Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011

ardoin is on a distinguished road
For hard surfaces, clean with the old style Lysol (the brown bottle stuff that smells like iodine).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
In order to maintain a mold and mildew free cabin after cleaning we have had great success with the product "Damp-Rid". It is not a product to leave hanging in the boat while occupying the space, but excellent to leave in the cabin while you are away. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-19-2011

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Here in the southeast US, where 'low humidity' is in the 50% range, we battle this constantly. Dehumidifiers work reasonably well, but on a typically high humidity day, (or stretches of days) where it can be 80% or higher, it's been our experience there is no magic bullet.

We use chemical dehumidifiers (like Damprid) in the spring/summer months and change them out weekly. Other than that, we wipe the interior 3 or 4 times per year with a white vinegar/water bath. That seems to work well enough.

On a similar line of thought, what do people use to stop running rigging from going green? That is an ongoing battle for us. (If this is too far off topic, I'll re-post...thanks!)
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Last edited by svjobeth; 03-19-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Typos...
Old 03-19-2011

Stickman is on a distinguished road
Mould Mildew

When you say "SE U.S." are you referring to as far down as the Miami area ?

I am from Canada, thinking to keep a boat in the Miami area as I travel here often enough to make reasonable use of it. However, because I may leave the boat for extended periods of time, I would like to know what to expect. More than likely, the boat would stay on a swing mooring.
Old 03-19-2011

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
When you say "SE U.S." are you referring to as far down as the Miami area ?

I am from Canada, thinking to keep a boat in the Miami area as I travel here often enough to make reasonable use of it. However, because I may leave the boat for extended periods of time, I would like to know what to expect. More than likely, the boat would stay on a swing mooring.
We lived in Miami for many years and are in Savannah, GA now. When I wrote my reply, it was with the GA /SC areas in mind. After some thought, I'd say the humidity is about the same when averaged out over the year.

The one difference is in south Florida, it's warmer longer. This may nurture unwanted things to grow. Here, we do get a few chilly weeks.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Last edited by svjobeth; 03-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Coming late to this party but I may have something to add. Sailingdog pretty much covered it but I would like to emphasize that the only long-term solution is ventilation. Dehumidifiers are just band-aids that do not really address the problem. If you can find a copy of the now out of print "The Warm Dry Boat", snap it up. It has all the answers.

In a nutshell, you have to bring fresh air in, through and out of the boat while circulating it through every locker and space in the vessel. The intake vent should be as far as possible from the exhaust vent to allow complete circulation so that water vapor created by cooking, heating and crew respiration, and just high humidity, is carried out of the boat.

We have three passive mushroom intake vents aft, two of them just inches from the transom, one passive exhaust vent over the head, one four inch solar exhaust vent in the forward hatch and one four inch 12V, 2 speed exhaust vent right forward at the bow. There are circulating fans in two of the lockers and passive vents all around to allow interior circulation. Air flows into the cockpit lockers, through a vent into the cabin, through the lockers forward into the forward cabin and head, helped through the lockers under the forward bunk with a circulating fan, and is drawn out through the three exhaust vents forward.

We found we had to create an air space under our mattress and settee cushions to prevent them getting soaked and mildewed from condensation in cold weather. We found a product similar to a loose weave 3M scrubbing pad that goes under the cushions to allow air flow.

In cold humid weather we still get a little condensation in the forward cabin at night but it is not much of a problem. I am considering adding another solar vent.

Or just sailing back to Hawaii so we can leave the hatch open

Over the holidays we left our boat for a month with the solar vent in the forward hatch the only active vent, turning off all the circulating fans and the 12V exhaust vent forward. When we returned to the boat she was dry and sweet smelling so I guess we can say this system works for us.

The book I mentioned, if you can find it, gives formulas for how much air flow per crew member and size of boat. It also has a table showing how much water vapor is created by various types of heating and cooking fuels.

Old 03-20-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I have done most everything suggested except steamclean the cushions, which I'll do this week, I'll look for this book you mentioned.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-20-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
Greetings Earthlings; Ive used Milton it a baby bottle steriliser this was recomended to my by a biulder who had a lot of expence trying to right this problem in a old cottage (1554) in Cheshire and the old Lady (87) next door says she used Milton and has kept the mold at bay for years and it worked in my bilges see similar porducts in local area.GO SAFE
Old 03-21-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
In a nutshell, you have to bring fresh air in, through and out of the boat while circulating it through every locker and space in the vessel. The intake vent should be as far as possible from the exhaust vent to allow complete circulation so that water vapor created by cooking, heating and crew respiration, and just high humidity, is carried out of the boat.
I have had this idea of buying cheap 12v computer cooling fans (around $6) and cutting out behind closets and cabinets so that I could circulate air out of them. Several of them go through to the bilge for obvious reasons, so with several of these in exits cut into the cabinets it would also ventilate the bilge nicely. Of course all has to be ultimately vented to the outside through the cabin.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-21-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
I have had this idea of buying cheap 12v computer cooling fans......
I wonder how long they would stand up to the humidity and salt air.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.