 06-11-2003 07:40 PM

What are the costs for the marina that you are at? Also what are the costs for other marina''s in the tampa area. I was thinking more east coast but am very open to the west coast also..

knothead 06-12-2003 04:24 AM

Since arriving here we have purchased a home on the water where we keep the boat. I would suggest to check into the Saint Petersburg municipal marina or the Harborage marina. There are lots of marinas around. Maybe the City or county of Pinnellas web site will give you more info.
My wife and I own a marine chandlery and consignment shop here and if you would like to communicate with us please email ibeearigger@juno.com

fourknots 06-13-2003 07:45 AM

I lived in Titusville, near Cocoa Beach for several years. The municipal marina is very nice and laid back. I spent about $250/month including elec. if I remember right.

Titusville is about a 30 mile straight shot to Orlando and is maybe 25 miles from Kennedy Space Center. There is also Cape Marina near Kennedy.

Titusville has a brand new hospital. About 45,000 people, a good percentage rednecks. The marina is well protected (except from hurricanes, though the reason NASA set up nearby was the historic low percentage of hurricanes due to the Cape steering them away). All in all, a very inexpensive place to live while you''re setting up to cruise.

Friends lived in Jacksonville for about the same price - much bigger city, but also the downsides; traffic crime, etc.

GordMay 06-13-2003 08:22 AM

Titusville Marina also has Manatee & Dolphins living right inside the breakwater. It''s neat to run a dock hose & watch the Manatee "suckle".
Good place!
Gord

carisea 06-17-2003 10:57 AM

my wife and I live on a sailboat on the intercoastal in Jacksonville, Fl. We both work down town in center city (16miles) Cost is 9.00/ft for a liveaboard. Very close to Jax Beach, Walmart ,Publix ,west marine, only disappoinment is water is color of dark tea not very pretty. also it takes 2 hours to get out to ocean to sail

horizenpro 06-23-2003 12:53 PM

Hi Slimqs,
If you are interested in a nice, quiet, but extremely beautiful area of Florida, you might consider Englewood. It is on the Gulf Coast, just north of the Sanibel, Ft. Myers area, and South of Sarasota, Venice. Stump Pass is pretty shoal but Boca Grand pass at Charlotte Harbor is an easy daysail. From there Key West is an easy overnighter, same for Tampa, etc. Anchor in 9-12 feet on the southwest side of Manasota Key Bridge, then dinghy on over to Chadwick Cove Marina, next to the Captain''s Club Tiki Bar. I''m into on the hook, but I was at the Marina for a year at $8.00 a foot. You''ll find plenty of computer work, I did. Hospitals are everywhere. Get on the radio for local knowledge, or drop me a line, I''ll get you in there. As a 5 year full time cruising veteran, it is my favorite spot north of Key West. Fair Winds!

kokopelli9 06-23-2003 01:52 PM

Do you know what the population is of this area?

thanks

slimqs 06-24-2003 04:28 PM

I am appreciating all of these ideas and welcome more thank you very much everyone for your input it will come in very handy.