Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011

NCShadowdragn is on a distinguished road
NC Marina Liveaboard - Utility Costs

We decided to liveaboard our 34' sailboat back in Oct. 2010. In Jan. 2011 our dock at the marina caught fire during the middle of the night. We barely escaped with our lives and boat although not without minimal injuries and outside boat damage. We returned to the marina and moved our boat two docks down. Two months later, the marina raised their rates and ours is now $82 more per month which makes the monthly rate more than we want to pay considering the amenities provided and distance from my landbased job. Our utilities have been included in our monthly rent. We've found a slip to rent elsewhere with a much lower monthly rent (half what we currently pay and is a one year old marina with nice floating docks) but our utilities will be metered and billed separately. My fiance thinks the utilities will be minimal but I'm more of a planner and am wondering if any liveaboards out there pay their utilities directly and if so maybe what an average cost is. Our fridge runs off battery but we will be running our hot water heater, toaster oven, lights, TV, and of course heat and a/c in the cold/hot months. I know all areas rates are different but any figures you could throw out would be most appreciated. We will be the first liveaboards at this particular marina so I've been unable to get any idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance for any input. If we won't be saving a substantial amount I'd probably just assume stay where we are but the rates are just really high for what you get and considering the docks aren't in great shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We are metered in the winter. Our heater is 12v diesel fired. We run our battery charger, lighting, HW heater and during the winter months it is about $30/month. We also have solar but that does very little in the winter.

We will run AC in the summer but will not be metered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-25-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I've got the same situation as treilley, and I have the same equipment running plus a desktop computer running 24/7. My bills have been $43/mo so far this winter. My electric meter just went nuts the other day and was recording me consuming 6000W (from my 30A connection, no less) so my bill for March is being disputed with the marina owners...

If your heat is reverse cycle provided through your AC unit, it will be the same power draw running the heat in the winter as it is the AC in the summer. That will cost a lot! And you can't use reverse cycle heat when the water temperature goes below about 42 degrees F, so you'd have to supplement with space heaters (REALLY expensive). I don't know if it gets that cold in NC, though.

Last edited by rmeador; 03-25-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Boats aren't designed to be energy efficient so it really depends on how warm do you want it and how much effort you make to improve the insulation (either on the inside or outside).
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 03-25-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
In Florida, no solar, but I have a fridge, water heater, sometimes a space heater running, 32ft boat and my bill has been about $40-45 a month.
Old 06-11-2011

bychance is on a distinguished road
Hello, let me tell you how I solved that problem..Several of us (livaboards) stayed on our boats at a commercial marina at Carolina Beach several years ago, and one day the owner sold out to large company and our rates went to the sky...sooo most of us just moved out and looked for renting a slip from private residences along the ICW...rent is much cheaper, and we are all happy///good luck
Old 06-25-2011

Ravenlair is on a distinguished road
What is one of the best way to locate private docks for rent?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.