Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
That's just the ticket for interior circulation to keep the lockers dry Tom.

You also need to bring fresh air in and out of the boat.

I found some notes I made from the book:

You should work toward a complete exchange of air hourly so your ventilation system should be designed to flow
15 CFM per crew member (900 cubic feet per hour) plus the volume of the empty boat.

A 30 foot sailboat contains about 1000 cubic feet of air on average.

An occupied boat obviously requires more ventilation than an unoccupied boat. (We found our boat did just fine, unoccupied, in winter conditions with just one 4" solar exhaust vent running. We never close the intakes except in VERY heavy weather.)

Additional vents over the galley and head to carry away water vapor and odors are a good idea.

A 3 " Nicro Day/Night Solar Vent flows 600 CF per hour. The four inch model flows 1000 CF per hour. The exterior cover is the same size. Get the four inch model. They come with two fan blades and can be set up for intake or exhaust. On our boat, we think the intakes can be passive.

The problem we have had with these is that in high latitudes there is just not enough sunlight to keep them running in the winter when you need them most. Unfortunately, Nicro has discontinued the 12V model so we are looking for an alternative. (We have decided we need one more active exhaust vent)

Comment: When we talked about this with people in the Pacific Northwest they always asked if we hadn't had a problem in Hawaii where it is supposed to be so humid. The answer is "No". In Hawaii, we always set up a full length awning over the boat and opened the hatches (Pictures and article). The trade winds flowed through the boat and she was always bone, dusty dry. The mold and mildew problem we found in the high latitudes caught us completely by surprise. We were astonished at how wet the inside of our boat was when we closed her up to keep warm. As always, we learn as we go however. We bought dehumidifiers, we insulated and, finally, we ventilated. Now we are better prepared and more comfortable...

...even with the cold rain that is beating down on the coach roof as I type this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I wonder how long they would stand up to the humidity and salt air.
Computer fans are typically sealed to keep the dust out. Moisture is another thing. I have heard of another C36 owner that has done this too. He did not mention anything. I know that some of the fans are brushless, so that would be a plus.

Because they are so cheap, you could keep spares on-hand.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-21-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
...even with the cold rain that is beating down on the coach roof as I type this.
How about this west coast weather, eh? It's cold and wet here. We currently have a weather alert with gale-force winds at San Pedro. Had a water spout just off the coast of New Port, too.

Can't wait for summer!

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-21-2011

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
I used Bio-Clean green, sprayed on and left, kills all mold and mildew. You can watch those black nasties dissolve and the interior bulkhead turn white again. This is an all natural product, non-toxic and made strictly in the USA. I've started using it on all parts of the boat and have yet to find anything this stuff won't remove or clean.
Old 03-21-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
How about this west coast weather, eh? It's cold and wet here. We currently have a weather alert with gale-force winds at San Pedro. Had a water spout just off the coast of New Port, too.

Can't wait for summer!
We had winds to 56kts last night in addition to buckets of rain, this AM around 6, we had another wave come though with high winds and hail, all is good at the moment, but I see it coming in again.

Plus side ? our 33 yr old Ty37 has but one small leak at a forward port, downside ? our 5yr old Hunter45cc leaks like the Titanic

Gawd I love old boats

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-21-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefer View Post
I used Bio-Clean green, sprayed on and left, kills all mold and mildew. You can watch those black nasties dissolve and the interior bulkhead turn white again. This is an all natural product, non-toxic and made strictly in the USA. I've started using it on all parts of the boat and have yet to find anything this stuff won't remove or clean.
Looks like you can only buy it online. Have you seen it in any of the stores?

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 03-23-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We use Amazon's "Mildew Stain-Away." (chlorine-free). I haven't found it online, they used to sell it at Boater's World before they went bankrupt; our marina ships store carries it. Nice because it wont bleach fabric the way chlorine will if it drips. We spray surfaces and leave a film of Amazon (don't wipe) and its hugely improved the mold situation - we're fulltime liveaboards including winters in the US mid-Atlantic coast snow and rain.

Also we put a layer of HyperVent from Defender under all cushions to improve air circulation; great product.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-23-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Also we put a layer of HyperVent from Defender under all cushions to improve air circulation; great product.
Hypervent! That's the stuff we use under our cushions. I can never remember the name. It works great.

Old 03-23-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Hypervent is duly noted.

S/V Footprints

Youtube